• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So gutted!! Bypass postponed yet again!! :(

voluptuouschick

Hi everyone,

I just don't know what to think or do.
I am so at my wits end & really upset as I was into my 3rd day of my liver shrinking diet (I was due to have a gastric bypass next Wednesday at St James's Leeds)
when I received a phone call from the hospital to say it had been postponed for SIX weeks until 26th August !! :( :mad:

They said the senior anaesthetist was away? ... & nobody under him was able to perform such a major operation. - surely they would have known when he was off???
I have received a letter this morning just stating that it had been cancelled & they would contact me in due course (there isn't even the 26th August on there!)

What makes matters worse was I was originally given todays date (15 July) by the surgeon himself & that was altered a few weeks ago !

I have had problems from day one what with one thing and another & am beginning to think this will never happen
has this happened to anyone else?
Sorry for moaning everyone :cry:
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Vicky
In the NHS Surgeons & Anaesthetists unfortunately only have to give 6 weeks notice of annual leave. I suspect this is whats happened in your case.
How long have you been waiting in total? National wait times are 18 weeks fromreferral to treatment but in most hospitals performing WLS they negotiate a little longer because of waiting list pressures. Your PCT should know or your local health authority.
I feel so sorry for you chuck, just keep giving the waiting list dept grief, they will eventually get fedupand get you in.
Remember - (s)he who shouts loudest gets what she wants!
x

Hi Kazzie,

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm feeling terrible so to know this can happen with nhs staff helps a bit ,

It's all a bit of a long story but basically this is what happened:

June 2008 my gp referred me for surgery but unfortunately wrongly referred me directly to a surgeon when he should have sent me to weight management first, this took 8 weeks to sort out.

September 2008 appointment at weight management clinic who agreed surgery was best for me & referred me to the hospital dietician.

December 2008 (beginning) appointment with hospital dietician who also agreed surgery was best & applied for funding for me

December 2008 (end) funding agreed on condition I had sleep apnea test.
January 2009 my Gp referred me for a sleep apnea test to a clinic that had been closed down for 6 weeks so lost another 5 week there
when I eventually had a sleep apnea test at the correct place it was negative.

April 20th 2009 saw surgeon who told me I would be having my op on 15th July (today) as long as pre op tests etc were all fine (I have had all these in May & they were all fine)

June 2009 received letter saying they had to postpone the operation for a week from 15th July to 22nd July.

Last Sunday began liver shrinking diet as requested, yesterday phone call from hospital & today letter from hospital.

I know unexpected things happen a lot but, with having depression & panic attacks etc I guess it makes me feel worse
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

aww hun, that's awful news:cry::cry:mine was cancelled once and that was bad enough.Let's hope they stick to the new date xx:D

so so sorry to hear of your delay :( it must be such a let down for you. but kazzie was right do nag the waiting list people (they will probably find you something sooner to make you stop ringing!!!) hope you hear something really soon x

So sorry to read that - keep strong this WILL happen for you!
Hugs to you
Lx

Hi Vicky. Sorry to hear your ops been postponed again. It does happen sometimes (I know as it happened with me) but you will get there soon. I think like this, its happening for a reason.If you're not meant to have the op on that day then so be it.The time just isnt right. When you do get your op you'll be fine sweetheart because thats the day its meant to be.

This has to be one of the most frustrating things to cope with.

I don't know what to suggest.

If it were me I would ring up and ask if you could have the 26th put in writing, and maybe be referred to another hospital if that is going to be cancelled too.

Easy for me to say I know...but keep your chin up

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Hi Vicky. Sorry to hear your ops been postponed again. It does happen sometimes (I know as it happened with me) but you will get there soon. I think like this, its happening for a reason.If you're not meant to have the op on that day then so be it.The time just isnt right. When you do get your op you'll be fine sweetheart because thats the day its meant to be.

Good way of looking at it Gaynor!

(((hugs)))

Awwe you poor love, I know exactly how you feel because that kept happening to me. I even ended up on the pre-op diet for just over a month because the nurses kept saying telling me to stay on it even though my appointments has been changed.

I know this is small concellation at the moment but time will fly by quickly and you'll be joining us on the losing side before you know it.

(((Hugs)))
Bonita
xx

I am so sorry it has been rescheduled. I hope they will do it next time for sure.

Its going to happen and you will have the top people working on you so just hang on in there - 26 August is not that far away and it will go fast. Enjoy the next few weeks of hopefully good weather, get some R&R and chill chill chill - it will be here before you know it.

Just thinking hun, when I was being messed about with cancellations etc, I kept on ringing the PCT and the hosp until they got sick of me :D:D

So sorry for you Vicky :(
Hopefully the new date will be here before you know it xx

Hello everyone!
Will you all keep your fingers tightly crossed for me please?... as I've been on phone with admissions team at hospital this week who confirmed i was going in on 25th August for my gastric bypass on 26th & coz its been cancelled twice they have a back up bed arranged for me too so am hoping its 3rd time lucky!
Omg liver shrinking diet again tomorrow eeeeeeeeks
Thanks a million !
Love n huggs to you all

very best of luck vicky, sounds as tho theres no way it can be postponed again

Back