• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Social Anxiety after wls?

Anon1986

So,

I've always suffered from social anxiety but it's never really been much of an issue. I've just had to force myself into social situations instead of being eager and such.

However over the last year my anxiety seems to be getting worse, I'm not sure if this is related to my weight loss or not. I'd have expected the opposite effect though :confused:
It's getting to a rather annoying part where I don't want to go and buy simple things from the local shops, but I'll gladly drive 11mile to a place I'm less likely to see people I know/who know me.

Gah, I have to find a job instead of working from home. Drop kick myself into social situations then :(

I guess what I'm asking is: Have any of you had an increased level of social anxiety after weight loss?
I think losing weight has made me even more self concious, and that's a impressive for me.

I'm lucky I've never suffered from any kind of anxiety, even when I really should have !

I do think friends and colleagues look at me more than they used to. The ones who know about the surgery, checking out my progress, and the ones that don't just noticing I've lost weight. I've only had positive comments, and to be honest love getting them. I guess that makes me shallow... But it's lovely to get positive comments after years of no comments. Perhaps you should try counselling or cbt?

Good luck and I hope you are feel less anxious soon.

Back