• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I NEED HELP AND ADVICE ASAP

candyb

hello to everyone out their
ive just had my gastric band fitted after debating the op for the last 5 years, so many of my friends have had it done and have great success stories...how ever so far all ive had is pain...
my band was fitted on 1st september 2010, i weighed in on the day at 122.7 kilos, on the friday 2 days later after eating nothing, i got weighed at my gps surgery to find id gained 3 kilos??
i know its only early days, but i think i was expecting too much too soon....
ive been in bed with infections since my operation and with extreme pain and discomfort...im now on my 3rd lot of anti biotics...my gp surgery is crap because none of the doctors their know anything about the procedure, my hospital notes still havent been sent to my gp...ive phoned the hospital biatric nurses nearly everyday and still i feel so alone...and stressed which is making me want to eat more and more...
my wounds got so pussy on monday i got yet another emergency gp apt, so my dr as now faxed the hospital which did the surgery too see me...ive since had a telephone call from the consultant and i am going tomorrow too see him, at a different hospital as this was the only way he could see me...i hope i get some answers, as so far all ive been informed is when they went to operate on me i my stomache was very badly inflamed and my liver very badly damaged...why operate if i was ill at the time???

since the op, ive become very low and depressed, and the hunger as started to kick in...i was told to stick to liquids only for the first month but i have found this impossible, i can eat whole tins of soups...packets of quavers or skips...(lower in calories than crisps) and im always hungry...im now eating sloppy mashed potato with pureed veg...others who have had the band dont believe i can eat what im eating without vomiting or being in pain....ive felt nothing other than hunger...the pain and discomfort ive been in since having the band is from my wounds and port....
i know im doing wrong but how do i control it?
who do i go to ...to get the help and support i need?
as anyone else out their had the same problems?
please...im at my wits end, can anyone offer me advice??? support??? im starting to think its best to call it a day and request the band be taken out and remain fat and diabetic for the rest of my life..!!!

Hopefully your surgeon will be able to help you and give you advice tomorrow. Don't forget that with a band you usually don't have any restriction until your first fill and unlike the bypass it does not stop hunger just reduces the amount of solid food you can eat. From what I've read on here slider foods like soup are much easier to get past the band. However, I am hoping to have a bypass, so hopefully a bander will be along to give you advice soon.

Rebirth

OK slow down! First of all you need to get well and properly recovered!
Get everything checked out and healed first, obviously ensure the surgery team are happy everything is healing and in working order. You have only just had the op and your body is still reeling from that.
You are still meant to be on mushy foods anyway so don't even start to worry about what you can and can't eat yet. It is likely nothing is in the band yet so of course things are going to go through easily. Don't compare yourself to others...we are all different and they may have had several fills already.
Concentrate on healing those imflamed areas and forget about weight loss for a minute.
Again I just want to re-iterate about getting healed and making sure everything is OK with how the band and port are placed.
Secondly, once everything is sorted internally,please RELAX!!!!
You have only just had the band in. Your weight is fluctuating due to the severe change because of preop diet then surgery..it's going to normalise later on after recovery.
It is a huge emotional change too, so of course you are desparate to see weight dropping off imediately...this is not how the band works though.
Your main job is to get feeling well, checked to see if everything is funtioning properly and brace yourself for a long journey.
You will need to come to terms with the fact that a band still requires will power initially and yes you do have to almost act like you are on a conventional diet. Watch your intake and exercise. It is only a tool to aid you and as I discovered , it won't do it all for you simply by being in place.
On the flip side, it does help you eat smaller amounts and stick to a healthy eating plan, once you have the right level of restriction you will find it is a lot easier to feel satisfied on smaller portions.
As you can see I have lost over 9 stone and though it won't be as fast as a bypass, it does come off and you should not panic about that sort of thing so early on.
Hope I can convince you to stop panicking and I hope you stick around and allow us to help you x

Reactions: Bev
Thinking of you Candy B.,

Great advice from Neen and it is such early days for you...

It sounds like you are feeling in a desperate panic and I agree with Neen that the band is a 'tool aid' and you have to learn to work with it and the necessary adjustments.

Take a positive view love and slow down your thoughts, it's very early days.

Good luck and please keep in touch.

Love and hugs, Bev xxx

Please try not to panic you will get there. If the "Oh my God" moments get to you then try re-reading the brilliant advice from Neen - it will help. Trust me - I'm a bander???????

