• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Statistics???????

AA1234

I was just wondering how much the average statistics effect peoples decisions for WLS and which procedure they choose.

For those that chose Bypass - did the fact the you are supposed to be able to loose more of you excess weight with a bypass than a band. Have anything to do with your choice?

For banders - Were you concerned that the average is only 50%-60%.

I have been thinking about this for a while and when updating my own stats I realised I am now just over half way to healthy weight. So in just under 10 weeks (inc 10 days pre op) I have lost 50% of my excess weight.

So my message to everyone is -as long as you work with your surgery and give yourself every opportunity then you can ignore all the stats that go around because at the end of the day. The only thing that determines how much weight you loose is yourself and your commitment.

Sounds logical to me Sue I think you are right. I am going with bypass as I believe it may be better for me with all my comorbidities, although originally I wanted to band it was the doctors who felt I should go with the bypass.
So no I didnt choose bypass for more weight loss. I agree with you that it is how you work with the tools you are given, and have met people who have put most of their weight back on with both band and bypass, so yes it is down to commitment to diet and excercise.
You are doing brilliant Sue are you band?? Well done on your achievement

Jay xx

Just the same as Jay - I initially asked for a band but a bypass was recommended because of type 2 diabetes. But I did feel a little glow of pleasure when I found out about the increased weight loss! But no-one should be smug (I'm not, for one minute, suggesting that anyone here is), as you said you have to work with the tools you are given and they only work if used properly. A lot of people choose a bypass because they know that they would cheat with a band - but people cheat with a bypass too, especially if they find that they don't get dumping syndrome. You're doing great with your weight loss Sue - so you are obviously doing all the right things! Good luck with the rest of your weight loss journey. Marion xx

I always wanted a bypas right from the start as I felt I could cheat a band far easier than a bypass. I do suffer with dumping syndrome and this is the biggest deterrant from eating sugary stuff that I could have wished for. How bad my arthritus got towards the end the quicker weight loss with a bypass has been a bonus.

Sorry I should have said. I had the band fitted.

I have seen quite a few posts on here where people have said that they don't want a band because they will only loose 50% of their excess weight.

I hope that anyone that makes a decision based on statistics really does their homework as many people have shown that those stats are just averages and in my opinion mean nothing.

I opted for the band, but didnt take any notice of statistics. For me, I chose the band, as I know its reversible - me and Hubby plan to have another child in the future and I wanted to make sure that things would be ok.
Yes, you can cheat the band if you want to, but you have to learn to re-educate yourself the same as having a bypass. I think Im doing ok, yes, there are some days where it would just be easier to eat crisps, icecream and chocolate, but then I always stop and think about what motivated me to have the surgery in the first place.
I have a daughter already who is only 3. I was waking up with chest pains in the morning before I had even got out of bed, now I know thats not good for you! I had my band done privately and I think this has also helped in staying on track as I dont want to throw away all that money!!

Sorry I should have said. I had the band fitted.

I have seen quite a few posts on here where people have said that they don't want a band because they will only loose 50% of their excess weight.

I hope that anyone that makes a decision based on statistics really does their homework as many people have shown that those stats are just averages and in my opinion mean nothing.

The stats are actually calculated across a large range of post operative paitents, and only an average idea of what the average person would be expected to lose with each procedure. There is a lot of evidence that those post op paitents that attend regular support groups on average do far better than post op paitents that "go it alone" - As you quite rightly point out stats are only stats, but do give a clear indication of the percentage of excess body fact you could expect to reach with each procedure, so suppose your 10 stone over weight and have a band fitted, and the stats say you can expect to lose 50% of your excess weight, that in theory still leaves you 5 stone over weight, and that extra 5 stone will be the difficult bit to shift.
That said the maximum for a bypass is supposed to 75%, and so far i've lost 85% of my excess body weight, so with the right determination it can be done, and there are others here on the forum that have proved that too !

stats r bypasers loose quicker initially but after 5 years in post op it levels out to the same long term with weight loss and maintanance of the loss xxx both banders and bypassers regain a little weight long term then it levels out x

stats r bypasers loose quicker initially but after 5 years in post op it levels out to the same long term with weight loss and maintanance of the loss xxx both banders and bypassers regain a little weight long term then it levels out x

I've read that too, so would concour with 2 bands here on this ;)

In the real world you just cant compare one person to another or one procedure to another, someone with 12 stone to lose is going to initially lose faster than someone with only 4 or 5 stone to lose, and one person might stick religiously to a low fat high protein diet whilst the other might go out an enjoy there lives, personally i dont live like a monk, i like eating nice foods, allow myself to have a bit of naughtyness now and again and if i go out with friends i might indulge in the odd glass of wine or 2 ! - this doesn't mean i wont eventually get to my goal weight, it just means it might be slower than say someone religously living, eating and breathing post op diet !

Back