• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

spatz gastric balloon

rak

Hi all, I'm new to the fourm and I was wondering if anyone has had the spatz gastric balloon. I 'd be really interested to learn of your experience. I'm fed up with the dieting as i've tried them all with never any great success and when I stop the weight is regained with interest. My increasing weight is affecting my confidence so I'm considering trying the spatz gastric balloon surgery. :break_diet:

Hi and welcome.

I think there is a forum for gastric balloons on here. Other weight loss surgery or something similar. Take a look. You may find people in there :)

Hi Rak
Welcome to the forum
I had the spatz balloon on 18th july this year and am so glad I did something about my weight. Myself and some others have written about our experiences with the balloon, search spatz balloon and i'm sure you'll find them.
I wont lie to you, the first 8 days were horrible with my vomiting ++ but i turned the corner quickly and not looked back since. Infact I can only just remember how horrible it was, not everyone is sick so dont let me put you off.
The balloon is only a tool and you still have to have the mind set to change your eating habbits.
Have lost 38lbs so far, although my weight loss has slowed right down to around 1-1.5lbs per week.although i am still on target for losing 5 stone in the year ( fingers crossed )
it has even given me the confidence to venture back into swimwear ( never thought that would happen) and I go to my local pool about 4 times a week to increase my exercise and tone my flabby bits :happy036:
Let me know if you have specific questions you need answering and i'll do my best
good luck with whatever you choose to do

Hi Nicola1,
Wow and well done on your weight loss journey so far! I've an appiontment to meet with the consultant this friday so i'm feeling anxious and excited. I'm worried about the side affects and how long it will take me to recover. When were you able to return to work? I've yet to tell my husband because he isn't supportive of this. I'd love to have the confidence to don a swim suit again and join the children swimming. Thank you for sharing your experience its really helpful. I'll keep you posted.

Hi Rak

As i said I was one of the unlucky ones and vomited for 8 days solid, but not all are so unlucky, i have some who weren't sick at all and some who had the procedure on a friday and was back in work on the monday. I had already booked 2 weeks annual leave so there was no rush to go back, but boy did i need those 2 weeks. the first couple of days back in work i was really washed out and found it hard to eat little and often but i was able to overcome this quickly.
I'm not saying it's an easy option and you still have to work at what you eat and change your lifestyle but i found it to be worth it.
good luck and keep us update x

I went for the consultation with HW and Dr. Ashton said that my BMI (37) is too big to do the balloon and I will have to have the band. He said that most people gain the weight back after the balloon is out.

Having the band on the 26th Nov.

Hi, thanks for the info, you've mentioned about regaining weight after the balloon is removed is this with the 6 mth or 12 mth balloon? My bmi is currnetly 35 do you think the same will apply? my consultation is this friday and i'm really quiet scared!

Too big to do the balloon at a BMI of 37? I thought some people have it to lose weight to be able to have another weight loss procedure. Like with a BMI of 60+. I am confuzzled now lol

Your right fuffs, they do have it with very large bmi's. I've heard several people say he has refused them a gastric balloon and advised a band instead, even though there's a posting of him online saying how wonderful the balloon is! For one reason or other he seems to have gone off the balloon.
Someone on this site went to him, stating all the positive facts etc and he said where did you here that from and she said ( if I remember rightly) your site!!! He advised the band then too
Mind you I am slightly biased as I have the balloon in now for nearly 4mnths and have lost 3 stone
I'm a little concerned that he advertises the balloon then recommends the band, if he doesn't agree with the balloon maybe he should pull his advertising or is it a way of pulling people in, lower cost, less invasive procedure, then turns them on their heads but recommending the band ( cost more, funded or private) just my personal thought
Good luck to all on their journey x

Nicola1 said:
Your right fuffs, they do have it with very large bmi's. I've heard several people say he has refused them a gastric balloon and advised a band instead, even though there's a posting of him online saying how wonderful the balloon is! For one reason or other he seems to have gone off the balloon.
Someone on this site went to him, stating all the positive facts etc and he said where did you here that from and she said ( if I remember rightly) your site!!! He advised the band then too
Mind you I am slightly biased as I have the balloon in now for nearly 4mnths and have lost 3 stone
I'm a little concerned that he advertises the balloon then recommends the band, if he doesn't agree with the balloon maybe he should pull his advertising or is it a way of pulling people in, lower cost, less invasive procedure, then turns them on their heads but recommending the band ( cost more, funded or private) just my personal thought
Good luck to all on their journey x

Seems like something fishy is going on. Needs looking in to. He seems to be pushing people to have a more expensive op. Bad times :(

Hi Rak
Welcome to the forum
I had the spatz balloon on 18th july this year and am so glad I did something about my weight. Myself and some others have written about our experiences with the balloon, search spatz balloon and i'm sure you'll find them.
I wont lie to you, the first 8 days were horrible with my vomiting ++ but i turned the corner quickly and not looked back since. Infact I can only just remember how horrible it was, not everyone is sick so dont let me put you off.
The balloon is only a tool and you still have to have the mind set to change your eating habbits.
Have lost 38lbs so far, although my weight loss has slowed right down to around 1-1.5lbs per week.although i am still on target for losing 5 stone in the year ( fingers crossed )
it has even given me the confidence to venture back into swimwear ( never thought that would happen) and I go to my local pool about 4 times a week to increase my exercise and tone my flabby bits :happy036:
Let me know if you have specific questions you need answering and i'll do my best
good luck with whatever you choose to do
Hey Nicole
I have been struggling to find info and experience of the spatz so was excited to see your story! I am going in at end of oct, in sydney, for the spatz, they have said will only fill to 450ml as I get a lot of heartburn already and was very sick when pregnant! how big was yours to lose all that weight. Great success! I want to lose about 2 to 3 stone and keep it off so I hope thats realistic. We spend most of our life outside on the beach and I so don't have a bikini body! I weigh more than when I was 9 months pregnant now very depressing! Any tips post surgery re diet etc gratefully received! thanks so much suzy

Back