• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

"slow weightloss"...reality check tonight!

Ruthiep

As you probably have noticed, I've done a fair amount of whingeing on here recently about my weightloss stall for the past week to ten days.

This evening I went to see the dietitian immediately before the support group at the hospital. I'd say on balance the latter was more helpful.

The dietitian was lovely, but all she said was:
You are doing FINE. You've lost more than enough weight for this stage.

Your food intake is fine, I can't fault it except maybe get a little more roughage in, in the form of high fibre breakfast cereal, to get your bowels moving.

Don't weigh yourself more than once a week. (now where have I heard THAT before??)

Everybody loses at different rates, don't compare yourself with ANYONE on any forums.

You are NOT, repeat NOT on a diet. Diets are quick fixes. This is for life. So what's the rush?

Thinking about it now, it's more or less what the people on the support group said too so I don't know why I found them more useful than what she said..

Only it was HUGELY HUGELY helpful for me to hear that not every sleever lost a stone a month; in fact most lost at my rate. Mr. Sufi my surgeon said, drawing a zigzag line downwards "you don't lose weight in a straight line, you lose weight like this. You will stall and start again. Don't stress about it."

The bariatric nurse, Kirsty, said that we aren't computers, our bodies don't work on a strict in and out basis. Also we don't lose weight on a weekly basis either, so if I can leave it longer than a week I'd be doing myself a favour by not getting despondent so often.

I think that the biggest help was the realism in the room. People who had their op months before me had only lost a stone or so more than me so why was I being so impatient? As said before, this is a life thing not a diet. It will happen. I just have to stop freaking about it.

I do feel much much better and so glad I went. I intend to put the scales somewhere not so accessible...tomorrow. After I weigh myself one last time for a week LOL.

It does sound like you're all "singing from the same hymn-sheet":)xxx

BIN THE BLOODY SCALES RUTHIE THEY ARE EVIL EVIL CONTRAPTIONS!!!!!!!
Seriously, they are friend or foe and scientifically as I said in a previous post.... When fat cells are broken down the body naturally replaces the cells with water which is also then expelled, your body can hold onto this water for any period of time in case of famine/dehydration etc so water is important to flush it all through, it is highly unlikely that you will STS for more than 2weeks.
I can tell you that when I followed CD originally I had the record for STS weeks, it was a standing joke... What I did find was I would lose big amounts 1 week in 3 then a smaller amount another week and on average STS twice a month .... It used to really pee me off and forum results really used to put me on a downer, so, as hard as it is try not to get on the scales you should and when they done budge stick your fingers up at them, the scales will not defeat you!!!! xxxxxx

Hi Ruthie,

Thanks for your update. I had my sleeve op on 20th December and was despondent that I had not lost a great deal since the op so this was really useful.

Kind regards,

Marian

I'm throwing my scales and gettin weighed at Tesco 1ce a week then I know I can only do it 1ce a week cos I drive myself mad with them n I haven't had my op yet! Xx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

Ruthie you have made me feel so much BETTER, i to stress about my weightloss when I read that other people with Bypass are losing so much faster than me. I had the same things said to me but also that i was much OLDER then other people and that to makes a difference (the cheeky mare lol). I now also think that without the op I would not be losing at all but gaining more weight. I am now much more relaxed and i to have tried (Tried to stop weighing myself so often. (note the TRIED lol). So glad you are feeling better about things hun bug hugs Mags xxx

I wouldn't dare be presumptous or anything, but maybe my post might qualify to be a sticky if it's useful to a lot of people?
:kissass:

I intend to put the scales somewhere not so accessible...tomorrow. After I weigh myself one last time for a week LOL.

Ditch them, Ruthie!

I feel quite relieved sometimes that I *don't* have scales at home. (Used to but not for years.)

Home scales are never as reliable as professional ones, can vary from day to day, or wobble and vary on the floor surface. Professional scales (like in Tesco or Boots) have a much better platform, and are properly calibrated.

I only weigh once a week at Boots ..... and after my op while I am resting at home for 4 weeks (or 6 weeks / whatever) I will NOT be able to weigh until I return to work and go and put 50p in the Boots machine again !!!!

This should hopefully take one of the post-op headaches away from me (worrying whether the op has worked and "am I losing any weight yet?" as many people on here appear to do) ...... and enable me to concentrate on sticking to the post-op diet and taking care of myself.

I too go to boots once a week!

I do not own a set of scales they are evil!! Lol

I know me I would be weighing myself morning, noon and night grrr!!

Remember hun every1 is different what ever loss you have is a good 1 and if you are not losing pounds you are losing inches so you are losing either way!!

Keep positive and happy losing ;)

Tc
Love
Jojo xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Ruthie
You have cheered me up today reading your post. I have struggled with weight loss over the past 4 weeks due to having problems with my left kidney. I have been feeling awful and with no weight loss getting myslef down with it. But after reading your post I noe feel more positive about my sleeve and losing the weight. As you say its not a diet it is a life changing event which I am going to love.

Thanks again
Sheila x

I love my scales, I have 2 sets. I have only managed 2 days of not weighing. I am realistic about the fluctuations too, so they don't upset me. It would drive me mad if I had to wait to weigh in boots 5 miles away. My scales are very good, they dont weight different on different parts of the floor, and they weigh the same as each other and the same as the hospital scales. They are not all unreliable.

I love my scales, I have 2 sets. I have only managed 2 days of not weighing. I am realistic about the fluctuations too, so they don't upset me. It would drive me mad if I had to wait to weigh in boots 5 miles away. My scales are very good, they dont weight different on different parts of the floor, and they weigh the same as each other and the same as the hospital scales. They are not all unreliable.

can i have a set please mine are stuck !!:flirt2:

lol Doughie. I had a good one that was a pressie from my son, then after I had my op instead of flowers, hubby bought me an all singing all dancing set. They weigh muscle, fat, water etc as well. I love them. x

Mm I could not ditch my scales, they HELP keep me on the straight and narrow. My weight goes up and down throughout the month like marie, but I now feel I am more in tune with my body, so don't 'do guilt' anymore. Go with the flow and enjoy ... As ruthie said, this is for life!! :D

Back