• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A late learning Curve

A.Positive

Hi guys,

Some of you will remember that after my sleeve surgery I had quite a few complications. As a result I didn't have the learning experience that most bariatric patients do. I did not move through liquid, purée, mashed and then solid; its all been a bit muddled which is why I am asking the following "newbie" questions.

Yesterday I had a Barium Swallow (has anyone else had one?) and the Barium took quite some time to go through my oesophagus. The technician asked me to drink some water in a bid to get it moving, it wouldn't and the test had to be stopped. I began to wretch and then vomited.

Part of my issue is that food just gets stuck on the way down, no matter what it is or how I eat it and then it makes me awfully sick. I just wondered if this is something that will change over time (without any medical intervention). I don't want them stretching things; I feel terrified that this will cause me to gain weight over time. But perhaps that is my irrational fear of going through surgery and then failing miserably!!??

I have been given Ensure protein shake and its taken me 2.5 hours to drink half the 220ml bottle. My tummy is just so full! For those of you who have been sleeved or even bypassed how long should it take (I know we are all different but just as a rough guide) for me to drink something like this? Could you drink this amount fairly quickly at 8 months post surgery? Also, what does a typical plate of food look like for you? My dietician showed me the portioned plate from Bariatric Cooking and it scared me to death! Its small but I still cannot imagine eating a plate of food of that size!

I have lost 100% plus of my excess body weight in 8 months, my team are not happy about this at all. Its been far too quick as far as they are concerned and my surgeon took one look at me yesterday and said, "NO MORE WEIGHTLOSS". My blood pressure will not go up and now I am constantly faint and tired. Ugh! But hey, I am still alive!! Haha!

Last edited:
A stretch is only done to stop malnutrition hon. You need to be able to eat without vomiting as the damage you are doing to your oesophagus and teeth etc is irreparable. It will not render your bypass ineffective. It no longer takes me very long to eat something, about 15-20 minutes for a meal. Drinking I can do steadily, gulping will hurt but normal drinking is fine.

Apositive im sorry you are going through this . Im pre op and cant help you. I think Yvessa is right its to stop you from suffering any more and helping you to get the nutriments your body is craving. According also to other things i have researched . Hope it can be all sorted very soon. How heavy was you and what are you now??? Best wishes xx

Your team are quite right to be concerned. I've lost 118% of weight, my BMI hovers around 21.5 I can't eat and surgeon finally said no more and now I have a Jejunostomy feeding tube. You could be heading that way too. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you all. My head is all over the place with this. I will have the results of my test this week and we will have to take it from there. My surgeon also thinks that I may just be one of those patients who's body's just "overreacted" to surgery. If there is no obstruction then they will test my hormone levels as this is a huge part of it all too.

ThinnerJemima, how are you coping with the tube? I know how many issues you have had and I am sorry you have had so much to deal with.

Not coping just yet, sigh. It's only been a week. Not the highlight of my life that is for sure! Things should get easier when I get a new portable pump, my current one is on loan from hospital.

Thank you all. My head is all over the place with this. I will have the results of my test this week and we will have to take it from there. My surgeon also thinks that I may just be one of those patients who's body's just "overreacted" to surgery. If there is no obstruction then they will test my hormone levels as this is a huge part of it all too.

ThinnerJemima, how are you coping with the tube? I know how many issues you have had and I am sorry you have had so much to deal with.

hiya, Im so sorry you are having such probs with your sleeve hun. I was sleeved back in2009 and had the same problem... I had barium test after barium test and my doc couldn't find the problem....Things changed though after about a year into my op and I was then able to tolerate food/drink a bit better...

The thing is though I would still vomit all the time after my meals... don't know why. Anyway, things progressed and my sleeve stretched and all the weight I loss started to pile back on....this has lead to me doing a bypass 4 weeks ago.....

Wish you feel better soon and your team figure out what is going on... All the best hun...

Back