• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Soup Recipes

claire36uk

After going to the car boot this morning, i picked up a recipe book for 500 soup recipes for a quid ( bargain ) so i thought i would share a couple with you. I am going to start typing the book up, dont know how long it is going to take lol but if anyone would like a copy then i will gladly email it :D I havent tried any of these as of yet, but thought anyone thats on liquid diet might like to give them a go :D

Garlic Soup
Serves 8

12 Large Garlic Cloves, Crushed
15ml/ 1tbsp Olive Oil
15ml/1tbsp Melted butter
1 Small Onion, finely chopped
15g/11/2oz/2tbsp Plain ( all-purpose) flour
15ml/1tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1 Litre/13/4 pints/4cups Vegetable Stock
2 Egg Yolks
Croutons, to serve

Heat the oiland butter into a pan, add the garlic and onion, and cook them gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the flour and make a smooth paste, cook for a few minutes,stirring, without letting the mixture brown. Then stir in the wine vinegar, stock and 1 litre/13/4 pints/4 cups water.Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer gently for 30 minutes.

Just before serving, lightly whisk the egg yolks in a bowl. Remove the pan from the heat and add a ladleful of soup to the yolks, Stir with the whisk until the yolks are well mixed with the soup, then pour the mixture into the pan.

Heat the soup over low heat, stirring, for a few seconds but do not allow it to simmer or boil or the yolks will curdle. Put the croutons into soup bowls and pour the hot soup over them, serve immediately.

Cooks Tips
Once the yolks are added the soup is difficult to reheat from cold. If the whole batch is not going to be served, pour half into a pan and add just 1 egg yolk,finish the rest when required.

Energy 55kcal/229kj: Protein 1.3g Carbohydrate 3g of which sugars 0.5g: Fat 4.4g of which saturates 1.6g Cholesterol 54mg: Calcium 12mg: Fibre 0.3g: Sodium 50mg

Garlic and Coriander Soup
Serves 6
25g/1oz Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) leaves and stalks chopped seperately
1.5 litres/21/2 pints/61/4 cups Vegetable Stock, or water
5-6 Plump Garlic Cloves, peeled
5ml/1tsp Vinegar
6 Eggs
275g/10oz day-old bread, most of the crust removed, torn into bitesize pieces.
Salt and Ground Pepper
90ml/6 tbsp extra virgin oil, plus extra to serve.

Place the coriander stalks in a pan. Add the stock or water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Process the soup in a food processor or blender and then press it through a sieve ( strainer ) back into the rinsed-out pan.

Crush the garlic with 5ml/1 tsp salt in a mortar or small bowl, Stir in 120ml/4fl oz/1/2 cup of the hot soup and then pour the mixture back into the pan.

Meanwhile, poach the eggs, heat a large frying pan or water, adding the vinegar, until boiling.Crack an egg into a cup or saucer. reduce the heat so that the water simmers, swirlthe water and drop the egg into the middle of the swirl. Poach for 3-4 minutes, until just set. Add the remaining eggs in the same way ( cook them in 2 batches if the pan is too small to hold all 6 at once ) using a draining spoon to remove the eggs from the pan and transfer them to a warmed plate, trim off any untidy bits of white with a sharp knife or scissors.

Bring the soup back to the boil and add seasoning, stir in the chopped corainder leaves and remove from the heat.

Place the bread in 6 soup plates or bowls and drizzle the oil over it. Ladle the soup and stir. Add a poached egg to each portion and serve immediately, offering olice oil at the table so that it can be drizzled over the soup to taste.

Energy 290Kcal/175Kj: Protein 13g, Carbohydrate 61.6g of which sugars 12.6g Fat 14.1g of which saturates 6.7g Cholesterol 25mg: Calcium 240mg: Fibre 4.1g: Sodium 1022mg

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
Your very welcome gaynor, it keeps me out of trouble ;) and away from food lol X

There's a thread in the stickies for soups, post them there so they can be in one place. :D