• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

social times

eggbat

Six Month Post Op
hi everyone i had my bypass surgury on 19th jan 09 and have done ok so far.feeling a bit better and dropping the weight i had a few complications at first but thats history now,anyway for years i have lived a very hermit like existance and this has carried on since surgury and during my recovery.everything has been ok i havent dumped, been sick or any of that stuff but here comes the problem my wife is from up north and we took the oppertunity to visit her family over easter for a couple of weeks, all went well except for one thing,i simply was not prepared for the fact that every social event or just everything really involves food or drink this compounded by all of the friends and relatives were very used to me haveing a harty appitite shell we say,it got to the point that one of my wifes relatives took her to one side and asked if there was something really wrong with me.now i know the easiest way to deal with this is to come clean and tell all,and i have been to all the weight management meetings and read all the threads and told myself that i could deal with things like this no problem,but i couldent it was very difficult.i thought that the surgury was the solution to my problems,and it has to some degree but it has also brought to the surface other problems that i have to deal with.

Hi eggbat first of all congratulations on your weight loss to date and getting through your initial problems and now putting them behind you.
At weekend whilst at the birmingham meet i was explaining to the lads and lasses how about 6 weeks ago i had my OMG this is it for life moment. I had been out several times that week and like you it had all revolved around food and drink.I am in the mindset at the moment and i hope the resolve sticks around that unless it has a good nutritional value it aint going in.
i was out withsome friends and my sister and my sister and i shared a meza at a greek resturant when i suddenly realised just how little i actually eat now as in the past we would of had a meza each. One of my friends asked how i could possiably survive on so little and i said i dont know but i am.
I am one of the ones who shared with people about what i was having done and i think it has helped immensly with some of the realisations along the was as no one has been scared to comment about the sudden weight loss as like one friend i hadnt seen for a while said that if she hadnt of known she would of thought i was ill.
Peoples positive comments have helped my head catch up with my body and the conversations it has lead to about other peoples insecurities or bad relationships with food had been so refreshing.
A couple of my overweight friends have really taken controle of their eating habits as a result of me having surgery as they knew that if they didnt they would be destined to be big all their lives as they knew GP wasnt the route they wanted to take.
I dont know if this has been of help to you and maybe your wisit up north will be the start to a transformed you in more ways that you realise.
wishing you all the best
take care
carole

Hi Eggbat, glad to see you here. I know what you mean, social situations can be tough especially when you don't want to reveal your surgery. It is good to think ahead, you can always say that you are on a diet. People understand about diets since most everyone has tried to diet at one point another. Also, like HC said you might find it as a relief to tell people. That way you can leave it at that and focus on having a good time instead of thinking about what you were able to eat and will people notice.

So glad you are doing well and hope that you continue to re-introduce yourself to the social world. The head part of this surgery is I think the hardest bit so just take it slow and you wil get there.

Take care,
Nic;)

Back