• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sugar Free and Marvel?

bouncypanda

Just a couple of questions.

Do we HAVE to use Marvel? I hate ordinary milk as I'm so used to unsweetened soya so would I have to use it after the op?

Also...

Does everything have to be sugar free that we eat post op? I've weaned myself off Diet Coke and now having small bottles of the low sugar fruit shoot (only 18 calories a small bottle) - are they still ok to use post op?

:confused:

I never had Marvel (or any other milk powder) and I have half a teaspoon of golden syrup in my porridge to sweet it as I don't want to use artificial sweetener :)

Just a couple of questions.

Do we HAVE to use Marvel? I hate ordinary milk as I'm so used to unsweetened soya so would I have to use it after the op?

No you don't but you must prioritise protein. So while its absolutely fine to use unsweetened soya, and it may even help you may want to supplement with some protein shakes or similar.

Also...

Does everything have to be sugar free that we eat post op? I've weaned myself off Diet Coke and now having small bottles of the low sugar fruit shoot (only 18 calories a small bottle) - are they still ok to use post op?

:confused:
My personal view is that the only liquid calories I choose to drink are milk and protein shakes. I do have a j20 when out but the low sugar fruitshoots aren't the best idea, as you'll need a minimum of 1.5 litres fluid post op every day. That's 7.5 of those little bottles which is 135 cals of nutritionally useless fluid. in the main you should be drinking sugar free non-fizzy liquids - doesn't hurt to have the odd fruitshoot here or there.

Also, too much sugar will make you dump - only has to happen once before you realise you never want to feel that way again.

Also, too much sugar will make you dump - only has to happen once before you realise you never want to feel that way again.

Oh I've learnt all about dumping as I've been diabetic for 13 years so had my fair share. Right, I'll have to get some sugar free stuff in. :)

Although looking at stuff available in Asda, their NAS drinks are more calories than a low sugar fruit shoot per 100ml. Hmmm. Not sure what to do then. I've not had a diabetic dump on them as yet as I only have a couple a day as well as 6 pints of cold water although I take on board I'll need more protein. Right now I'm just dieting and not quite taking in enough protein as I should.

I won't be drinking them all the time as the majority of the day I drink green tea and water, I just needed to get off the diet coke so I don't miss it when I have the op.

Last edited:
Also if it helps, I drank my pepsi max until the night before the op. After that, haven't touched it except once since and it wasn't nice :( So I don't miss it at all. Your tastes will change post op.

Dumping is NOTHING like a diabetic hypo! It is 10 x worse!! I was a diabetic pre op on massive doses of insulin and hypo'd a lot and since my RNY I now hypo 6-7 times per day (on no diabetic medication but that is a whole other story!) I have dumped since my bypass and it is horrendous! You honestly feel as tho you are dying!!

You need to choose your drinks and foods according to protein and low sugar/carbs and not calories at the beginning, you can count calories much later into your WLS journey but for at least the first 12 months you need to eat as much protein as you can and eat very low sugar/carbs. Please do not concentrate on calories otherwise you will confuse yourself.

The fruit shoots are fine for one off treats but you would be better off drinking NAS cordial with water, water or decaf tea and coffee. You need to try and get 2 litres in a day and as Yve says those fruit shoots are just sugar loaded mini bottles of wasted space :)

NAS for me isa great way to get my fluids in. I'm sipping on pint of hot lemon NAS squash right now. I do drink plain water too. The only time I have a Fruit Shoot is when we go out to eat at Weatherspoons. I have he kids roast and you get a fruit shoot and bag of fruit with it.
I am such a cheap date !!

Oh I've learnt all about dumping as I've been diabetic for 13 years so had my fair share. Right, I'll have to get some sugar free stuff in. :) Although looking at stuff available in Asda, their NAS drinks are more calories than a low sugar fruit shoot per 100ml. Hmmm. Not sure what to do then. I've not had a diabetic dump on them as yet as I only have a couple a day as well as 6 pints of cold water although I take on board I'll need more protein. Right now I'm just dieting and not quite taking in enough protein as I should. I won't be drinking them all the time as the majority of the day I drink green tea and water, I just needed to get off the diet coke so I don't miss it when I have the op.

Hi I'm not diebetic but lactose intolerant and I have unsweetened soya milk . I have used marvel in my homemade smoothie just 2 teaspoons and you can't taste it, that's how to boost your protein . Also it had not effected me in any way which I'm pleased to say as I've struggled getting protein in me . If you want a bit if sweetness I juiced a ripe melon and water it down so I had a nice refreshing drink with only the sugar of the melon but you must water it down as can be quite acidic . I hope that helps you . I'm just coming of my liquid diet on Monday I've had the sleeve done . Good luck .

Back