• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Strong smells !

happyhilary

Hi , I have been wanting to ask this for ages but am worried its just me !
I started to notice how strong everyday normal things smell . It has become so bad I have to get in the bathroom first thing in the morning and go downstairs before he starts spraying deodorant ! I can smell it downstairs ! He welds all day and he suffers with dry hands . I have had to throw the handcream we have always used because he kept using it . I use coco butter on my skin and I can just about tolerate it. So, am I on my own with this ?!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Any chance you could be pregnant? Xxx

i think wls must mess about with our senses a bit... we have a gland called a vegus gland which our pouches sometimes touch when we are full and this makes our nose run... this also contributes to out sense if smell aswell.. therefore some smells appear stronger now x.. thats what i was told by a surgeon at my hospital lol x well the smell bit... the nose running i learnt on here and the surgeon comfirmed it lol x

I had exactly the same thing, some smells like cheese & onion crisps, grilled bacon, bleach, certain aftershaves & perumes' even air freshener made me gag like crazy all them smells I had no probs with before, the further along I've got (7weeks post op now) the better I am it's very strange lol x x

yep, I can smell everything now, esp the dog and I hate it! My hubby is a smoker and I can't stand him near me till ages after he puts one out!

No more babies for me ! I had everything out years ago !
I am 11 months out and it started from a few weeks post bypass. I had to ask hubby to have another shower the other day because it was that bad , I have to buy him non-smelly's ! Some foods just smell strong but KFC is the worse and that was my all time favourite . I have been to collect it twice for the hubby and I have to drive with the windows open . I wonder if it will settle down ?!

When I first had my operation,greasy smells made me sick.
14 months on and now it's bearable...except eggs!!! Yuk

No more babies for me ! I had everything out years ago !

Just thought I'd check - you never know lol. Sounds like its a common thing post-op x

oh come to thnk about it... i had this lemon kitchen cleaner..and the first few weeks when i would use it i would be gagging... i thought they had put something different in it and have started buying another one and that made me gag too lol.. im ok now though 11 weeks on lol

So glad I asked ! Hubby thought I was making it up ! He said how does your bypass have anything to do with your nose !

I'm the opposite I had a sleeve and smells are so much stronger and nicer. Everything smells Devine lol. X

Hi
How weird! I was just about to post today the same question!!! I am only 1 week post-op but I started having this almost immediately! My husband & daughter brought me some tracksuit bottoms into hosp and the washing powder smell was so strong I physically gagged! Everyone is looking at me at home like I'm mad but I can't stand it! I have the same thing when he sprays the deodorant too!!!
Do you have a strong metallic taste in your mouth? I do and I'm wondering if that's got anything to do with it.
I hope it gets better for us as I love the smell of bacon!!!!!!!

Sarah xx

Whenever I eat, I sneeze twice after. And I started to *crave* strong smells and odd things like bleach etc. I am chronically anaemic and have recently had to have an iron infusion. I feel much better now and the cravings have gone away.

Back