• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sore Legs at night - advice pls

Andrea73

Hi All,

its 4.15am and for the 3rd night in a row I am having very little sleep due to pain in my legs. The pain is mostly from my hips to my knees and no matter what position I am in I just can't sleep. I have tried cushions between my knees but I just seem to nod off and I am woken up again. I thought at first that it was because I didn't have as much fat on me and my bones were digging into each other LOL. As its now the 3rd night this is really getting me down and I need sleep.

Has anyone else suffered from this or has any advice on what this could be. I take a 7seas multi vit every day so don't think its lack of vits and I drink plenty of water.

Thanks, I'll be waiting cos doesn't look like I'll be going back to bed. :confused::8855:

It's really weird because I get this too and I've read similar symptons before on here. My hips literally go numb at night and the pain in my knees and calfs does keep me awake. I have to take pain killers to help me sleep. I've been getting really agonising cramp in my legs too, its like my knees lock.

I wish I knew what was causing it, it must be something to do with the weight loss and bones, maybe its our spines getting used to carrying less weight - who knows ?

Could be to lack of salts, I've been low carbing & alot of people complain of sore & cramping legs, the way to get around it is to have a bouillon or salty drink. If yr drinking alot of water some essential salts get flushed away....

Or it could just be that yr skinny minny's now! :D

I had an accident 18 months ago and a month after started with pain just like this in the night. It was so painful some nights. I thought it was due to the accident and would clear up.

Eventually 2 months ago I started physio and it turns out it's a problem with some lower vertebrae. At first the physio aggravated it and I wondered why the hell I should go. Then it slowly started getting better. Now I have pain free nights more often than not and the nights I have pain it's not too bad.

You never know :D

I was getting this quite alot last winter, i was referring to it as 'bone ache' as it felt that it was the bone that was aching and really cold, nothing muscular, i used to have to have a bath to stop the pain and get some heat into me! Not sure if this is the same as you are experiencing or not but i havent had it for quite awhile now, just hope it doesnt return with the cold weather!!!!

If you are getting cramps then quinine is good, have a large glass of tonic water before bed.

I have this and have had it for 3 years now. I've had MIR scan and needles in my muscles and still they can't find what is up with me.
Mine started when 5 mths pregnant and in Barbados. I paid for a scan to check baba was ok and thought i might had had another DVT so paid for that scan to, nothing.
I've noticed it hurts more at night and any type of cold, my legs go still and i have to keep moving them. The spasms are so painful and this is what terrifies me. My legs are also restless and i get a stabbing shooting pain in my legs and what feels like electric shocks. Dr says its because of my weight, i think its nerve damage. I now get numbness in my arms in a morning and a tingling. Its horrible and i feel for you, i thought i was the only person who had this at some points. Try and keep your feet warm i find helps, and keep your fluid levels up, quinine did help a little but not that much i found. Good luck if you find out what it is please let me know, thanks big hugs xxx

Thanks for all the replies.

I've just made an appointment at the chiropractic but its not until 25 Sept. I think I'll try the tonic water tonight as I've got nothing to lose but I really need to get some sleep. I think since Thursday night I've only had about 6 hours sleep!! I think I'll also make a GP appt as well just to get it checked out.

Thanks again.

Perhaps you should put some gin with that tonic Andrea!!!

I've been in a lot more pain with my back and legs and hips ever since my surgery. I'm taking more painkillers now than I ever have done before. My surgeon thinks it's to to with the surgery and subsequent weight loss causing immunological changes in the fluid around my joints.

Unfortunately I just dose myself up on the co-codamol.

I have a hip that aches but only the one! It never bothered me pre op, however as the end of my sleeps gets closer i find this hip aches and i have to turn over onto my other side...

I just wondered if it's because i've lost a little padding! Although facing reality my body has been carrying 140lb of excess weight around for the last 20 years and it has to have an effect x

I have aching from the hips to the knees each night. I put it down to my mattress needing a change, but i've been away recently and it was happening there aswell. Its excruciating pain and wakes me up at least half a dozen times in a night. Perhaps it need checking after so many of you have posted with the same problem.

I think you could be right. I thought with being 6 stone lighter my bones wouldn't be so sore. Definitely gonna get it checked though. I wonder if I should up my calcium levels???

Back