• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery & fakery

Louise1

You're probably going to laugh at this thread or think I'm a little mad.
Previously for anaesthetic I've had to remove nails varnish etc so they can check the colour of your nail beds.
I have eyelash extensions. Not the stick on fake ones but the expensive individually applied lashes that have no be put on & removed professionally.
What I'm wondering is will I have to have them removed for surgery?
Am I right in thinking my eyes will be taped closed when I'm under anaesthetic in which case they would need to be removed?
Has anyone else had this issue?
Thank you!!
xx

I know that somebody had to have their nails removed prior to surgery when I was in and I would imagine that u would have to remove your eyelashes also, they don't like anything that can possibly become loose which is why they tape up rings, earrings etc. I don't know if they tape your eyes shut but on the tv if u watch a surgery I have seen eyes taped. Probably worth playing safe and just assume so u haven't got to rush removing them on day of surgery :) xx

hi , i had my surgery 3weeks ago and had to remove my lashes and nails , and stop spray tan a few weeks before ,,only incase of infection with the tanning spray ,,but i have heard of others who were allowed to keep all their false girly bits lol xx good luck x

I was intrigued by the thread title lol

Yeah I would remove nails and eyelashes personally. All the best!!

haha ,after my eyelashes ,nails and gall bladder were removed,no wonder i lost so much weight haha!

Why don't you give your team a ring & ask , you might not have to & be able to save yourself the hassle & cost

I'm really :-( about taking my acrylic nails off for Monday. They're my real nails underneath but with a french polish and acrylic on top and I LOVE them and now can't imagine being without them. But I guess it would be nice for my nails to have a bit of a rest! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

if in doubt always best to ask your team what you can and cannot leave....saves paying to have them removed if you don't need to

I had surgery last year to remove a tumor from my jawline just below my ear. I had a light pink polish on my toenails which they knew about and it was ok. Maybe it was ok because A) it was on my toes where they don't need to check for oxygen levels and B) maybe because it was at the complete opposite end to where they were operating?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Do we have to take nail varnish off toe nails too. I'm booked in for a manicure and to remove my acrylics the weekend before my op.

Kate x
think so mate, they can tell things by your nails apparently :) xxx

Removing the nail varnish is so they can see if you are well oxygenated ( like your lips the nail bed goes blue ) & so the sats monitor gets a good reading . Removing or taping jewelry is to prevent accidental burns if they have to use diathermy

Removing the nail varnish is so they can see if you are well oxygenated ( like your lips the nail bed goes blue ) & so the sats monitor gets a good reading . Removing or taping jewelry is to prevent accidental burns if they have to use diathermy
whats one of those please?

Otherwise known as cautery , where the burn off bleeding points , more in open surgery , but the check lists cover everything , rather than having hundreds of op specific check lists

Back