• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Soft foods - ow! and advice pls

Nellyphant

I'm supposed to be moving onto soft food now but last night I tried some beef stew and the meat although a tiny amount put in my mouth and being well chewed the pain was horrendous. I'm on holiday and didn't bring my booklet with me. What other things can I try?

Beef can take a while to master do I'd avoid whilst you're away! What about fish, a little lasagne etc...all softer...be easier whilst you're on hol then focus on trying tougher things once home. Are you in the uk or abroad?

Scrambled eggs, mash with cheese or gravy, weetabix, mashed banana, good luck :) xxx

from me phone :D

potato n gravy, fish in sauce shepherds pie, fish pie might be bit easier for you, smaller bites and chew till its pulp, if it bdoesnt improve seek medical help from your team. xx

We're in Cornwall. Weather was lovely yesterday, peeing down today. Off to the Eden Project in a bit.

Thanks for the tips, I'll stay away from beef for a bit.

At least it's easier in uk....stick to mash etc, plenty of time to try meats once home! They're an art form at the start :) enjoy your hol!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Basically anything soft on the menu Nelly. As the others have advised & suggested. Chicken is quite soft but can be a challenge at first, safer to stick to the sift mashed foods while away & introduce things like that once home so if you feel rough you can deal with things more easily.

Beef is anything but a soft food, some can't manage it for months post op. Minced beef might be ok but even that would need to be mashed to ******* if it's not going to hurt. Jo is right stick to sloppy stuff well mashed up and only add in more solid foods such as beef chicken etc very slowly in very small amounts

Have a great holiday, I love Cornwall it's my fave place in the UK

At the Eden Project. Having to watch DH & DD scoffing cakes (again). Making me feel deprived and grumpy.

At the Eden Project. Having to watch DH & DD scoffing cakes (again). Making me feel deprived and grumpy.

They do say nothing tastes as good as thin feels LOL but I'm with you seeing people shove cakes down their necks still makes me sad

Hi Nelly,

Didn't you have your RNY at Taunton? You can access the booklet here: http://www.tsft.nhs.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=hQu1VAJCXYY=&tabid=1375

Cut a paste below for week three onwards:

Weeks 3 – 4 (14-28 days) – Pureed food.

By this stage you should be starting to add more protein foods such as meat, fish, chicken, beans, lentils and eggs. All food should be pureed and low in fats and sugars. Here are some example meals to choose from:

Breakfast:
2-3 tablespoons porridge or instant oat cereal (blended), or•
1 wheat biscuit type cereal with skimmed milk, or•
Low fat yoghurt or fromage frais, or•
1 scrambled egg blended •

Lunch/snack meal:
Soup blended to a smooth consistency (100 – 150mls), or•
Milky pudding such as rice, sago or semolina, or•
Fruit custard – e.g. stewed apple, mashed banana or tinned • fruit blended with custard, or
Low fat yoghurt or fromage frais, or•
1-2 tablespoons pureed tinned fruit in juice•

Dinner:
5-6 tablespoons (100g) cottage pie, blended, or•
5-6 tablespoons (100g) bolognaise and mashed potato, • blended, or
5-6 tablespoons (100g) fisherman’s pie, blended, or•
5-6 tablespoons (100g) mashed potato with grated cheese, or•
5-6 tablespoons (100g) baked beans with mashed potato, • blended

Lorna bat - I had my op at Nuffield and the post op info is different. I should be moving from puree to soft now.

All of above. I liked hummous, guacamole & laughing cow cheese triangles. Muller 0 % fat Greek style coconut & vanilla yogurt but not the others coz of bits. Pop to a local supermarket & keep a couple in handbag when you go out. I did this in France. When out in restaurants look at starter menu for these type of things.

As already said..beef is a tough meat so needs to be small and you need to chew for britain. try itagain in a couple of weeks as you may not be ready for it now. chicken, ham, tuna are easier on the soft food stage xx

Thanks. Managed to get soup whilst out today and it felt better mentally that we could all enjoy lunch out. Will play it safer until we get home. I can eat cottage cheese, oatibix, pate, soft cheese and pretty much anything blended.

Very odd that the same set of surgeons give different advise to private and NHS patients. Hope you find something you can manage whilst away.

Back