• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mystery pain at night!

Camilla0990

Hi there wasn't sure where to post this as I'm very new to this forum.
Anyway just wanted to know if anyone else is (or has had) the same experience as me?

I had a gastric bypass on the 30th of May 2012, at st Richards hospital in Chichester and since then it been great, had absolutely no problems with dumping( so far- fingers crossed!) or had a particular bad experience with any foods.

I was given the standard amount of acid tablets (lansoprazole) after the surgery and took them until the course ran out.
A couple of days later, I was watching tv and my stomach started to hurt a little bit, and that slowly increased for 15 minutes until it was really quite painful, it then moved up to my chest and became an even more intense pain.
I was so scared and had a panic attack, which clearly didn't help the situation at all. At the time I thought I was having a heart attack and cannot stress about how much pain I was in, in the end I went up to a&e even after the pain started to subdue because I was worried.
The doctor at a&e said it was probably an acid bubble that pushed up into my chest and suggested I talk to my gp about having more acid tabs. I spoke to a nurse from Chichester on the phone and she agreed I should try a longer course of acid tabs. This seemed to work and I didn't have the pain again for a while

While still taking the acid tabs, The night of the Olympic closing ceremony I had this pain again, but unlike last time where the pain had lasted 20/30 mins this time it lasted 2 and a half hours.

The nurse at Chichester suggested I take to acid tabs up until late nov, and I have been religiously taking my pill in the morning 50/60 mins before food

And then this week for the past four nights the pain has returned with a vengeance, the pain ALWAYS starts at night at about 11pm or later, and the timing of when I last ate hasn't had any effect on this

The pain starts In the upper part of my stomach and then on the right side of my chest simultaneously, it hurts to take deep breaths so I have to breath very shallowly. I feel very hot and sweaty and No matter how I position myself the pain doesn't go away, so I usually sit on the edge of the bed rocking backwards and forwards( full crazy woman mode) to take my mind of it unsuccessfully. I don't know what to do, I've rang the hospital and they are sending me an appointment for them to put a camera into my stomach via my throat (ahhhhh!)
But I just thought I'd see if anyone else had had this pain?
Or knew someone who has?
Because I really don't think it had anything to do with acid.

Sorry for the length of this post and if its places in the wrong area!!

Back