• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Steep Learning Curve

joanne h

I have just suffered by first blockage and by god I felt it! :cry: Was hungry when I came in from work so without thinking had a slice of bread with some soft diet cheese. Thought I'd be ok -but was doing the kids tea and obviously was a) the wrong choice b) in my haste to eat then ate to fast without chewing:mad: .20 minutes of pain coming in waves as my body tried to get it through the gap (no restriction yet either!) I have vowed never to eat bread again. When will I get my head around sitting down and eating slowly when I so used to just doing it without thinking? We learn something new every day

I have just suffered by first blockage and by god I felt it! :cry: Was hungry when I came in from work so without thinking had a slice of bread with some soft diet cheese. Thought I'd be ok -but was doing the kids tea and obviously was a) the wrong choice b) in my haste to eat then ate to fast without chewing:mad: .20 minutes of pain coming in waves as my body tried to get it through the gap (no restriction yet either!) I have vowed never to eat bread again. When will I get my head around sitting down and eating slowly when I so used to just doing it without thinking? We learn something new every day

hope your ok now
lesson for some of us

kay xx

Aww hope you are ok. I didn't try bread until I was 7 weeks post-op. I've just had my first week of eating it but only toasted. I was too scared! I hope it passes for you xx

Been there, done that you are not alone. Boy does it hurt when it happens :cry: I've found trial and error on just a small mouthful can put me there.

Had a sneaky mince pie only yesterday, followed by cold sweats and lying down in the foetal position for a good hour :D

But hey, a good side of the band (weirdly) for me, as it's a reminder not to do it!

You may find in the future that you will be able to tolerate it more, eaten slowly and chewed. Some people find it easier to eat if its been toasted, and others cannot eat it at all. Bread is my downfall and actually wish that it was something I couldn't tolerate, as I know that I can, I've had it a couple of times, but would prefer not to.

Its such a battle between who we were and who we are trying to be. We stick things in our mouths without thinking then suffer the consequences. I have had my first fill and can only have soup jelly and yoghurt anything else is agony !!

I can deal with my stomach I cant deal with my head.

Everyday is a battle with our demons...who got us hear in the first place.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound nice! I haven't had bread since my pre op as I was warned that could happen, not missed it all either. The pain will be a combination of the bread swelling and blocking the banded section of your tum. So a mixture of restriction, in that the bread overfilled you and it being stuck.

Its hard to believe now but you will get used to the eating slow xx

I am now ok - But had slim fast for tea as I couldn't face anything else. Serves me right! How do you structure your eating day? I know everyone will be different but finding it difficult to get it right. I'm up at 5.45 tend to have breakfast at @ 7.30 once I'm at work. Lunch is 1.15 but always have to have something small at break but this can put me off lunch:( then 6pm once home i'm then starving, but if I have something then don't want tea. In life before being banded me and hubby ate after kids had gone to bed @9pm and I don't want to be too ante socialas this can be the only chance to chat about the day... Starting to get that being banded requires not just change in eating habits, mind set but in general patterns of behaviour!!.... All being said - although early days I regret nothing!
Thanks for all the support folks:))

You say you don't have restriction, but the fact the bread got stuck proves you have some....you just learnt in an unpleasant way. Bread was my downfall pre-band, but now I have it the odd time without wanting to binge. In fact if I am feeling very loose-banded at totm, a 1 to 1 1/2 slice meaty sandwich is a good choice for me, as if eaten slowly and chewed well, keeps me full for ages. I get up at 4.30 am with my dogs, so tend to have meals/snacks over 5 sittings purely because that's what works best or me. I used to get tummy ache leaving it too long between meals. Also like you mentioned, eating when ravenous made me make the wrong choices or eat too quickly and resulted in food getting stuck. You will find what works best for you but it may just be a little trial and error. The fun of our new bands :) x

I struggle with eating slowly. I am only 3 weeks post op, so I am on my mashed stage. Sometimes I am really thinking about eating slowly and it feels so weird...and other times I am too hungry (especially if I didn't have opportunity to eat earlier and left too big gap between two meals) and then I eat a bit too quickly and feel sort of pressure in the upper part of my stomach. It is not too painful (possibly because I am still on mashed food so it doesn't clog the hole) but it definitely is a very unpleasant feeling. Like being overeaten and having heartburn feeling. the problem with my mashed food is that it doesn't need chewing, so it feels to me unnatural to eat it slowly. If I could at least chew, when I am having pause between mouthfuls.

Last edited:
I still eat too quickly sometimes. I am a real saddo ... Love people watching and just got into watching how many times people chew a mouthful of food before their next bite...reminds me ... I could do better!!! Having said that, I am better than I used to be pre-band :)

I still eat too quickly sometimes. I am a real saddo ... Love people watching and just got into watching how many times people chew a mouthful of food before their next bite...reminds me ... I could do better!!! Having said that, I am better than I used to be pre-band :)

This is something I'm going to have to learn fast as I've almost choked twice since my fill on Monday :( I find it especially difficult to slow myself down in my break at work when people are talking to me whilst I eat! Lol

Eating and talking is a definite no no for me...disaster always strikes :rolleyes: I am always best working on my PC and eating as I take it more slowly. Pongis you will work it out. Do people at work know you have a band?

Eating and talking is a definite no no for me...disaster always strikes :rolleyes: I am always best working on my PC and eating as I take it more slowly. Pongis you will work it out. Do people at work know you have a band?

Well a couple of them know, had no choice but to tell them yesterday after I almost threw up on them! Lol I must slow down ;)

I love that! I have never thought about counting how many times people chew their food! And compete who will chew longer! :D That would make me slow down. I will definitely try that! :)

Obviously don't do it out loud ... We are not weirdos after all ;)

There is a bloke at work who doesn't chew at all, last week I watched as he inhaled a sausage roll, massive sandwich, crisps, a bottle of coke and a snickers in 10 minutes! All while I was trying my best to concentrate on my chewing! Gonna make sure I get my lunch break at a different time to him in future! Lol ;)

Isn't it weird, though, watching how other people are eating? After I read this thread, I started watching my husband chewing his food and he noticed that I was looking on his mouth when he was putting food in there, so he thought that I want his food! He offered me some!

Once you start watching ... You will not be able to stop LOL

Back