• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blood pressure

Paula1975

I had, well attempted to have my bp checked when i last had my repeat pill, the time before that they said it was high, not dangerously, but i was still allowed it.(the one i'm on is best for overweight) Anyways they want me to get it checked so going gp friday. A colleague of mine is having a hernia op but was delayed due to high bp, he is 60 and not overweight. it was postponed at pre op until his bp went down. Would they do the same if my bp was high at pre op? I thought high bp was a "given" if we are overweight. I'm sorry if this not correct. but i dont want this postponed. I am 1 month today away from op

Yes they will postpone your operation if you BP is considered not safe for surgery. I didn't know I had high blood pressure until a few weeks before the op, they went on a mission to get it down in time. They did and my operation went ahead. If you are concerned discuss it at your pre op (or maybe even your GP before then) - they will check it then. The nurses liaised with my GP's surgery and got them to put me on a strong dose of meds to get in down in time, if they are worried maybe they will increase your meds. They will want it to happen when they've book the date for so they will do what they can to make sure you are fit for surgery. I got mine down in 1 week so if yours is a little high, a month should be plenty of time. Good luck :) x

it was taken, well attempted to at fpc, not at gp. will see what happens tomorrow

Well got it tested at gp, was high, but he said they don't treat on one reading, he said see what happens at pre op. If it's high then he said call him n we can get it treated in time for op

oh thats good then, try not to worry too much I had a nightmare time on that front, my blood pressure was never high till the day of the preop, the preop nurse told me she was guna take some bloods later on then went onto details of the bypass and 10 mins later got round to takn my bp then bloods next well they can never find my veins an dworry was settin in bp sky high, she said surgeon wouldnt touch with that, sent me off for a trace was ok. WeNT HOME VERY UPSET, didn't know if i would get the op in a fortnight or not. Had to go to gp,s evry other day for 2 weeks and get it took and take readings in to hos with me. I did that all the readings were still high the nurse at gp surgery took it manually and said my veins were very deep and it was jard to detect on the electronic mon itors and was easier to do it manual and to ask ast hospital. The hospital on the dya of admission said there was no one trained to do bp manually all used the electronic machine hubby n I jus looked at each other i was ready to cry took it and it was still high nurse said nothing, I explained whta I had been doing and showed her other readings she said some are much higher and it would be fine I spent a whole fortnight worrying and wondering if the op wpuld happen or not along with the stress of the preop diet and worry of the op, was a constant nightmare think thats why I WAS SOOO CALM when it cma to having the op once I knew I was having the op nxt day I just deflated and relaxed knowing all would be well don't know how I never had a heartattack or stroke how much more stress can a person take so try not to worry too much that preop nurse put the fear of god into me. Good luck with it all it will be fine.xx

They usually take three readings to get a general idea of your blood pressure. Although it may read slightly high, that may be normal for you. So I wouldn't worry too much at this point :)

Back