• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

whoops....such a noob!

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
hey all..i posted asking about the spatz balloon...looks like i dont know where i posted it..although it has gone for approval....any idea how i can find it??!

arrgh...anyways tis moi! im 30, 5foot 6 (almost) and 100kg of pure fat!

tried EVERYTHING from clubs, xenical, personal trainers and even hypnosis....im just not shifting the weight and its depressing!!

so i have my consultation next week and then the procedure is on april 12th!

anyways my friend recommended me to use this site. she said it was amazing and she made good friends here...hoping to do the same!:wave_cry:

Hey there - and a big welcome ! You'll find plenty of support here... and laughs too !

hey ladies! thanks for replying :)

RoseA and Mazza ur weight losses are phenomenal! majorly jealous!

Mazza i was intrested in the sleeve, but my friend who uses this site said to do the lap band...as thats what she had done....so i was looking into that but my mum wasnt keen...sounds silly right..im 30! but i have 3 kids and she has read so many horror stories...trying to convice her was not worth it...plus this looks a bit 'less permanent.'

The Spatz balloon is different to the orbera balloon in that its adjustable and stays in for 12 months...so average weight loss is 5 stones...which would have me under 11 stones...insane to think that possible. Obrera balloon is 4k and spatz is 5k

So basically i want this over sleeve and gastric band as its less invasive and not so permanent i guess? i have a consultation next week. the lady at healthier weight (the company i am using) was really pushing the gastric band but i think i want to go down this road.

Thank you :D

What happens when the balloon comes out though? are you concerned about a regain :eek:

I think you need to look at your eating habits to judge which op is right for you and read some posts here from banders/bypassers and sleevers, rather than have what your friend has had or go for the temporary balloon, not many people have long term success with the balloon and as a result , there aren't really any ballooners on here to ask for definate.
It was my understanding that a balloon was a pre-done thing before a band or bypass to help lower weight temporarily before the main wls surgery.
The people I know who had balloons on here unfortunately put weight back on and are now bypassers or banders.
It's a lot of money to spend so I would advise thoroughly reading about other options on here and asking those who have had successful wls to tell you what it's actually like for the other options, before you take the plunge.

Yes - I am one of those people who paid out £5k of my own money to get a balloon. I lost 12 stone in a year and it was amazing - but old habits came back and I put 12 stone back on over 18 months.

Thank you :D

What happens when the balloon comes out though? are you concerned about a regain :eek:

I think you need to look at your eating habits to judge which op is right for you and read some posts here from banders/bypassers and sleevers, rather than have what your friend has had or go for the temporary balloon, not many people have long term success with the balloon and as a result , there aren't really any ballooners on here to ask for definate.
It was my understanding that a balloon was a pre-done thing before a band or bypass to help lower weight temporarily before the main wls surgery.
The people I know who had balloons on here unfortunately put weight back on and are now bypassers or banders.
It's a lot of money to spend so I would advise thoroughly reading about other options on here and asking those who have had successful wls to tell you what it's actually like for the other options, before you take the plunge.

o really?????? am reading ppls balloon stories on the net...but am really struggling to find what happens post removal....and now i am a bit worried...

hmmmm

thats a bit worrying....really everyone regains all of it?

you are right...there are no post balloon ppl.....o i am confused now... thought u would maintain by having post procedure care and generally once u get down ud feel awful for going back up?? will have to defo mention this concern to my doc next week....thanks guys.... defo best to have all questions and concerns answered now.

Yes - I am one of those people who paid out £5k of my own money to get a balloon. I lost 12 stone in a year and it was amazing - but old habits came back and I put 12 stone back on over 18 months.

O WOW! how was it post balloon. did u feel mega hungry, or was it a case of slowly but surely the weight crept on?

Well if I am really honest - after about six weeks with the balloon I really felt I had no restriction at all. I had a friend who had the balloon at the same time as me and she lost 2 stone and put it back on again very quickly.

The balloon didn't stop me feeling hungry - it works by restriction rather than affecting your hunger. It just means you should feel fuller more quickly and not be able to eat as much.

However, I felt my stomach adjusted to it very quickly. I just dieting very well - partly because I had spent £5k and I had to get something out of it.

I started putting weight back on about 6 months after the balloon came out. I had some personal issues and I went straight back to my old coping mechanism of food.

