• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sugar free trifle and sponge recipes

jaxx

I don't know if it's been done before but I made myself a bypass friendly no added sugar trifle for Xmas and it was very lovely indeed so I thought I'd share it with you all.

Ingredients

1 packet of sugar free jelly (I used strawberry but it's totally up to you)

1 packet of no added sugar angel delight (again flavour is totally up to you, I used strawberry)

Enough semi skimmed or skimmed milk to make up the NAS Angel Delight

Fruit of your choice

Sugar free sponge cake (see recipe below if you don't know of any)

Bit of sherry (optional again)

Low fat Creme Fraiche (Morrison's own seems to be a decent one but I found the Weight Watchers one had a higher sugar content!)

No added sugar chocolate (Sainsbury's do a very nice NAS milk chocolate which is what I used but you can get NAS chocolate from Holland and Barrett or Boots as well)

Chopped nuts

Method

Line a bowl with some sugar free sponge fingers or slices of cake (see recipe below).

Add sherry to the sponge if you are using it and allow the sponge time to absorb the liquid.

Add fruit as well if you like.

Make up the Jelly to the packet instructions and pour over the cake and fruit. Allow to set in the fridge.

Make up the no added sugar Angel Delight as per the instructions with the milk. Pour over the jelly and put in the fridge and allow to set.

Dot spoonfuls of the Creme Fraiche over the set angel delight and sprinkle with grated no added sugar chocolate and chopped nuts. You can also add fresh fruit as well if you wish.

I omitted the sponge and the sherry as I've never liked trifle with them in. I still found it delicious but it's open to personal improvisation with the ingredients.

Sugar Free Sponge Recipe

Ingredients

4oz of self raising flour

4oz of butter (room temperature)

3.5oz of Xylitol sugar substitute (available from Holland and Barrett) which doesn't disintergrate at a high temperature. The recipe calls for 4oz of caster sugar but I found the cake to be terribly sweet with 4oz of Xylitol which is a lot sweeter than sugar

2 medium eggs

Method

Cream the Xylitol and butter together until well blended.

In a seperate jug beat the eggs together.

Slowly add the eggs to the creamed Xylitol and butter (it doesn't matter if it looks curdled at this point just keep mixing till all the eggs are in).

Slowly fold in the flour with a metal spoon trying to incoporate air in while you mix until the mixture is smooth.

Once thoroughly mixed (using an electric whisk helps), divide into little cake cases and put on the middle shelf of a preheated oven (Gas mark 3, 170C, 375F) for 25 - 30 minutes.

Once they're a golden colour and springy in the middle they're done.

Once they're cooled etc, you can slice them for your trifle if you wish or just eat them as they are! But be careful, as always with sugar substitutes, Xylitol does cause a laxative effect if you eat too much of it.

You can also take out a spoonful of the flour from the cake recipe and use a spoonful of cocoa powder to make choc cakes, just make sure it is cocoa powder rather than drinking chocolate. Check the sugar content.