• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery at Sunderland

jjan3t

I am having a bypass at Sunderland on 24th this month. Is anyone having surgery there that week?
After the surgery do the start you on fluids or puree? Need to know if I need to start making and freezing soup? or can I puree normal soups or weightwatchers soups?

Thanks in advance

Janet xx

just want to wish you luck sweetpea, sorry i cant answer your question.... oooo ive my thir appointment next month cant wait!! x

Hi Janet. I had a bypass at Sunderland, in March. You start on fluids the day after surgery, then sloppy porridge the next day and continue with pureed or 'sloppy' foods, gradually adding more texture as the weeks go by.

Last edited:
Hi Jan I had my bypass in SRH 10/8/10. Don't make too many soups because you may well find that after surgery your tastes change a lot. You'll be on pureed food/soup for 4 weeks then move onto 'mushy' food ( such as cottage pie etc) for another 4 weeks.

Watch out for tinned soups re: sugar content as too high sugar could make you dump. Baxters consomme is very nice though.

Thanks ravelling and charis I am not going to make any soup lol I am gonna buy some ready brek instead. When did you get your appointmentfor pre op, I still havent got a date.

Jx

Good Luck with op Janet, take care, Karen x

o dero will i HAVE to eat porridge on the ward?... cos i shall be a retching :( x

Good luck with your op, If ur having bypass be very careful as weight watchers soup are high in sugar content...

All the best - Me Julie xx

Mr Small told us that we could go home if we could eat the porridge and keep it down - it was quite a good motivator!

gill what if you dont like it tho, it seriously makes me retch x

On the third day i had the porridge for breakfast and then they made me eat mash and gravy for lunch ! Hospital mash is so vile !!! Thank god i went home that afternoon before i had to have tea !
I lived on ready break and mushed up weetabix for the first couple of weeks as all the mushy stuff i had pre made and frozen (that i had liked the taste of pre op) suddenly tasted manky !
I enjoyed heinz spring veg soup as i found i could mush up the little pieces of veg really easily (and its one of the the lowest calorie soups they do too)

luckily I like porrige and weetabix. I will eat the horrible mash if it means going home lol.
Thanks for your support. I am not a great lover of soup so will wait and see after surgery.

You could always try oxo's and actimel drinks, I know that's what my aunty had quite a lot, Karen x

o dero will i HAVE to eat porridge on the ward?... cos i shall be a retching :( x

LOL Kelly! you can have mushy (very mushy) weetabix instead!

Thanks ravelling and charis I am not going to make any soup lol I am gonna buy some ready brek instead. When did you get your appointmentfor pre op, I still havent got a date.

Jx
J you will want more than ready brek, you'll need high protein. Ready brek is mainly carbs.

Re: pre-op...I got mine sent about 2 weeks pre-op and it was on the Wednesday prior to admission on the Monday.

Back