• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Spare bits....?

JanetB

This may be a really silly question, but can anyone tell me -what happens to the portion of your stomach and the intestines you no longer need/use after a gastric bypass? Do they take them out? I'm not sure I want some redundant parts floating around inside me! lol

Oh good question , I wondered this the other day, I had a band so I dont know the answer but hopefully someone will be along soon with the answer

No they are all still there.

I asked the same thread just after my op and apparantly they just stay put, Just like bricking an old room up never to be used again. L.O.L :D

This may be a really silly question, but can anyone tell me -what happens to the portion of your stomach and the intestines you no longer need/use after a gastric bypass? Do they take them out? I'm not sure I want some redundant parts floating around inside me! lol

My understanding is (and I may be talking out of my ar*e), that when you have a bypass there is a bit of small intestine (about 1 metre) which is discarded - this is what helps with the malabsorbtion. When one has the sleeve operation the major part of the stomach is stapled and sealed. Because this is no longer attached to anything it is discarded.

Hiya Glenville no you are absorlutly right on both of those issues. Gail :p:p
My understanding is (and I may be talking out of my ar*e), that when you have a bypass there is a bit of small intestine (about 1 metre) which is discarded - this is what helps with the malabsorbtion. When one has the sleeve operation the major part of the stomach is stapled and sealed. Because this is no longer attached to anything it is discarded.

The bottom part of yr stomach with the metre of small intestine are left in tact and the metre of small intestines is attatched to yr remaining intestines to allow drainage of stomach juices from yr redundant stomach. I say redundant but you will find it still has a good old chin wag to its little counterpart on a daily basis and at time its little counterpart will tease the life out of it saying look what ive got!!! foooooood.

The bottom part of yr stomach with the metre of small intestine are left in tact and the metre of small intestines is attatched to yr remaining intestines to allow drainage of stomach juices from yr redundant stomach. I say redundant but you will find it still has a good old chin wag to its little counterpart on a daily basis and at time its little counterpart will tease the life out of it saying look what ive got!!! foooooood.

PMSL - i like the teasing bit ;) i'm seeign my consultant this week and migth suggest that my old stomach is teasing my new stomach and see what he says lol ;)

Seriously though HC is spot on here, the old bits stay in and function as they always did, its far more complicated to remove them that leave them in.

ah ok.....thanks for all your answers! I'd seen diagrams where they appeared to still be attached but couldn't figure out why. Maybe I shouldn't think about it too much! lol

The bottom part of yr stomach with the metre of small intestine are left in tact and the metre of small intestines is attatched to yr remaining intestines to allow drainage of stomach juices from yr redundant stomach.

Hmmm... I bow to your better knowledge, but I was convinced that the "Y" was only a few cms from the bottom of the old stomach in the films i have seen of the op. Oh well, who cares as long as it does the job. Is this perhaps the difference between proximal and distal?

Everything stays in - as it is technically reversible, might be tricky if they have thrown bits away...:D

Just (!) a question of replumbing. Sleeve gastrectomy does involve the chopping up and disposal of 80% of the stomach (apparantly they put it in a little bag, mince it up so they can pull it out of the keyhole incision). And for the DS type op, bits of the intestine is removed, but not the RNY bypass.

Back