• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

struggling

julieann

I come on here every evening to see what you have all been up to, but haven't posted for a while as i have felt that i could not contribute any advice to postings when i am struggling with the band myself. I was fine up until easter but since then have found it really hard to stay on track and its not the portion sizes, its the snacking in between and the worst of it is, that the more i try not to snack the harder it becomes and i end up giving in to temptation. As i had to take out a loan to finance my band i always said that i wouldn't cheat as i couldnt afford for the band not to work but i am really torturing myself at the moment because i know what i should be doing, i just cant do it. I am starting to feel like a failure!!!!!!!!:cry:

ok calm down your not a failure and this hasnt gone on long term, your aware of what your doing wrong so nows the time to nip it in the bud ans stop it, as you said its cost you alot to get this, if you nip it in the bud now it shouldnt effect weight loss to much but if you continue snacking it will slow or stop your weight loss, try to get out the habbit now, before it gets to out of control and food wins again, dont let it your in control now not the food.

liz x

And it's possible you need another fill....:)

it is possible caz but fills dont stop people snacking/grazing on small amounts of food.

julie you can do this its just a tempory glitch.

liz x

Snacking indicates you are still hungry after a meal, that's what I thinking. I know I was told if I felt hungry after a meal, to call my surgeon for a possible fill.

But Julie, you will get past this :):)

i find that alot of old ways come back and its mostly head hunger or old habbits returning, also hunger can often be mistaken for thirst and i find having a glass of water or juice takes that away, healthy snacks thats prepared in the fridge is a good thing.

its beating the old deamons of eating because "we can".

liz x

You need something to distract you during the snacking times, boredom can lead to increased snacking, also as has been said thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Another thing to take into account is the types of foods your eating, protiens ect tend to stay in the stomach longer giving that full feeling longer.

You know you have to break this cycle and you can do it, use the tools given increased energy to do more/walking/exercise whatever interest you have as well as eating the right types of foods.

Last edited:
You need something to distract you during the snacking times, boredom can lead to increased snacking, also as has been said thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Another thing to take into account is the types of foods your eating, protiens ect tend to stay in the stomach longer giving that full feeling longer.
You know you have to break this cycle and you can do it, use the tools given increased energy to do more/walking/exercise whatever interest you have as well as eating the right types of foods.

great advice

i just wanna say i dont mean to come across harsh in this thread, but i speak as how it is in reality, and being truthfull i find is the best way to help people, and want to help before the snacking gets out of hand and weight loss progress is lost, which then makes it harder to break old habbits that return.

liz x

Thanks liz and you did not, she asked for help and advice she is getting it from us all, everyone has their own take on whats right, she will use parts from everyones replies

Thanks liz and you did not, she asked for help and advice she is getting it from us all, everyone has their own take on whats right, she will use parts from everyones replies

thats good, i just dont wanna seem overpowering, ive lived with this banding situation for just over 4 years now and i know all the tricks with in my words "beating the band " banders are warned that grazing and eating slider foods is a big no no, i hold my hand up and ive made those mistakes, as we all can do, and im just trying to give advice from my own experiences, im not perfect, but i got the t.shirt and the hat, we are all human and ajust to wls in our own time, wheres my head at 4 years on ?, well to be honest its alot wiser but im only human and still give in to temptation just like every one else, but its took a while to get a balanced level.

OH LIZ SHUT UP & STOP TYPING !!!:eek:

thats good, i just dont wanna seem overpowering, ive lived with this banding situation for just over 4 years now and i know all the tricks with in my words "beating the band " banders are warned that grazing and eating slider foods is a big no no, i hold my hand up and ive made those mistakes, as we all can do, and im just trying to give advice from my own experiences, im not perfect, but i got the t.shirt and the hat, we are all human and ajust to wls in our own time, wheres my head at 4 years on ?, well to be honest its alot wiser but im only human and still give in to temptation just like every one else, but its took a while to get a balanced level.

OH LIZ SHUT UP & STOP TYPING !!!:eek:

Thank you all for the advice given, and liz YOU ARE NOT BEING HARSH, everything that you have said is right, and yes i have hit a blip, ive just got to get my head round it and pull myself together. Today is another day and so far so good, i just need to keep myself busy tonight because that is when i really really struggle. I have my after care with the wls group and i have contacted them and am going to london on saturday for one of their support groups, wendy will also assess me as to whether i am in need of another fill, but once again thanx for all the support you all give me. julie x

hi julie, its good to see your being positive today, try having a glass of juice or water when you feel the urge to snack, i do keep seafood sticks in the fridge as a healthy snack and there great if you do need a nibble.

liz x

also Julie do an everyday post make a blog or just a thread here like this one of your everyday struggles and success..

be honest and tell people what your feeling and what you ate today.
not only will you be helping your self but you will also be helping other who where just like you and hit that wall.

stand up and be judged lol ... let us know what you have eaten today so we can slap your wrists lol..

its a support group here also we are here for each other for good and bad.

when your doing good we will be there to tell you and when anything bad happens we will scream at you lol .. with full support.

but be honest and you can not go wrong.

like you have said you paid a lot to get this done and there is no point making your self depressed and broke.. might as well be happy and slim but broke lol ..

but everyone is hear Hun and listen to the people who know best xx

Hi Julie. So sorry you are having a time of it but we all know where you are comming from. Brett gave great advice, come here and talk your struggles out. We really are here for you.:psiholog:

Sending you some good vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes:so that you can move forward and get your band working for you!

((Hugs))
Nic

Julie i am glad today is more positive for you and you are managing to control those cravings, keep talking, the more typing your doing the less your hands will have food in them :p

Hi Julie, glad things are looking a bit brighter today. Try and think like you did before this blip. Think how much you wanted this band to help you and befriend it as thats what its there for. Remember how much you were going to stick with it and did'nt want to waste money to fail. Sooo you are not failing you have not wasted money, you are going to stick with it and most of all you are going to be best freinds with the band. Sorry for rambling but try and get the pre op thoughts back.
Good luck xxx Gaynor xxx

Hey julie recognising that you have a problem is the hardest step and you have taken that now. great advice from everyone heres to continued sucess.
hc

I come on here every evening to see what you have all been up to, but haven't posted for a while as i have felt that i could not contribute any advice to postings when i am struggling with the band myself. I was fine up until easter but since then have found it really hard to stay on track and its not the portion sizes, its the snacking in between and the worst of it is, that the more i try not to snack the harder it becomes and i end up giving in to temptation. As i had to take out a loan to finance my band i always said that i wouldn't cheat as i couldnt afford for the band not to work but i am really torturing myself at the moment because i know what i should be doing, i just cant do it. I am starting to feel like a failure!!!!!!!!:cry:

i struggled alot of the easter hols because i was home all day when usually im not try doing the milk diet for 2 days again iv found it a great way to get me back on track
i snack every night have done since i got the band i dont during day but love to nibble about 9 at night so i have crackers n cream cheese i dont feel deprived of anything if i do good luck hope it gets easier again soon

Well i seem to be back on track a little and the last couple of days have been better, i have cut the portion sizes down and have cut out the snacking. I'm still not sure if i need another band fill but im sure wendy, my bariatric nurse will advise me on that on saturday. I feel slighlty more positive than i was, but still find it a bit of a struggle mentally, but hey im sure i will get there in the end and like my friends have said maybe im being just a little impatient as its only been 5 months since the op. julie

Back