• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stats on long term results with band..

fab40

Hello all

It's been a while since I have posted but today my pal called me about the wright show that was talking about gastric bands and this new type of gastric pump.. Which I thought was a terrible idea but that's my opinion

What has stayed on my mind was the stats they talked about how so many people who have been banded after 5 years have gained weight to almost what some had started!

Now I was banded on the 1st sept gone down 4 dress sizes and lost almost three stone, I am happy with my progress but it's been a mental battle of trying not to obsess about food and not to give up on food and snack on crackers.. But I want this to be a success as I have paid for my band and don't want to feel the way I did before the surgery. But it does make me worry about the future and these stats on general success rate...

It is up to me how I use this weight loss tool but feeling a bit negative today

What do you all think and did anyone else see the wright show?

Love to you all

Jane x

Hi Jane

No I didnt see it but its like you say - if you can put the effort in and stick to the rules you will be succesful.

As I say I didnt see it so I dont know the origin of these stats but there are plenty of us on here who buck the trends of average loss with the band.

Stay positive xx

Hi Jane,
I haven't read the statistics you mentioned. One thing that comes to my mind is, that I believe a lot of overweight people have some personal/private issues. There was perhaps some reason (maybe some unhappiness about something from the past or present) that made them let the food get so much out of control. So if those people put all their energy and will into loosing the weight, with the help of the band they will loose the weight, but if the original issues (possibly emotional issues) were not addressed, maybe in the long-term, when they are not concentrating as much on the food, they start slipping into their old eating habits. The band is helping a person to loose weight (or remain slim after loosing the weight) if a person follows certain rules. At the moment, I have been doing well and it work for me, but I found out during Christmas that I still can eat sweets, cakes and alcohol. While I am pretty confident that I will loose a lot of weight in the near future (in the next six months), I am not sure (I don't trust myself enough to be confident) that in the long-term I won't start eating silly things such as too many cakes and other things that are not good for me. It may again creep on me gradually ("once a week one cake won't hurt - I had a bad day", then it will be several times a week, then it will be daily) and in a few years time, it would add up. That might be the reason why the long-term statistics are not as successful with the band. Every weight loss surgery has some 'weakness', that one has to follow certain rules of eating. Anyway, that my possible explanation, but as I said, I did not read the statistics.

yes i saw the gastric pump on the wright show,it sounded vile to be honest i just couldnt do that lol xx

Back