• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting over

Alia

I've opened this thread as since my change in mindset I don't want to keep updating on a thread called failure!

I'm on day 2 now of the 5 day pouch test and feeling very proud of myself. Yesterday was good, I did feel hungry though I won't deny it but I kept drinking my water and managed to get through it which has made today seem so much easier. I'm not sure if I'm getting it quite right what I should be eating but for me its been an achievement that nothing 'nasty' passed my lips nor nothing solid.

Just been and stocked up on cottage cheese, fat free natural yoghurt and tuna fish ready for tomorrow day 3 when I get to eat solid protein.

I've been preparing myself for when I'm off of this 5 day test and back to regular food and with help from Nichole I'm going to go back to basics and start over as if I've just had my bypass done. My problem is I'm a bit 'thick' when it comes to food and recipes and not very adventurous so I need quick and simple things to eat other wise I might go off track cause after cooking meals for hubby and the 6 kids I can't face cooking something else for me so its either simple or I go with out basically. Any ideas on very simple post op foods will be greatly appreciated!!

Hope you are all having a good day and feeling as positive as I am.

BTW on my other thread Shell you said that cup a soups are n't that good - I should have said they are slim a soups, the meditteranian tomato one, is that just as bad and if so why are they bad?

Alia xxx

Glad its going well Alia, you sound very postitive so long may it continue! x

think the soup thing is cause they are full of dehydrated stuff and generally have no protein in them. Try the soups that are made with real ingredients that you can buy at supermarkets. You could do worse than consult a nutritionist via your hospital and ask them to give you a healthy eating plan. Now your head is back in the right place, it could really help. Im rubbish with cooking too so I do know how you feel.

Congratulations on getting your mojo back - thats the hardest battle!

Hi Alia
Well done on getting through your 1st two days so good to hear you upbeat and positive. I'm still on liquid post op stage and i have been using cup a soups slim variety and they are the only ones that seem to taste as they should. You are def back on track so sending you a big hug filled with positive thoughts x

Hi Alia

I'm so glad to read this very positive and determined thread. You've still got your weight loss tool and you are right to go back to basics just to re-connect with it. Well done for making it through 2 days of the pouch test. Your determinaion will carry you through.

There is a recipe sticky that has great ideas. Just know that you can't go wrong if you reach for a dense protein first each time you eat, followed by a complex carb and then you will have little room for much else. Oh and water, water and more water.

Take care and best wishes for this part of your journey. There is plenty of support here.
xxx

Alia, congratulations to you. You sound so upbeat and positive, absolutely amazing. You will be a new source of inspiration to me now. Yes i follow the other post op's who are doing so well and i congratulate them. You have done so fantastically in going back to basics and going through the learning process all over, your hubby and kids are lucky to have someone like you who didn't just quit, keep up the good work xxx

Well done, That's great 1 day at a time love & the weight will soon be dropping off ;)

Hi Alia

I'm so glad to read this very positive and determined thread. You've still got your weight loss tool and you are right to go back to basics just to re-connect with it. Well done for making it through 2 days of the pouch test. Your determinaion will carry you through.

There is a recipe sticky that has great ideas. Just know that you can't go wrong if you reach for a dense protein first each time you eat, followed by a complex carb and then you will have little room for much else. Oh and water, water and more water.

Take care and best wishes for this part of your journey. There is plenty of support here.
xxx

can you give me examples of a dense protein and a complex carb - do you mean eat the protein you have on your plate before you eat the carb - I know duuuuh questions but when I say I'm rubbush at all that stuff I was n't joking lol

Alia, congratulations to you. You sound so upbeat and positive, absolutely amazing. You will be a new source of inspiration to me now. Yes i follow the other post op's who are doing so well and i congratulate them. You have done so fantastically in going back to basics and going through the learning process all over, your hubby and kids are lucky to have someone like you who didn't just quit, keep up the good work xxx

Phatmomma that is really a lovely thing to say and I'm really quite touched. I think that one of the problems (at least my problem) is that we don't actually appreciate our self worth and it takes someone else to remind us. I am a good person, I am raising 6 kids, taking care of a 6 bed house and looking after my husband and trying to sort myself out too and thats no easy thing to do with all my health issues and mobility problems. I just have to grin and bear it and carry on regardless - thank you for reminding me :)

thank you for all the kind words and encouragement.

I'm still doing ok, feeling really hungry and I have a splitting headache but I think thats cause I'm not feeding myself all the rubbish that my body is used to - totally shattered too. Hubby has gone to London tonight so I've got a night alone (well alone as you can be with 6 kids lol) so I'm going to take advantage of it and have an early night. The sooner I sleep the sooner morning is here and I can have a boiled egg loool I'm drooling at the thought haha

Hi Alia, so glad you are feeling more positive. x

Alia what sort of things do you cook for your hubby and children - could you not just slightly tweek this so that it is suitable for you? If the girls have pizza I (and this idea is thanks to hopeless case-you're a star) 2 slices of grilled bacon , mushrooms sliced and dry fried, 3 slices of pepperoni, baby plum toms, grilled and skin removed, slice bacon, pepperoni and toms put them all together on aa plate cover in some grated cheese and grill till cheese bubbles and goes golden brown. If I do a chilli or spaghetti bolognese I have the sause and no rice or pasta and have either a jacket potato or broccoli and cauli. If you let me know what you normally cook and I'll see if I can come up with a bypass alternative xxxx

You go girl. Its brilliant to hear you being so positive and going right back to basics is a super idea.

