• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeved 31/5/16 in Brno.

Patsyfield1

Hi folks.

I'm new to the site and just plucked up courage to post. I had my sleeve last Tuesday in the Czech Republic. Everything went really well and as of today's date I have lost 21lbs. Yippee!! Managing post op diet ok & feeling great. I have no knee pain and I am sleeping much better.

The only issue is my GP. I didn't qualify for nhs funding BMI 37 and weight 17' 5. I told my GP I was having surgery abroad and she was very off about it. I said I was actually saving the nhs money and taking a proactive steps to manage my long term health I hoped to be referred to a dietician afterwards to monitor my new diet, do the nec bloods tests etc.

I went to GP Monday with the op report. This says I should be under the supervision of a dietician. Gp said she'd refer me to the bariatric team. But she rings the next day, they have had a doctors meeting and because I went abroad they will not refer me, but 'try' and deal with me at the practice. can I push for a referral or I am stuck with their decision. has anyone else had this problem?

Initially I felt really down, but I have decided not to let it ruin a positive decision. hopefully I can self manage and just push for the blood tests 6 monthly. What do you think, any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be great.

Patsyfield

Hi Patsy

First of all welcome to the Forums!

Secondly well done with getting your sleeve done i hope you're enjoying it :D

Lastly - protest it, they arent legally allowed to decline you your treatment to NHS as you are a UK citizen. It may be worth going under another doctor - some GP doctors have certain opinions about the operation and then let them suade the treatment plan. Maybe look into other surgeries in your area who are able to help? They aren't allowed to NOT refer you as it's part of the NHS scheme to help their patients become healthy. If it'll help i can scan my Diet sheet booklet given to me to help you with the first 3 stages of liquids/pureed and soft foods. Let me know and i'll bring it to work with me tomorrow scan it then email you it. It was given to me by the NHS :)

HAve a good day.

Cassie xx

Thanks for the advise Cassie

I wondered if them managing it covers the nhs obligation. I think I am just going to make another appointment push and complain if I need to.

I have a comprehensive diet sheet from the clinic and am taking chewable muti vits and mins,calcium and iron. I did lots of research pre op. I feel I know way more that the GP, who I had to ask to look at my incisions, take my blood pressure and weigh me.

Unfortunately they are the only surgery in my town, but I will look elsewhere if there is not a change of attitude.

Hi welcome. It's good to hear good feedback about Brno. Im having my revision to sleeve there on Tuesday. I fly out on Monday. Eliza who is on this group is in Brno at the moment. She had her sleeve done 2 days ago. Fight for being ref but again if they agree to do your blood tests and give you advice when you need it then I guess it's ok. My experience from having a band is that the dietician will advise you on things you already know but they are good for supporting you in the right direction.

Hi patsy and welcome ! It does sound like your surgery are being very unfair .. I always thought the NHS has a duty of care for all their patients ..
Would you mind telling me how much you paid for your op ? I've been trying to find out prices for my daughter as I don't think she will be able to afford to have it done here in uk ..
Thank you and again welcome !
Mindy
Xxx

Hello and welcome :)
Congratulations on your loss to date, it sounds like you are doing really well and did a thorough job of researching the op and knowing what you need to do now. I'm so sorry your GP was less than supportive though. It looks like you've had some great advice about that already and it also sounds like you're prepared to stand your ground if needs be but I hope it doesn't come to that x

Hi Mindy

I went with Beautiful Beings. Teresa there was really helpful cheating me through everything and making the arrangements with the clinic.

http://m.beautifulbeings.co.uk/

the website gives the prices for each procedure under weight loss. I found the whole process pretty easy and I was given lots of support and advise. But I was very glad to get home.

I hope you daughter is able to find the one for her.

Hi Sunshine

All the best for next week. The clinic is very comfortable and I found the staff very friendly and their English was good. They do take good care of you. On Wednesday you'll wonder how you'll be well enough to come home but I felt fantastic on the Thursday and was itching to get home. I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday x

Patsyfield

Back