• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another question! (sorry) Sleep position

I've had a quick search and the recommended sleep position seems to be on back propped up.

I'm quite worried about it tbh as I CANNOT sleep on my back. I had 7ops on my lower back/top of bottom a few years back and if I either lie on back or sit for long periods am in loads of pain.

I normally sleep half on my front, half on my side with one leg hitched up but know I won't be able to do this post op for a few wks and wondering how I'm gonna blooming sleep lol

How has anyone found sleeping on your sides?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

You sleep in the same position as me :D
I had an open gastric bypass and I found lots of pillows helped me, one under my knees and one shoved under my side so I wasn't quiet on my back (if that makes sense :confused:) and 4 under my head and shoulders so I was more sitting up that lasted 2 weeks before I could lie on my side and then I had a pillow under my belly to hold it up slightly. That also protected my wound from hubbies elbows. HTH

Hmmmm

Last edited:
Think I might have to have an experimental night before op and see if I can get comfy like that!

Although sounds like I'll have to make a trip to Ikea as I only sleep with one pillow and I only like the feather ones from there!!!

Yh, jus gonna have a trail and error experiment! Lol

I never sleep on my back but did the two nights in hospital. Loved my bed with the moveable back and foot as you're not completely laying flat :) At home I slept propped up somewhat and mostly on my side. But it didn't last long until I slept on my front again (less than 10 days staples still in!).

oh cripes. my dog sleeps on my bed with me and frequently kicks me in the back. Think I'll have to train him to sleep on the floor.

oh cripes. my dog sleeps on my bed with me and frequently kicks me in the back. Think I'll have to train him to sleep on the floor.

my dog sleeps on my bed too, naughty isnt it! :eek: But she was really good when i came back from the op and resisted sleeping on me...i think she knew i wasnt well!

If you manage to get the dog off the bed, please share any tips! x

my dog sleeps on my bed too, naughty isnt it! :eek: But she was really good when i came back from the op and resisted sleeping on me...i think she knew i wasnt well!

If you manage to get the dog off the bed, please share any tips! x

haha there is no way baxter will be really good! He considers it to be his bed and I've often given up and gone on the sofa, only to be woken up minutes later when he jumps on me.

My dog isn't allowed on the bed and knows it!!! It on the penalty of death that he steps foot on it lol

if you do find a way of keeping your dog off your bed id be gratful to hear too,but only in the summer cos she lays on my cold feet in the winter,lol,its weird how they seem to know when people are unwell or pregnant,my one is so gentle around my pregnant daughter, i like the tip about the pillow under tummy ,i was so worried about turning and pullin the clips when i have my op,ouch!

i cant sleep on my back and never found it a problem 2 sleep on my side straight after my opp.even in hosp i slept on my side the night after opp and it never botherd me at all

I can not sleep on my back either and I worried about this a lot pre-op.
So I brought a second hand recliner chair out of the local paper. Best £40 I spent.. lol
It was well worth it!

In the hospital it was ok as the bed adjusted to half sitting/half lying so I could sleep on my back. I did try to lie on side, bit ohhhhhhhhhh no the pain was horrendous and I couldn't breath.

When I came home I slept on the recliner for 10 days. I just put a duvet on the bottom and a duvet over me and slept really well.

Every night I would try my bed first and to lie on my side and was so pleased that on day 10 I could lie in my usual position :)
I normally sleep like you in a "sort of" recovery position. Zzzzzzzzzz

Jay
xXx

Funny I always slept on my side prior to my op, then just after I had to be on my back but I used a fairly baggy bean bag under my pillows and it sort of moulded to a comfy position for me. This far out , I still have the bean bag and go to sleep propped up on my back but sometimes find I wake up more on my side.
However my port (I know different op sorry) is placed on my chest and it aches if I am on my side (squashes it maybe?) for too long.
I think you can adapt a bit , plus things like those long body cushions might help as well.

thats great jay ,i bought recliners that no ones ever bothered using, at least they may get some use now !x

Back