• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Recommended daily water consumption... question

Zionaka

Hi All, just a quick question,

I've heard/ read so many different suggestions for what is an appropriate daily water consumption.

I believe I should be having at least 1.5 - 2 lt of water per day.... is that correct?

AND

I so struggle to get that much down, pre op I was a coffee junkie and would have 4 cups a day whilst at work. I know tea and coffee dont count as part of the water requirements.

However, post op, I've gone off coffee (shock horror). I've been drinking peppermint tea which is really nice and supposidly has a soothing / settling effect on the stomach.

My question is.... does peppermint tea count as part of our water allowance??

My dietician told me that it does count as some of your water allowance, but if you have to much it can dehydrate too so to be careful. I must admit getting water down me is reallllllllllllllly difficult for me, I hate water and I dont really like NAS cordial either :eek: I need my legs slapped!! XX

I've not touched the NAS stuff, just dont fancy it.

This is an interesting topic...

As a diabetic I have been told to drink 2.5 litres of water per day (I think that is just over 4 pints in old money) .... and similarly with my weightloss routine I try to drink water daily... for the sake of my pills but also to help blood sugar and blood pressure ...

:party0027:
Can You Drink Too Much Water?

In the past few years studies have shown that many of us don't drink enough water for good health. Along with general healthy eating recommendations, most health promoters have urged us all to drink more water, particularly whilst exercising. The message has been strong - avoid dehydration.
However, there is a different story emerging, especially amongst people who exercise. According to researchers almost as many exercisers are putting their health at risk by over-consuming water as drinking too little.

Drinking water at every opportunity can cause serious problems, such as hyponatraemia or water intoxication. As the water content of the blood increases, the salt content is diluted. Consequently the amount of salt available to body tissues decreases, which can lead to problems with brain, heart and muscle function.
Initial symptoms of over-hydration include dizziness, nausea, apathy and confusion. However these symptoms are also associated with dehydration - so it's important to be aware of how much you are drinking.

Is there cause for alarm? The British Dietetic Association guidelines state that an average adult should consume 2.5 litres of water per day. This intake needs to be increased during periods of hot weather or during and after periods of physical activity.
You can get your daily water requirements from sources other than pure water - your cup of tea counts! Water is the main ingredient of all drinks – carbonated drinks and still drinks, fruit juices and fruit and vegetables all have a high water content.

A clear message of Do It, but Don’t Overdo It!!

Ive been struggling with my liquid intake aswell but keep trying to always have a drink on the go.

The NAS stuff doesnt tickle my fancy much either, tried it for a while but it made me MORE thirsty. So i now drink the diet oasis drink which is YUMMY!

I havent dehydrated yet so alls good. :) xxxx

OOOOO diet Oasis I haven't tried this yet. Any particular flavour? I'm off NAS squash but I drink it out of necessity.
I drink 2 milky coffees per day to get the protein from the milk.
I also drink Lady Grey tea. I think all fluids count, but the problem is that tea and coffee are diuretics so they make us wee more.

Water with ice and slices of lemon and orange is quite nice.

My surgeon really made a huge deal about how much fluid I need to drink at my post-op appointment....especially re: combatting constipation.

LOL, I've had this chat with the Nurse at the L&D today. she told me on top of my 2-3 all milk coffees a day she wants me drink 1.5 litres of water/other fluids a day.I'm lucky if I get 1 litre in a day so I'm now trying really hard to up it, its very difficult as I to have gone off squash but I have been having a carton of very light ribena a day and enjoying it buts its only 220ml so still got over a litre of water to get down my neck as well

I could do with having a drip on overnight as Ill never get all that liquid down me lol......I really must try harder :D XX

It's interesting because drinking enough water can impact upon your well being...

So glad Chinaka started this thread... I have a pint glass of water at my side most of the time and keep sipping it (I love Fanta zero but know it is no good for me!)

Love and hugs xxx

I think herbal teas and water flavoured with lemon and orange is the way to go. I managed about 2 litres a few days ago and I DID definitely feel better for it. I used to drink 3-4 lire a day easily pre-op. I need to like water again. I'm working on it.

I thought it was 2 litres a day.

But there is controversy about whether tea and coffee count.

I don't drink 2 litres of water but quite a lot during the day but do have several cups of tea and a milky coffee daily.

My surgeon told me you know if you are dehydrated by the colour of your wee!!

xxx

Back