Keep it going, get those stickys up everywhere and try to find things that will keep your mind off food..

(((((Virtual Hug))))

Alia what sort of things do you cook for your hubby and children - could you not just slightly tweek this so that it is suitable for you? If the girls have pizza I (and this idea is thanks to hopeless case-you're a star) 2 slices of grilled bacon , mushrooms sliced and dry fried, 3 slices of pepperoni, baby plum toms, grilled and skin removed, slice bacon, pepperoni and toms put them all together on aa plate cover in some grated cheese and grill till cheese bubbles and goes golden brown. If I do a chilli or spaghetti bolognese I have the sause and no rice or pasta and have either a jacket potato or broccoli and cauli. If you let me know what you normally cook and I'll see if I can come up with a bypass alternative xxxx

awww terri thank you

my husband is Arabic so i make alot of dishes with rice.

Dishes that I make regularly are

Mousakka
Spaghetti Bolegnese
Meatballs and Spaghetti
Chicken Korma (served with rice)
Shepherds Pie (I have eaten this since my surgery and its gone down better than anything else I've tried)
Chicken Byriani
Lasagne
Chicken Breast in a honey and mustard sauce (served with rice)
Home made prawn curry (served with rice)
gheima (lamb with lentils also served with rice and potatos)
Egg and Spinach Omelette
Aubergine with a mince and tomato sauce (served with rice)
Stuffed peppers
Dolma (rice and mince wrapped up in vine leaves)
Tuna and Pasta Bake
Different kinds of Pasta bakes
Lamb baked in bbq sauce
Sausage casserole (served with mash and veg)
Grilled vegetables with couscous
Fish Pie

We also have the usual potatos veg and fish/grilled chicken etc

I have tried to eat pizza but all I can eat with out getting sick from it is the hard crusts on thin and crispy pizza.

Things that I have eaten and know I can tolerate

One slice of cheese on toast
half a cheese toastie
a good amount of shepherds pie
fish pie
Chicken noodle soup
mash with one spoon of baked beans (can't eat more than that of baked beans, wish I could cause I love them)
about 3/4 of a boiled egg
dry fried egg on toast (can eat about half)

I have n't actually sat down with the family since my surgery and tried to eat what they eat - to be honest I am scared of how my stomache will react due to the 10 years of suffering I have had with the first surgery. I could n't manage hardly anything solid in the whole of those ten years with out being sick or very ill for days after. I'm sure its mind over matter, have to convince my head that my stomache is fixed now and is in perfect working order all be it much smaller and I think thats what caused me to go off the rails. Once I was passed the mushy stage I was really reluctant to try stuff and was n't patient enough to go through the baby steps of tiny portions of meat etc.

I need ideas of how to start on meat and chicken etc.

Sorry for the long post terri but its really important I get some good ideas for when I have finished this pouch test so I don't go wrong again.

Alia i think you have hit the nail on the head. You have to do the baby stage and start introducing new things gradually. You are a fantastic mum to 6 children. Imagine you pouch is yr 7th. think about each time you have weaned your little ones and the steps you have gone through with that and start the same with pouchy.
I eat all of the following (marked in black)that you have listed but without the rice or pasta and have veg or salad instead
Mousakka
Spaghetti Bolegnese

Meatballs and Spaghetti
Chicken Korma (served with rice)
Shepherds Pie (I have eaten this since my surgery and its gone down better than anything else I've tried) one of my favorates as well but i put cheese in the mash for added protien
Chicken Byriani
Lasagne
Chicken Breast in a honey and mustard sauce (served with rice)
Home made prawn curry (served with rice)
gheima (lamb with lentils also served with rice and potatos)
Egg and Spinach Omelette
Aubergine with a mince and tomato sauce (served with rice)
Stuffed peppers
Dolma (rice and mince wrapped up in vine leaves)
Tuna and Pasta Bake
Different kinds of Pasta bakes
Lamb baked in bbq sauce
Sausage casserole (served with mash and veg)
Grilled vegetables with couscous
Fish Pie

i also do fratata crustless quiche
rissottos used extra meat and veg and half the rice
pealla as above
cauliflower and broccolli cheese
leeks in cheese sauce

just some ideas

try making eating a social thing im sure your hubby and kids would love it and it also removes the temptation to eat bad or quick foods.

I am sooo proud of you. You have recognised yr problem grabbed it by the horns and taken action well done
hc

Back