• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep apnoea(prob spelt wrong) testing

dreamofbeingslim

Can't wait for next appt
Can anyone who has had the surgery tell me does everyone have to have a sleep apnoea test done. I have read on a few threads about people having them but not sure if it everyone.:confused:

hi dreamof beingslim,
i can only really speak for myself and the sleep apnea test ( i have prob spelt it wrong too). When i went for my initial consultation and we discussed me having the gastric bypass the dr asked my hubby did i snore (not that he would be able to hear me over him lol). He said that i didn't snore that bad (bless him) but the dr said that i would have the test done anyway. I beleive that it is better to have it done as it helps the anesthesiologist (absolutely not a clue how to spell that sorry) for the operation.
Looking at your other posts are you waiting to here about funding? There is nothing worse! xxxx

Hi Sue thank you for your reply. You made me laugh when you said hubby wouldn't hear you above himself I too have that problem lol. Yes I haven't heard anything about funding but sent them an email over the weekend so hopefully might hear something this week. Seeing my dr on Friday so I might get her to chase them aswell because she asks me every time I go if I have heard anything.

When I went for my consult with the nutritionist, she gave me a 'sleep apnea' test which consisted of about 10 questions like 'do you find that you drop off to sleep when sat in traffic'. There was no actual test like described in this thread, with the box and wires etc... Is that normal procedure?

Can anyone who has had the surgery tell me does everyone have to have a sleep apnoea test done. I have read on a few threads about people having them but not sure if it everyone.:confused:

Hi,

Speaking for myself. I snore for England and my daughter said I stop breathing.

I was referred by my GP, the Sleep Apnea people gave her some question to ask me and if you score is over a certain amount they do the test. I was boaderline.

My referral was completley separate from my WLS referral. Though the WLS consultant did send me a questioaire to fill out and the one of the question sheet were the same as what the GP had asked me.

By coincidence both my appointments for the WLS consultant and the Sleep Apnea consultant were on the same day in the same hospital.

WLS consultant didn't think I needed the test, but I had already seen Sleep Apnea consultant and he had put me down to have the test.

Thanks Pinky.

Thanks Bexmoss86 I don't know if box and wires is standard proceedure but I just don't want anything like a mask putting over my face because I will panic. When I had my gall bladder out I asked the aneasthetist not to put a mask over my face to put me to sleep. Thankfully he didn't.

Thanks Pinky.

Thanks Bexmoss86 I don't know if box and wires is standard proceedure but I just don't want anything like a mask putting over my face because I will panic. When I had my gall bladder out I asked the aneasthetist not to put a mask over my face to put me to sleep. Thankfully he didn't.

Hi Sharron,

Take a look at the thread I started about my sleep study. Click on the link and there is a pic of Brett. I had the same fine tube as him, it only just enters the nose and is not completley covering your face.

Managed to cut and paste pic.
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/91159-sleep-studies-anyone.html

Last edited:
nooo probs! None of the questions applied to me so I just answered no to all. I dont think i could sleep with a mask on either! Id panic too! I wonder if the machine makes a noise - i think that would keep me awake too!

:D hi sharon, yes i heard only last week from the PCT and things have moved very quickly since then.
It took just under 4 weeks from when the letter was sent to the PCT from the hospital. The lady from the PCT called me (which i thought was lovely of her) to tell me that i got the funding and that a letter had been sent to the Surgeon. The very next day i had a call from the Surgeons team for my pre- op appointment. Doesn't get any better than that eh! :D:D:D Hope you here very soon!

The machine I had didn't look like Bretts and I only had to put some Velcro around my finger . I got that test done in Jan 09 but still haven't got word back from them . I know my mum has it and my dad had it as well . And I snore like a P.I.G and everybody complains to me about it .
Even my poor little granddaughter Teigan pushes me when I nod off saying Nana your scaring me when you snore God luv her .
MARGARET XX

I had the sleep apnoea testing done before I got my op date - the actual test is very simple..

you have a velcro band which goes round you and it registers your breathing, a small monitor onto your finger to measure your bllod oxygen sturation as you sleep and a very fine tube which sits just inside the bottom of your nose.. then you take everything back to sleep clinic and they assess the results..

if you are found to have o.s.a then yes - you do have to sleep with a mask on and the c.p.a.p. (constant positive air pressure) machine - is quiet to begin with. it puffs a very light breath of air into your mouth or nose as you sleep to prevent the throat muscles collapsing - which is what sleep apnoea basically is. As you sleep, your throat muscles relax and cause you to snore.. when they get to the point where your breath cant pass - you wake with a 'gasp' or a 'grunt' - which is your body telling you to breath and wake yourself up - to drift back off to sleep.. They set the machine at a certain pressure for you based on the results of the sleep study and it wont go above a set pressure either. Mine starts at 4 and wont go above 16.

with me - they found it was so bad - I was lucky to be here (not meaning to scare you - everyone is different).. not only were I having 'apnoeas' but hypopneas as well.. these are two different things.... the c.p.a.p also helps with that.

one thing though - if you are found to have it - there are a couple of different styles of mask so you would need to explain of your fear of having it on your face.. I hated anything on mine but have got used to it now.. and its helped make sure I wake in the morning..

before reading further - remember - EVERYONE is different.. but here's one experience have had recently..

(one night, had the mask on and woke @ 6.55am - knowing alarm was due to go off at 7.10, I went toilet and got back into bed but didnt think would fall back to sleep so didnt bother putting mask back on. At 7.26am, had hubby shaking me quite harshly and calling my name.. he was white as a sheet. I'd gone straight off and my breathing was so shallow he couldnt tell if I was breathing, I wasnt moving, there were 4 alarms going off - all on high volume - and I wasnt stirring. He thought I'd died. In fact - I was almost comatose because my breathing had gone to the almost point of me needing help. I was very lucky. Now I wear it regardless - even when going for a nap through the day..)

good luck with everything

That must of being pretty scarey Mands.

Thanks for all your feed back everyone I like to know what to expect. I think I could cope with what Brett had to wear. Thanks Pinky.

That was quick Sue hope you don't need to wait too long for your surgery. I am hoping I will hear this week if not I think I might bug them every week until I hear. lol. Good luck Sue. I will keep you all informed of any progress.

Hi Dream of Being Slim

My surgeon told me that if you are over a certain BMI and have a neck circumference of 17" or above then you may be at risk of sleep apnoea. I had to have a test despite only scoring 1 on the written test. It was very simple - was strapped to a small machine which I was able to take home - two little oxygen blips up my nose and a plastic thing on my finger - wasnt particularly easy to sleep especially also having had a cold and a cat asleep on my chest but we got a reading and I didnt have it!

Having the sleep apnoea test was the first thing my dietician said she would want me to do, so I got all hooked up, went home and tried to sleep which I found nigh-on impossible, I have to say! Anyhoo, the results came back as severe sleep apnoea which really did surprise me, tbh. I knew I snored cos hubby kept telling me, but had no idea I actually stopped breathing. Now I use the cpap machine every night and no longer wake with headaches and I actually feel like I've had some decent kip. It freaked me out no end in the beginning though, having this mask strapped on to my face - I'd just be all settled and drifting off, then something would wake me and there was this restricting mask on my face and a couple of times it did get ripped off! All's well now though. I just needed to give myself a little time to adjust to it. I wouldn't say we're "best buddies" now, but I won't sleep without it.

It is surprising what we do when we have to isn't it wobble. I should think you are greatful to your dietician otherwise it could of gone unnoticed. My husband says I snore but I am sure its no way near the amount he does lol. Take care.

Back