• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sugar's confusing me

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
Ok sooo, i know that as a guide we should only have foods which are 5g of sugar in 100g of food.

So how come my hospital have said i can have...

Slimfasts - 24g in a bottle
Fruit Juice - admittedly diluted with a little water but it's still very sweet.

I've seen some people have petit filous which have 12.4g in 100g of product.

I'm so confused about what i can have and what i can't..... Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Most of the sugars in slim fast and petite filous is from lactose sugars that come from milk. Both lactose sugars and fruit sugars are easily digested by the body and that is why most people don't have an issue with dumping on them post op. However some people become that sensitive they develop a lactose intolerance and there for have to avoid it. Hope this helps x x

Thanks Tesmaralda, that does make a bit more sense now x

Kathleen, not sure if the 5g's are in my notes from the hospital but i thought it was pretty much the rule of thumb... I could be wrong though :)

my dietary advice was 5g per 100g but again it goes to show the different advice offered by different providers. But go with what yr provider says!!

My provider said 10g of sugar per 100g of product. Different providers have different guidelines it seems.

Mine say 5% sugar but the list of foods they suggest are lots higher. I was told to add slimfast and complan to my diet which are both mega in sugar.

I am really interested in this thread as I was looking at complan yesterday as it says on my after op diet sheet that we can have complan but that has loads of sugar. Needless to say I am not buying it.

Lol Sharon, that's what makes it so confusing.

Today i had a banana protein shake for breakfast made with SS smilk and put a small tsp of peanut butter in it, about half way through i started to feel my heart palpitate a bit faster and harder than usual and felt sick plus started to feel like i had a tummy ache... It went after about 10 mins but not sure what caused it as the peanut butter only has 5g per 100g of sugar..... Unless it's the fat content, but then i only had a very very small amount in my shake :confused:

I was given the guidelines of no more than 5 grams per 100 grams of sugar and 8 grams per 100 grams of fat. For the most part I stick to this but I have found I don't dump on either fat or sugar. However I think the guidelines are still a good thing to live by. I now read every label on every food I buy. I sometimes buy food that is over but I only do it occasionally.

Mr Ammori does not approve of supplements at all because he believes that you should learn to make good food choices and food is a much better source of nutrients than a supplement.

I can't argue with that logic but I do use protein supplements I add it to my oats for breakfast as I just like the taste and I think the extra protein hit won't do me any harm. As I don't have it everyday.

What I try to do is to create a balanced diet that I will be able to follow for the rest of my life. I need to learn good habits that I can sustain. That comes from understanding nutrition and then listening to what works for my body. Sometimes I need to eat things which on the face of it break the rules but overall provide good nutrients such as avocados very high fat but they have so many benefical properties I think it would be a crime not to include them in my diet!

I was given the guidelines of no more than 5 grams per 100 grams of sugar and 8 grams per 100 grams of fat. For the most part I stick to this but I have found I don't dump on either fat or sugar. However I think the guidelines are still a good thing to live by. I now read every label on every food I buy. I sometimes buy food that is over but I only do it occasionally.

Mr Ammori does not approve of supplements at all because he believes that you should learn to make good food choices and food is a much better source of nutrients than a supplement.

I can't argue with that logic but I do use protein supplements I add it to my oats for breakfast as I just like the taste and I think the extra protein hit won't do me any harm. As I don't have it everyday.

What I try to do is to create a balanced diet that I will be able to follow for the rest of my life. I need to learn good habits that I can sustain. That comes from understanding nutrition and then listening to what works for my body. Sometimes I need to eat things which on the face of it break the rules but overall provide good nutrients such as avocados very high fat but they have so many benefical properties I think it would be a crime not to include them in my diet!

I agree, although i'm sure once i'm off the liquid stage and onto proper food i'll still have the occasional protein shake, i'm looking forward to getting my nutrution from other sources.... Can't wait till i can have some fish lol

Ms Kat I loathed the puree stage and I couldn't wait to get to something more substantial but I cooked good stuff and whizzed the life out of it. I was never a lover of fish but I have trained myself and I now eat far more as its not only a great source of low fat protein it has so many beneficial health effects.

Anyway now I plan my menus and I include fish and shell fish as often as possible. I eat green and red veggies and hardly ever bother with potato as it never seems worth the effort. I have also made a change to venison as its such a great source of low fat protein. I have learnt to cook it properly and now I love it much more than beef I feel very virtuous when I eat it!! lol

I think I am now eating better and more healthily than ever and that was my goal so I am a happy camper.

Aww you can't eat Bambi!!! Follow flipper's diet instead lol x

Lol Julie I have my own rules which are as long as Bambi, Flipper, Babe, Ermintrude and Larry the Lamb have had a great life and have been killed humanely than I will eat all of them and enjoy it!!!

I don't want to eat anything that has been battery farmed or which has been grown to be cheap!! I like good produce that can be traced back to its origin and I will pay a premium to get it. It works for me but I can appreciate and respect vegetarian principles even though I don't share them.

I was told 5% (i.e. 5g in every 100g) by my hospital too but I think you kind of have to test it out yourself. I've realised I can have up to 20% without dumping...in some ways I wish it was less - still not too worried about it at the mo.

I had the same surgeon as others on here and was told something different. I was told 10g per 100g.

Back