• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Still having problems with water

Josiegirl

Hi everyone. I feel really stupid but I am still having a real problem drinking water. I can drink coffee, cafe latte, tea etc but as soon as I try to sip water I get horrible pain in my chest. I am only managing to drink about half a litre a day and am really worried that I will get dehydrated. I am just over a month since the bypass. Has anyone any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong or any suggestions on how I can get the water down please. :). I don't have any problems with food so far thank goodness.

you seem to be ok with hot/warm stuff, it might me awful but maybe try some warm water? hope u get it sorted x

I would say the same try warm water/juice etc.. I did find warm/hot drinks easier at first too. Good Luck x

i find it easier to sip hot drinks too (last thing you want to do is gulp that down)

try one of those sports bottles with the pull up top much easier to sip from them i've found as they work on a vacuum

just an idea

yes as caron says i would also think hot water with a slice of lemon or lime maybee good luck with that.x x x

you seem to be ok with hot/warm stuff, it might me awful but maybe try some warm water? hope u get it sorted x

That was what I was going to suggest. You could even try adding some NAS juice - warm blackcurrant, warm orange & lemon. May just help get some water down you. Let us know how you get on Honey. XX :D

You could even try the flavoured teas. :D

Hot Squash!!! This stuff is my saviour at the moment, lol. Mind you I've always liked it, and drunk it before I even thought about having this op. Goes right back to childhood, when mum made hot Vimto for us :)
But ,that might be the right answer for you. I'm only 6 days post op, but I agree with most people, in that hot drinks are much easier to sip.

Thanks for all your great ideas. I didn't have any nas squash in so am getting some in the morning. However I had some fresh lemons and sliced some. Poured hot water over and it was lovely. Went down with no problem at all. I am getting some sf Ribena tomorrow as I remember my mother giving us that hot years ago.

Thank you so much. Thanks to your suggestions I think my water problem has been solved. You guys are ace :D

I could always "feel" cold drinks going down and and through until this week, only realised yesterday that wasn't getting that feeling anymore, I'm 5 weeks post, so hopefully it wont be long now for you.:):)

Oh yes that's right I am only six days behind you so not long to wait then. It will be a relief especially in the summer as I can't imagine wanting hot drinks so much in warm weather.

How are you getting on? Are you on solids yet? I expect it will be quite a learning experience with solid foods. I am a bit apprehensive as I naturally head for slightly softer foods like cottage pie, Mariners pie etc, always have. But am determined to try and get everything right if I can :D

Oh yes that's right I am only six days behind you so not long to wait then. It will be a relief especially in the summer as I can't imagine wanting hot drinks so much in warm weather.

How are you getting on? Are you on solids yet? I expect it will be quite a learning experience with solid foods. I am a bit apprehensive as I naturally head for slightly softer foods like cottage pie, Mariners pie etc, always have. But am determined to try and get everything right if I can :D

I thought I'd have to wait until week 6 to start "normal" foods, but Mr Finlay told me to start last week. He said that it would be difficult but worth perservering as those that don't master it, from statistics, are often the ones that end up putting weight back on later on. I think they stay on slider foods that are often not best choices and don't keep you full for long.

So I'm just over a week on normal food and loving it:D I even dine out at lunch and dinner today so very very happy:D:D:D

Hope everything continues well for you :)

Back