• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting over

hopeless thank you so much, the kindness I get from the people here never ceases to amaze me and makes me feel even more stupid for staying away once things started to go wrong. I'm sure had I have stayed you gorgeous people would have got me back on the straight and narrow in no time at all. Still I'm here now and you won't get rid of me so easily this time!!

The kids are always asking me to sit and eat with them and I've always told them no so they will love it if I'm part of meal time too, usually when they are eating I'm off in the kitchen cleaning up!

I've started a book and am writing down all the ideas I have been given so that on saturday when I have the first day of a regular eating plan I can be totally prepared.

On the downside my brother in law has been in the states for a few months and arrives back in the morning and he's bought me a full box of reeces pieces (like m&ms but filled with peanut butter) and they are my favourite sweets. Arghhhhhhhhhh Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh and more Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh lol

I can eat most meats now and today have enjoyed chicken tikka with yoghurt sauce it was lush. Always try and keep some of the meat and sauce aside for yourself before you add any sort of rice or pasta or bread. If you try a new food when you are on your own and feel comfortable eating it then maybe the next time sit down with the family and try it their support will be invaluable in helping you stay on the straight and narrow.

When you do make something that you like make a bit extra and freeze it so when you cook something that you find you can't tolerate then you have something in the freezer that you can zap in the microwave and still eat as a family. If you can show them that you are serious about this new eating regieme they will know where they stand to and they can then help you keep on the straight and narrow food wise.

With the stuffed vine leaves could you leave out the rice and just wrap the mince and maybe some veg in the vine leaf so it looks like you are eating the same as everyone else?

Will have a think and see what bypass friendly adaptations I can come up with

I've opened this thread as since my change in mindset I don't want to keep updating on a thread called failure!

I'm on day 2 now of the 5 day pouch test and feeling very proud of myself. Yesterday was good, I did feel hungry though I won't deny it but I kept drinking my water and managed to get through it which has made today seem so much easier. I'm not sure if I'm getting it quite right what I should be eating but for me its been an achievement that nothing 'nasty' passed my lips nor nothing solid.

Just been and stocked up on cottage cheese, fat free natural yoghurt and tuna fish ready for tomorrow day 3 when I get to eat solid protein.

I've been preparing myself for when I'm off of this 5 day test and back to regular food and with help from Nichole I'm going to go back to basics and start over as if I've just had my bypass done. My problem is I'm a bit 'thick' when it comes to food and recipes and not very adventurous so I need quick and simple things to eat other wise I might go off track cause after cooking meals for hubby and the 6 kids I can't face cooking something else for me so its either simple or I go with out basically. Any ideas on very simple post op foods will be greatly appreciated!!

Hope you are all having a good day and feeling as positive as I am.

BTW on my other thread Shell you said that cup a soups are n't that good - I should have said they are slim a soups, the meditteranian tomato one, is that just as bad and if so why are they bad?

Alia xxx

Glad you changed your thread name as you really did not fit the other one...

Keep up the very good work you are doing now...You are a stunning lady now...what a cracker you'll be when you get to your personal goal.

Good luck....looking forward to seeing your progress

(((hugs)))

well I am sooooooooooo proud of myself. I was invited over to a freinds house today and there was a group of ladies there who had all bought dishes of food plus my friend had cooked a delicsious curry and there was loads of cakes and treats but I did n't touch a single thing - just had a coffee. I'm so suprised I was able to to abstain and did n't sit there thinking about how I was missing out - thats a first for me

Yeah me! Go me!

:clap::clap::clap: Well done I am proud of you, you are doing so well. You must be really pleased with yourself, such control.

I'm with Sharron on this. Well done to you. Pressure sometimes to appear 'normal' and dip in is tough. Pat yourself on the back for that one girl..... And btw you sound like a culinary genius, i am dreading finding things i can eat. I reckon i'm gonna live on mash for the rest of my life lol xx

All the lovely people on this thread have given you excellent advice. I can't really add anything. All the foods you mentioned can easily be adapted to be good for you! Terri also gave you a wise tip about freezing small leftovers for yourself so you can pop it in the microwave and have it ready in no time when you need to eat. You can also have prawns in your freezer for a quick meal, just defrost them in some water for a few mintues, dice them add a bit of fat free greek yogurt and some spring onion, it is lovely and full of protein. I like to keep sliced sandwich meat in my fridge so I can roll it up with a slice of cheese or a little low fat cream cheese for a quick meal of protein and maybe a clementine or small apple. Your life must be crazy busy with such a full house but stocking up on yogurts, fresh fruit & veg, cheese and sliced or prepared meats can make a fast and balanced meal for you.

Also, remember as you get back on track you will be able to enjoy the gathering you went to by bringing your own bypass-friendly dish so you are sure to have something to enjoy (a nice fruit salad or a veg or meat dish that is high in protein but low in carb).

Good job so far and excellent positive attitude!

Nic:)

hello lovely people

Things are still going well, not taken in anything I should n't have done.

I have an issue though and not sure what to do about it.

As a muslim we have one month of the year when we fast from dawn till dusk and that month started today and I'm not sure wether I should be fasting or not. You are exempt if you have medical conditions, have to take medication or if you are on your monthly. Would this be classed as a medical condition. I've fasted today so far so I had some porridge at 4am this morning and we can't eat or drink till nearly 9pm tonight. I'm feeling terrible, my mouth is completely dry, I have the headache from hell and I dont know if I'm doing a good thing or not - advice please peeeps

Hi Alia

I would say you need to be drinking all through the day at the very least and as you can't make up for the food you aren't eating during the day like other 'normal' people can I would treat your need to eat little and often as a medical condition that should take priority. You will end up making yourself ill if you try to go all day on a fast for a whole month.

Lyn

I would agree with lynn you need to at least be drinking in the day your body is not the same as others and have a medical need to eat regular small meals and drink during the day to avoid serious malnutrtion and/or dehydration. It is a longtime to go from sunrise to sunset with out drinking it will put serious strain on your body that is already stressed from not having enough nutrients going in on a good day. Hope this helps xXXx

I agree with the others that you have a medical need. Even if you have some yogurt and some milk and maybe some soup to keep your energy up. Then save your proper meal for later.

Thank you all for your advice. As it happens my body gave up on the fasting about an hour ago - I started to feel really dizzy and so sick and my head was so light I thought I was going to pass out so I had to eat something and have a drink and I am now starting to feel normal. My husband came home in the middle of me feeling like that and told me in no uncertain terms I was n't to fast as medically my body is n't able to. When every one was having breakfast at 4am this morning they were all tucking into to eggs and toast and loads of yummys and I only managed a tiny amount of porridge which clearly was n't enough to get me through till nearly 9 o'clock this morning. Oh well at least I tried but I don't ever want to feel like that again it was awful.

alia my friend is also muslim and is bypassed and she doesnt fast. Its now 2 yr since she had her bypass and she like you tried it once and made herself so ill has never done it since. She makes sure during the fasting period that she only drinks plain water and also abstains from some of her favorite foods (a little like catholics giving up something for lent) but other than that she sticks to her 3 regular meals aday and had a snack in the evening when everyone else is eating.
HTH
carole

Back