• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery date!!!!!!!

valentine

Just had a surprise call from St Mary's giving me a date for surgery to finally get rid of my band or if I'm unlucky have it repositioned ...

Pretty sure they are going to remove and revise at a later date to bypass so hopefully that's the out come... If they take it out I should be back on the table for my revision after 8-12 weeks..

Absolutely thrilled...

Only snag I had is that I was due for surgery on my neck on the 20th May and my band surgery is on the 21st....

Spoke to orthopaedic surgery admissions and he is happy for me to have the bariatric surgery first ... Had the pre op for it yesterday and my BMI was 38.8 and I really don't want a major op on my neck at that BMI when with a bit of luck I could be on his operating table in 6 months time with a much lower one...

So pleased that things are finally happening as I felt like I was in bariatric wilderness for last few months...

Happy happy happy xxxxx

congrats on the date good luck

Massive congrats, very happy for you! Which St Mary's? Paddington?

Yep the imperial weight center... I'm under sherif hakky and Krishna moorthy ....

Was really lucky with getting a referral to them aa my fiancé is one of their patients and he introduced me to his surgeon at one of his check ups ... He has a DS and has lost 25 stone...

They told me to get my GP to send a referral and how to get it...

I'm a self funded bander from 2004 and now I'm NHS so I'm super happy to have my date...

Thank you x

Massive congrats, very happy for you! Which St Mary's? Paddington?

Just noticed we have the same surgeon!!!!

And your newly bypassed too .. You must feel fan to be on the losers bench x

Just noticed we have the same surgeon!!!! And your newly bypassed too .. You must feel fan to be on the losers bench x

Mr Moorthy did my op. He's a really nice bloke too, which helps. I was his only patient in Paterson Ward on Good Friday and even though he wasn't operating, he still stopped by to see me, even though I'd already seen two members of his team that day. He takes a lot of personal pride in his work.

What I like most about him is that he's very straight forward with me. No BS, just tells it like it is. I appreciate that.

He is great... The whole team are warm and friendly..

It was him that got me in as a revision so I never had to jump through the funding hoops ...

They were going to see if they could refill my bans initially but found it had slipped so the bypass was suggested instead ...

Bit they have to take the band out first and let things heal before it can be done ...

Wish I had opted for bypass in the beginning and never had the band as it's been one problem after another the last five years,... Was all rosy and lovely for the first few years then all the sickness and reflux set in and ultimately the slippage...

My fiancé has had 2 bands and both went wrong.. One slipped and the other eroded into his tummy... So he had DS done and is fine now ...
They don't do many bands at st Mary's anymore as they seem to be taking out more than they put in and revise them to something else...

Good luck to any banders who are successful as it can be a rough ride once your a few years post op ...

How ya feeling Dave?? Is it all healing up nicely? Did they give you lots of info about nutrition etc ? x

He is great... The whole team are warm and friendly.. It was him that got me in as a revision so I never had to jump through the funding hoops ... They were going to see if they could refill my bans initially but found it had slipped so the bypass was suggested instead ... Bit they have to take the band out first and let things heal before it can be done ... Wish I had opted for bypass in the beginning and never had the band as it's been one problem after another the last five years,... Was all rosy and lovely for the first few years then all the sickness and reflux set in and ultimately the slippage... My fiancé has had 2 bands and both went wrong.. One slipped and the other eroded into his tummy... So he had DS done and is fine now ... They don't do many bands at st Mary's anymore as they seem to be taking out more than they put in and revise them to something else... Good luck to any banders who are successful as it can be a rough ride once your a few years post op ... How ya feeling Dave?? Is it all healing up nicely? Did they give you lots of info about nutrition etc ? x

The band situation sounds horrific. Quite common too. I'm glad Mr Moorthy could sort it for you.

I was feeling fine until 4.45am today, when I woke up with major pain in my lower abdomen. I spent an hour and 45 minutes in the bathroom, but it didn't make much difference. Now I'm awake, feeling sick and the pain is coming in waves, like really bad wind pain. How lovely.

I've not had that much info about nutrition, but I do have an appointment next Tuesday, so perhaps I'll get more then. If not, I'll ask.

Have a great day! x

Hi Dave,

How are you feeling today? I've seen a few of your posts and been smiling away as I read them :) I'm having sleeve surgery on 6th May, countdown is on!!

Did the pain you have kind of radiate round your back as well? I know gallstone pain usually can hit in the wee early hours of the morning and I used to get awful pain around the same time with gallstones. Took a very long time for me to be diagnosed as I thought it was all just a dodgy stomach/wind related pain until I ended up admitted to hospital.

Gallstones can rear their ugly head when losing weight.

Hope you're feeling a bit better today xxx

Hi Dave, How are you feeling today? I've seen a few of your posts and been smiling away as I read them :) I'm having sleeve surgery on 6th May, countdown is on!! Did the pain you have kind of radiate round your back as well? I know gallstone pain usually can hit in the wee early hours of the morning and I used to get awful pain around the same time with gallstones. Took a very long time for me to be diagnosed as I thought it was all just a dodgy stomach/wind related pain until I ended up admitted to hospital. Gallstones can rear their ugly head when losing weight. Hope you're feeling a bit better today xxx

Hi Banana! (Great name!) I'm doing better now, thanks for asking. I'm taking medication to fend off gallstones, so hopefully it's working. I have to take four huge, hard capsules daily for 6 months. Fortunately, the pain didn't start in my back. I'll keep an eye on it though - but as I didn't have gallstones when I had surgery, am I likely to have them now? How long do they take to form?

The nauseous feeling is subsiding now, and I've had the English tradition of a soothing cup of tea. It's all good.... :)

Hi Dave,

I doubt they would form in a few weeks, I would imagine they develop over more time than that. Sounds like you're fully covered on the gallstone side ;) I bet those tablets are horrid but definitely not as horrid as gallstone pain so stick with them!! I had my gallbladder lopped out a year and a half ago thank goodness :)

TGIF today, looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend, being very good on my pre op diet :)

Looking forward to reading about your journey and how everything goes for you and hope you don't have any more of those pains!xx

Hi Dave, I doubt they would form in a few weeks, I would imagine they develop over more time than that. Sounds like you're fully covered on the gallstone side ;) I bet those tablets are horrid but definitely not as horrid as gallstone pain so stick with them!! I had my gallbladder lopped out a year and a half ago thank goodness :) TGIF today, looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend, being very good on my pre op diet :) Looking forward to reading about your journey and how everything goes for you and hope you don't have any more of those pains!xx

Thanks for the info honey, I appreciate it. Wishing you a lovely weekend.

Dave..x

hi valentine, i had my crap band out 8 weeks ago, had it 11 long suffering years,worse thing i ever did was getting that band, im waiting for a bypass too :) good luck, removal was easy peasy compared to having it in x

Hiya vamp I'm now counting the days till I get it out... Yours was the same kinda era as mine and it was the biggest mistake I ever made... Ihad a BMI of 48 when it was done so should have just had the bypass and saved my money...

How long have you got to wait for ya bypass???

I've been told 12 weeks max from band removal...

Glad ya feeling better Dave and ya pain has passed Hun x

Back