• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sometimes i regret having the band!?

lily.m

I was banded in September 2012 at Kings Collage London with a 12-14 band and was at 9ml. im now at 10.4ml 3 stone down but always getting ill, in constant pain and hardly any restriction but no space to fill band.
Recently I've been more ill and in pain now than before I had the band, no one at my hospital seems to really care to put it bluntly.
just wanted to know if anyone has had this, especially with the same doctors at Kings Collage.
Bit of a moan I know but depressed at everything now. :(

xx

Hi Lily - sorry you're having a rough time . . .

can I just ask, if you have 12-14 do you know what size you actually have? but also, if you are only at 10.4mls, why is there no room to fill the band? I have a 14ml band, and had a fill today which has taken me to 10mls in my band, and they were happy to take me to that point because I still have a space of 4mls to go . . .

And what is the pain you're suffering from? is it when you eat or port pain? Have you seen or are you able to speak to a dietician for help with your band and eating?

Hi well when I had my last fill it was pushing the fluid back out so I was unable to have a fill at my last appt.
My back and shoulders in my most pain witch is from air in the diaphragm? And also I get pain in my port a lot. I've asked my nurse and doctor for help from a dietician but I get nowhere.

Xx

Goodness Lily, I cannot believe that they aren't helping you or that they aren't giving you any guidance with regards to moving forward -that's really poor! Did you go private? Or did you go on the NHS - if the NHS contact PALS at the hospital for help and advice explaining to them that you don't feel you're getting the help/service that you need.

With the gas pain, what have you tried to help ease it? Have you or are you able to see your GP for some help in that area?

I saw my provider yesterday for another fill and am at a similar point to you, now being at 10mls, but we had a long conversation about pain and issues with a band, and he was explaining that sometimes people get to a point where the band isn't working as it should be, or the person isn't working with the band and often this can be from having too many fills too quickly, or getting to a level of restriction that they don't realise is there. He was saying sometimes at this point, the patient will benefit from having a considerable defill, allowing the body to settle with the band and then building it back up. We had gotten onto this subject as I physically cannot eat breakfast (or any food really before 12-1pm) unless its a yoghurt, and he was saying that restriction at different times of the day is common, but also, it could suggest that a defill would benefit so that I could eat in the morning and am then not putting pressure on my band when I can then actually eat (which is when my hunger goes through the roof lol). I can see his logic in terms of going back and starting over - but I would certainly reach out to PALS or someone at your provider to get you the help that you need, because suffering like this, isn't how it should be and longer term isn't good for you!

I was a bit similar to this hun I was having fills the restriction was not how it should have been then I started getting bad chest pains heartburn n reflux turns out my bands slipped, they defo need to xray you to see if this has happened to you it can really affect you in what is done at fills your weight control and pain. if it not a slip then im not sure tbh it could be types of food your eating in which case they should be reviewing you with a dietician

I'm on the NHS, I have a appt tomorrow and if I still get nowhere I will go ahead with PALS.
My gp isn't happy with their lack of help either but as they don't know much about the band advise me to keep at my bariatric doctors, but will help me if I still get nowhere tomorrow, so at least I know they will help in the end.
Last time I was there they spoke about reoperating to physically tighten the band as they also believe it was filled to quickly. No matter how many times I ask I never get a proper response to why I was so highly filled on the day of surgery.
Thanks for the replies.

Xx

I do hope that the appointment goes well, it maybe worth speaking to PALS ahead of the appointment for some advice as to how best to proceed, go in with what YOU want them to do, what support you need, and put down any points so you can raise it. So easy to get sidetracked when put into a position or on the spot.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi

I also had my band at kings college and I've found them to be fantastic xx

how did your appointment go?

Back