• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice and Tips needed

Mynewlife

Hiya

even after having my band fitted for a year now, believe it or not, I am still struggling with eating and drinking at the same time, and need help as to how best to overcome it.

Does anyone have any advice to offer as to how they stopped doing it? I am being sick (literally throwing up) because I eat, then have a sip of drink, a pocket of air or something uncomfortable develops, I have to go to the loo, throw that up (always from above the band, so not too disgusting:sigh:). Today it was so bad that I had to leave work after doing it twice in a row, and hurting my stomach. You would think I would learn by now:cry:, but I still seem to continue to do it and cannot understand why I sabotage myself like this. ANY HELP, ANY ADVICE, would be so welcomed. What has worked for you?

thanks so much, I need to stop this behaviour asap:cry:

MNL

Hi mnl, I too find this really hard. In fact I think its the hardest part of having the band. I find the only way round it is to not make a drink at meal time and just get on without one.You can bet your life though that as soon as the 30 minutes are up the kettles on lol.

Thanks for the response Thinkbethin. I should have got this habit down pat by now, but I still drink, knowing it will not be good for me. I do have a stop watch, and I might have to start planning my day better, I think the key is discipline and I have been really lax about the drinking and eating. The pocket that develops in the top stomach is painful enough to put anyone off of doing this, yet I still seem to shut it out and carry on.

MNL:confused:

To be honest there is nothing you can really do except wait for about an hour after food to have a drink (this was the origional advice I recived from my surgeon). This will also stop you flushing food through too quickly which can make you feel hungery sooner.

I know exactly how you feel I've had my band 4 years now and still get this on the odd occasion I forget. Its not nice being sick and its not a nice feeling when you can feel everything backing up. I hope you feel better soon.

I have the same problem. I am not a big drinker so I end up thinking about having a drink at meal times. I don't and then by the time the hour is up I forget and don't bother. I am really bad at getting drinks down me.

Didn't know that drinking and eating can make you sick though.

To be honest there is nothing you can really do except wait for about an hour after food to have a drink (this was the origional advice I recived from my surgeon). This will also stop you flushing food through too quickly which can make you feel hungery sooner.

i totally agree with you fuze, setting a routine is the best way to go on, we are creatures of habbit and itd trying to break an old habbit for a new one in its place.
I know exactly how you feel I've had my band 4 years now and still get this on the odd occasion I forget. Its not nice being sick and its not a nice feeling when you can feel everything backing up. I hope you feel better soon.

i am also a bander of 4 years, i notice that you will be having a bypass soon, if its ok to ask why are you going from band to bypass after 4 years, if you dont want to say tell me to bugger off for being nosy x

Thanks everyone.

I am curious also, Liz.... Fuze, why you are having a bypass after having a band fitted for 4 years?
Hope you dont mind us asking?

MNL:wave_cry:

I don't mind you asking at all. If you check out my diary, 'And in the beginning......... I have written about it in there I think. If not ill post it bin there when in on my computer as I'm on my mobile at the moment using the internet and its a long story. Xx

i have the same problems i forget to drink a lot and tend to be thirsty 2 mins before food is ready or need something not long after! Im also curious fuze? x

OK scrap that im back on my computer (we are having internet issues due to guinea pig induced internet cable damage).

So basically I had my band fitted 4 years ago privately with the hospital group (THG) and at first it was great I lost about 5 stone in 8 6 to 7 months, then I got a blockage and ended up in hospital for a week having IV fluids as I could not keep anything down. So I had the fluid removed from the band. I was advised to not have any fluid put back in for a month to allow the swelling from the trauma of something being stuck to go down. A month later I went back to THG and had my fill and all was ok and I gradually built back up fills as I was getting less and less restriction very quickly. Until I reached the point where the band was full, there could be no more put into it and I got to the point where I have NO resistance at all apart from when eating alot of bread (but i have always had an on off relationship with bread all my life). So it got to the point where THG were like well you are now o longer one of our patients so go talk to your own doctor. By this point I had put all the weight back on and more as I was not feeling full after the small amounts of food I was trying to stick to and I started snacking and picking at food as I was hungry still- i know i should have more discipline but why else would I have had WLS in the first place if I did not need a little help to loose weight, control my portion size and hunger). So anyway I left it for about a year as I was busy at university and thought i could do it on my own again so i went back to WW and it worked for a while but you know what it is like what little weight i did loose went back on plus more. So about 18 months ago I was referred to Dr New at Salford royal as I wanted to see about going on medication or the VLC diet but he just told me point blank that I needed to have a bypass. I was very shocked at this as I was unwilling to acept that I had paid for surgery and it had failed. He told me Im not the only one who it has failed on. He also said that it was probably inappropriate that I had a band in the first place as my BMI at the time was so high and because of the fact that I have a sweet tooth (see the thread on THG - I have a little rant about this there). So here I am 3 stone heavier now than I was 4 years ago when I had the band put in. It was reassuring to talk to my surgeon as he said that there is always a failure rate with every WLS and I am just one of the unlucky ones where it has failed.

So on the 3rd of August (all being well) I shall be having my bypass and making sure that I seize every opportunity!!!

Last edited:
Wow!! you have been through it but still you come across really positive thank goodness. Thanks for posting this, its very interesting.

I really hope the bypass is the answer to all your dreams xx

Hiya Fuze
thank you for your reply, it was really interesting. I had my band fitted with the hospital group also, and I would not rate them at all. Do you still have your band in, or will it be removed when you have the bypass? Are you getting your bypass through the nhs?
I agree with the comments that you have remained positive, despite your experience. I hope that the bypass does the trick for you. Thanks once again for sharing your story.

MNL:)

Hiya Fuze
thank you for your reply, it was really interesting. I had my band fitted with the hospital group also, and I would not rate them at all. Do you still have your band in, or will it be removed when you have the bypass? Are you getting your bypass through the nhs?
I agree with the comments that you have remained positive, despite your experience. I hope that the bypass does the trick for you. Thanks once again for sharing your story.

MNL:)

Thank you so much for your kind words, I feel it is always very important to keep a positive outlook on things like this as life is too short to not live your life and enjoy it !!!

I still have my band in and Mr Ammori will remove it during the bypass surgery, and yes im having done on the NHS, I got funding no problem due to my worsening health and ever increasing, disgustingly high BMI (i dont want to offend its just my BMI that im disgusted with no one elses!).

I had a terrible time with THG, the messed me around so much, it was like all they wanted was my money. But for some they have had a good experience. I am sorry you have not had a good experience with them either, I dont like posting about my band as I dont want to put people off but I suppose it is important for people to know about the possibility of band failure. Congratulations on your weight loss and I hope you feel better after the sickness, it is NOT nice!!

Hi Fuze, I was wondering what happened if the band is filled to capacity and there's still no restriction. I have had my 2nd fill today and have 7.5 ml in a 9 ml band. So if this does'nt work and I get to full capacity I'm buggared.

hi fuze thanks so much for sharing your story with us, THG are just money grabbers and have no form of care towards there patients after the money has been handed over they are the worst providor going in my personal opinion.

i also had a failed band but was different circumstances to yourself, THG should of no way banded you in the 1st place after telling them about your sweet tooth but yet again it comes back down to them taking your money.

please dont worry about posting about your experience with your band as i think people need to know all the good bad and the ugly sides to being banded as things can go wrong for any bander and knowledge is the key to part of the research people can do before making there final decision of which op to choose.

i wish you the best of luck with your up coming bypass and i hope it works out great for you and that it will be a great success for you.

goodluck hun xxx

liz xxx

Back