The balloon will only help if you can use it to change your eating habits forever - but that's a really big ask for someone who has relied on food for comfort for most of their life.

I have to be honest and say I would not recommend it as the final solution. I think it can be ok to get some weight off before having more permanent surgery.

I think Weeble has given you the benefit of some fantastic first hand advice there, and from what you said regarding everything you have tried before not working, I think for your circumstances, the balloon is too big a gamble.

With a sleeve or bypass you have a swift period of weight loss in the first year and have to watch very carefully that you don't eat sugary fatty foods as that can make you poorly, with the band, you have to use will power but have the option to go back for adjustments as long as the band is in there.
Sleeve , bypass and band all even out after a few years successwise.
All of them need you to change your eating habits and exercise to get the most out of them.

thanks guys.....

im genuinely grateful for u guys taking the time to respond....one of my fears with sleeve/band is that there isnt any majorly long-term studies into how a sleeve will effect u 20yrs down the line.... at least with balloon or band u feel u can take it out , but with the band my friend has had her port thingy make a hole or something...so needs surgery again in belgium...to be fair who has the band and takes it out..noone really...so its pretty permanent....i guess the balloon doesnt seem as permanent

u guys have defo given me something to think about and like i said im super thankful...gonna get some sleep now and think about all these things u guys have said....nice to get genuine info....night night

In addition to what others have said....I know someone who went for the balloon (on NHS) and couldn't tolerate it being inserted at all. It had to be abandoned.

I think its an awful lot of money to pay when its relying more on will-power after the first few weeks.
Even with something permanent like a bypass (I had a bypass in August last year) you STILL have to work with it and accept it is a tool which will only help you if you find the right mind-set (in other words it can be cheated)
But a balloon in my understanding is strictly a temporary aid prior to a more permanent solution.
Grace xxx

Just to add - I would far rather have another band fitted than go through the insertion and removal of the balloon again. It doesn't take long - but for someone like me with a very strong gag reflex - it was nightmarish.

Hi, its great that you have got to the stage where you know you need to do something. It's very interesting that you refer to procedures that could be removed or reversed. My consultant was great, when he initially advised a bypass rather than band, I thought exactly the same as you until I discussed with him and he asked me "why would you only want your weight loss to be temporary ?" I suppose in my mind I was looking for the option to go back to how I was before if I didn't like it, however in reality I had not been able to change my eating habits for the last 15 years, what's gonna change that now ?, hence I opted for the permanent solution. 3 months down the line and I can't believe that this op has made me think and act differently. I now feel more in control of my life and could not be happier ! Good luck with your journey , Matt x

Matt that's a great way of expressing it... Lots of us were frightened of the irreversible nature of a bypass but like you say, do we really want permanent change or not ? I certainly don't regret my bypass one bit.

Hi Magic . . .
I think Big Matt (soon to be ‘racing snake Matt’) has hit the nail on the head so to speak . . . We would all love a magic wand and, as I have posted on here before, my greatest fear is the massive life changes ahead – the permanent nature of the bypass takes away the final crutch, it’s difficult to articulate but I can see why a removable or reversible option does appeal but with WLS surgery (in my opinion) it really has to be all or nothing if you want to succeed. I feel for Weeble, it must have been awful to have gone through so much for the weight to pile back on – I managed through diet to get to my fighting weight a few years ago but somehow, which remains a mystery to this day, the weight managed to sneak back on and more besides. I guess there is a trap where we eat if we are content and we eat to compensate ! I too want a magic want but realise that the WLS bypass tool and my total long term commitment is the only way forward . . . I would be interested to hear more from Matt (male perspective) on how his life has changed to date . . .
Magic, whatever you decide, I wish you all the very best x

Thanks guys..u guys are so helpful and kind...no wonder my friend raved about this site!

IKWYM about ppl ballooning (no pun inteneded!) but then someone here said that after a year of whatever u do u have to stop relying on the band/bypass and make aneffort urself to keep losing the weight....so surely if i rely on the balloon (which like the lap band is adjustable) then after the year i can make the effort like everyone else but not have something in me.

I'm not at all knocking anyone who does go for a permanent solution..they are far braver then me....and i am hopeful i will keep it off (do not quote this if i am back in 2 yrs looking for surgeons do do my sleeve!!)

genuinely appreciate all the replies...u guys are fab and ur eight loss tickers etc are such an inspiration!

Back