• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve and diarrhoea. Sorry for the TMI

Bear

I'm two weeks post op and have been doing really well. Getting calories down and drinking well.

Poo wise, in the first two weeks I probably had about 3 movements - all solid. Then this morning I had what felt like labour pains and then .............diarrhoea. Then the same has happened again tonight. I've googled the problem and it appears to be fairly common, and I do recall my surgeon telling me about possible diarrhoea when I met him at my consultation.

I guess the question is, I've still got a week of liquids left and then 3 weeks of purée before I start on soft food - have I got these pains and the diarrhoea for all that time, or is there anything I can do to ease it?

Week 2 of liquids I had a couple of episodes of explosive diarrhoea. I had it about an hour and a half after having skimmed milk or unsweetened almond milk with ovoaltine (both times it was particularly bad).

I quit drinking milk, and slowly the big diarrhoea stopped, although my stool is frequently not so firm (but I also don't have a gall bladder, so that could be part of why, it has happened most of my life).

I'm a couple of months out, and it has subsided a lot, in fact I get constipated now and again instead ;)

Thanks Shell. I think it was because it was so sudden that it shocked me a little. Will try and cut down on my milky coffees this week and see if that helps.

It's not pleasant Karina. Am at the stage tonigh when I'm running to the loo every time I think I might have wind. :-(. Hope it passes. Will go and get some soy milk tomorrow.

I'm two weeks post op and have been doing really well. Getting calories down and drinking well. Poo wise, in the first two weeks I probably had about 3 movements - all solid. Then this morning I had what felt like labour pains and then .............diarrhoea. Then the same has happened again tonight. I've googled the problem and it appears to be fairly common, and I do recall my surgeon telling me about possible diarrhoea when I met him at my consultation. I guess the question is, I've still got a week of liquids left and then 3 weeks of purée before I start on soft food - have I got these pains and the diarrhoea for all that time, or is there anything I can do to ease it?
I would start purees now, your body sounds like it needs it, I'm 11 days post op, And started purees yesterday I was supposed to do it on day 14 , but I was so tried and lacked engery ,after a dinner of puréed sweet spud,carrot and broccoli and chicken with gravy, I'm feeling so much better today,

Last edited:
Got some lactofree milk today. Will email my provider now and see what they say.

Reading your posts about diarrhea, I seem to be completely opposite. I haven't been to proper toilet for 2 weeks now when I started the LSD. I have thought maybe because I haven't eaten anything really. I am wondering whether I should start taking some laxatives now

Did you just have your op a few days ago though Nina?

I'd check with your team, but would have thought it would be too early.

I had a day free of diarrhoea yesterday, but have had another nasty episode this morning. I'm on lactofree milk and I think it might be helping. My provider has also recommended Yakult, so will pop and get that in a bit.

From the last day of my LSD.and post op ,I was 7 days until number 2's I had to get medication from the doctor, to help, now I go every 2/3 days I'm 13 days post op.

From the last day of my LSD.and post op ,I was 7 days until number 2's I had to get medication from the doctor, to help, now I go every 2/3 days I'm 13 days post op.

Thats exactly how i am post my bypass.. I am 4 weeks post op.. After day 3 if i didnt go i take senna liquid.

I'd bought a load of Senna and Dulcolax in preparation for the constipation! Will have to bung everyone else up so we can use it! lol

Back