Hoping the surgeon puts your mind at rest tomorrow.
Remember Rome wasn't built in a day!!!!! x

Look after yourself and get well first. Once you are fully recovered then you can worry about your band and losing weight. Please be patient and stop beating yourself up even more xxx

:welcome2:
Hi Candy Welcome to Wls you will meet many friends who will advise and help you on here.

I hope you take note of Neens words of wisdom as she tells from experience and is excellent at giving advice.

Honey we are all feeling for you and hope your health problems clear up quickly.
Make sure you tell your surgeon everything you have told us and make him understand that you need his help and support.

Take Care of yourself babe and try not to worry.

Kat x

Neen has some fab advice for you there doll. See your surgeon and forget about the weight loss for now. Let your poorly body recover and forget about the weight issues for now doll.
x

Ok First of all I am glad you are going back to See your Consultant, If you are having problems with anything to do with the surgery you really need to see the Health care professionals at the same hospital as often the Gp's who are not up to date on the procedures etc, My advice would be if in doubt ring the consultant's secretary at the hospital, if you are under Heartlands and still have no Joy ring 0121 424 2074 this is the bariatric dietician team who can either help you or get you the necessary help.

Hope you get some proper help tomorrow

well, I think I’ve finally worked out how to get to my replies, as I’m new to the site I still don’t know how it works...I can read other peoples posts but not my own...it’s taken me hours this morning to get back to this link...I must be either stupid or my brain isn’t functioning
So...went too see Mr Nijjar yesterday who was fantastic, I must admit it was my first time to Solihull hospital and I thought the service their was so good, even one of the nurses their took time to speak with me whilst I was waiting to see my consulatant, which wasnt half the wait I’ve had in the past at Heartlands...even gave me details of support groups that meet up...
well, it looks like all is getting much better for me, I even feel better in myself today, for the first time since my operation 24 days ago I can finally bend down to put my own pants on...this alone for me is progress...the inflammation is slowly going down and my infection is under control now, I will have a little bit of extra scaring from the wound holes that have appeared but I can live with that
Mr Nijjar was very helpful yesterday, he answered every question I had written down, I felt so much more at ease...just knowing I was able to talk with him face to face about the problems I had incurred was a help...he promised me he would get my discharge letter and hospital notes over to my gp so they understand a little bit more about what has been done to me...
he was a very good surgeon, very patient, and very honest with me, it turns out that when I was operated on I already had allot of inflammation in my upper stomach and adhesions on my liver from an infection of septicaemia last year...so this is why my operation was a little bit difficult...he informed me I was very lucky to have the band as he had his work cut out but he finally managed to get it in place...and this is the reason I’m so sore and was in so much pain, because I already had allot of inflammation...he says my weight loss is good, and that once I get onto textured foods then I will start to feel the restrictions of the band...

All I need now is some helpful advice on foods to eat....as I’m getting very bored of soup and slim fasts....
he has told me to start on puree foods, so some helpful daily diet intake menus would be nice from someone.....I’ve been out and purchased a new blender, so all I need now is to know what to puree to eat that’s not full of calories, as I’ve also been informed to watch my calorie intake...no more then 800-1000 a day....I love vegetables...potatoes? Brains fagot’s in gravy...but are these ok to eat on a puree diet??

I want to thank everyone so far for their advice, I’m taking everything in and learning as I go along...from now on I’m just going to take each day as it comes...and get as much help and support as I can as I really want this band to work for me...I’ve waited so long for it, been through so much....I know it’s not going to be easy, that the weight wont just drop off without me working with it...which I’m more than willing to do....I can’t wait to be 100% well so I can start to swim 2/3 week...then maybe after I loose the first 2 stone I can start a gym programme...

Thanks again....

morning Candy, I hope someone comes along soon to answer your questions, I'm a pre bander myself so know less than yourself at this stage.

good to hear your appt went well yesterday

Hi Candy , I'm glad you got some answers. I just wrote you a long reply and my blooming internet went down and I lost the lot grrrr!!!
Anyway firstly, the easiest way to find new posts is to click the link "unread posts" under your name at the top right corner of the page here.
On to the slushy foods, well sloppy porridge / oatso simple is good for a bit of fibre
I used to use the healthy options ready meals and steam meals , just hand blend them to mush and they aren't too bad. Blend up cauliflower cheese, mash....tins of fruit in juice etc.
Also for example big soup..eg the beef and mushroom one only has 200 cals for the entire can....blend up and it's not too bad.
Really just use your common sense and choose things that aren't too fatty or high in salt and sugar, blend them to a mush and take little spoons at a time.
Keep up your fluids and don't drink during meals, also leave at least half an hour after eating as well.

Back