• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting out

mumsie74

Good Morning,

Im hoping someone out there may be able to give me some advice. Im worried I have ruined my chances now of weight loss surgery.

I am on a weight management programme which is for 9 months or so i was told...after seeing the dietician this morning i have now put on another 2 pound this month and also 2 last month, she said it doesnt look good on paper for going on to get surgery....im really downhearted with it all as i have really changed with regards to physical activitiy. She said my 9 months is up next month and then its a 3 month plan of slimfast or similar!!!

My doctor is very supportive and keen to push things along to the next stage for me...can he do that without the dieticians approval? Im hoping i havent ruined my one and only chance and cant turn things around and try to and shift some before weigh in next month. I feel nobody out there gets how hard it is when you have so much weight to shift it seems hopeless....

Any tips or advice would be great...even if i loss weight over the next couple of months she said its very possible they would still turn me down....gutted!:cry:

That doesn't seem fair at all,on saying that the impression I get now Is they are becoming very strict on funding for weightloss surgery.
I mean if i got weighed around 'the time of the month' I've always gained.
I had to do weight management and was unable to lose weight on my own,that's why I was put forward for surgery.
I'm a bit lost on what advice I could offer,except
See if you can speak to another dietician?

Thanks, im seeing my doc on sat, i thought surgery was for people who have tried everything and cant shift weight! I hope he will just bypass the dietician and refer me.

It seems very unfair to me. I must admit reading other people's difficult and stressful journeys to WLS I feel lucky that I live in Leeds. My route to my gastric bypass has been relatively straightforward.
Could you keep a food & exercise diary to show what you've done?

Good luck x

Yes i plan to do that for this month. It seems so unfair, oh well i guess this is my bed i have made myself, she did say only a few a year get surgery where i live and those spots are given to those who show commitment and have a loss each month....slimfast...yucky!

I know exactly how you feel. I've just had to do another 6 months to prove that I am a good girl and deserve to have lots of hard earned money spent on me !! The thing was, my weight readings taken by the Weight Management had hardly changed but thankfully I had been doing weight watchers for 12 weeks and had lost 11 lb. I don't know if they think it is good enough but it was a good effort for me.

My case was put forward again to the panel but now I've been told I've got to wait another 2 months before they give me a decision. Talk about prolonging the agony. x

Oh goodness me, I was lucky thta i didnt have to endure that bit i had tried for years at ww and other groups, orlistat, and then slimming tablets which sent my bp up really high. So doc referred me but took almost 2 years to get to my op date. What kind of food have you been eating then and what exercise have you been doing? Without knowing that, well i would say 5 fruit n veg a day, cut down and out fat as much as poss, low with the carbs, plenty water and lots of lean meat, fish etc. Keep up exercise, wether its dancing in the house, walking, cycling what ever you prefer. Hope thats not patronising, i am just trying to help. xx good luck xx

Thanks everyone, im goin to be strict and good for next months weigh in, do you think its too late to fix things? Im gonna cut back on bread, which i luv.....and keep walking...

No i think you might still make it if you knuckle down this month, keep up the water really does help xx good luck xx

Try a liquid diet, smoothies, drinks, yogurts, jelly. I know it doesnt sound nice but it really does shift weight!xx

oh bless, i always eat better if i keep a food diary, its just so hard. i know you can do it just believe in yourself you have it in you xxx

I know he feeling! I'm trying to lose weight for my next weigh in :( but food is so tempting!

Good luck x

Back