• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So much has happened in 1 year!

Lizzo

Hi All,

I haven't been on this site much in the past few months, but, as it's one year today since my Gastric Bypass, I thought I'd share my experiences. The good news is that I have lost about nine and a half stones, and now feel a heck of a lot better! I still want to lose at least another 6 stones, so can't rest on my laurels.

The bad news is that, 3 months after my op, I suffered a perforated duodenal ulcer and had to have emergency surgery and 2 weeks in hospital on a drip. Then, as a result of that I developed a huge abscess below my diaphragm which, as well as making me feel very sick, also caused my lung to partially collapse. So, another 2 weeks in hospital ensued.

It has taken a long time to recover, but I've now (hopefully!) come through it. Considering the rate at which I lost weight when I was ill, I have been very lucky with my skin, as, apart from the inevitable 'bingo wings', it has shrunk back reasonably well (for a 54 year old anyway!).

I can't deny that there were times when I regretted having the bypass, but now it's all behind me, I do think that it was the best thing I could have done. My quality of life has improved, I am more mobile, and my self-confidence has been boosted off the scale!

Wow, what an up and down year you've had! Am so glad you've made it on the road to recovery and also in terms of your loss.

Happy surgiversary!

What a time you've had. Bless you. Perhaps now you'll be able to actually enjoy that weight loss! Well done, and good luck with shifting the rest x

good grief, you didn't have minor complications did you? lol

Glad to hear there are no regrets now and that your self esteem has risen - i'm due for surgery in a month and I can't remember my self esteem being this low for a longggg time.

good grief, you didn't have minor complications did you? lol

Glad to hear there are no regrets now and that your self esteem has risen - i'm due for surgery in a month and I can't remember my self esteem being this low for a longggg time.

All the very best for your surgery, love! I was just very unlucky, and the odds are that you'll sail through it!

It's difficult to overstate how much difference it will make to your whole outlook on life. I know that our weight should not influence how we perceive ourselves, but it does, and none of us would go through this if it was not important to us.

So, start looking forward to the rest of your life!

Back