• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Take a Break mag article - re: addiction transfer

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
Has anyone read the article in this week's Take a Break magazine? It 'exposes' what WLS peeps are not told that apparently, addiction with food can be replaced by other addictions. The favourite being alcohol, so it seems.

This rang alarm bells with me.

I'd welcome any discussion on it.

I read it - and so did my partner - we both agreed that I would transfer my addiction to sex :) xx

Seriously though, it is worrying, but I try not to read into these articles too much - we have all, I'm sure, thought long and hard about going down the WLS route and all the other benefits it will bring - these stories are good to enlighten us on other people's experiences so we can look for the signs in ourselves and hopefully resolve it before it becomes a major issue - that's just my opinion anyway :) xx

I did read it, and found it extremely interesting, someone else has started a thread on it that quiet a few people have posted on :) xxxx

ive read it, and the addiction transfere from food to booze is a VERY common one, i know a few people that this has happened to after wls, i liked a few drinks before any of my surgeries, so im trying to control my alcohol intake now as that could easily become out of hand if i allowed it too, ive recently joined a gym and im hoping to become addicted to something more positive such as exercise and put those addictive tendancies into some thing good rather than something negitive, its about taking control and re directing that addictive nature in the right direction if that makes sense ?

Liz x

B&R hello, i hope you are well and had a good Christmas/New Year x

I too wondered about the addiction transfer, i had heard of it while researching. I do sometimes wonder (and please nobody on my fb friends list thing i'm talking about you personally) when going on my social network site and people are off for a glass of wine (or bottle as is sometimes the case), did they drink as often pre op as post op? Liz hit the nail on the head when she said she drinks the same amount now as she did pre op and is cognisant of addiction transfer and monitoring it..

I tell you what worries me as well about wls? The amount of people who end up with eating disorders? Anorexia after morbid obesity i find is a scary prospect. When people say to me they 'don't want to eat' it scares the hell out of me...

And people reckon it's easy? hmmph!!!!!!

I too wondered about the addiction transfer, i had heard of it while researching. I do sometimes wonder (and please nobody on my fb friends list thing i'm talking about you personally) when going on my social network site and people are off for a glass of wine (or bottle as is sometimes the case), did they drink as often pre op as post op?
some maybe did but i personally think the majority would of settled down in front of the tv with food and other snackable goodies pre op & post op a bottle of wine now i guess offers that same comfort zone as our "old friend" food used to do. The wine or what ever is chosen is a replacement. as i said earlier i was a drinker before i had wls, since bypass i have cut it down to a weekend only as i am fully aware i need to be in control now. I dont get drunk quicker or from less, and i can still consume what i used to previously say on a night out, everyone is different though.
Liz hit the nail on the head when she said she drinks the same amount now as she did pre op and is cognisant of addiction transfer and monitoring it..

its so easy for people with a addictive personality to transfere to something else, booze is worse than food really and can be a very dangerous road to go down as its a depressive too.

I tell you what worries me as well about wls? The amount of people who end up with eating disorders? Anorexia after morbid obesity i find is a scary prospect. When people say to me they 'don't want to eat' it scares the hell out of me...

i dont understand this either ive always felt hunger and i still enjoy my food just less of it, i guess it becomes a fear towards food and fear of the large person returning again, which is quite sad :sigh:

And people reckon it's easy? hmmph!!!!!!

Not its not easy at all no, to many people go into wls with out doing there home work on the subject properly.

Last edited:
Well, I can agree with what Liz has put and I have put threads on here in the past about this topic. I am one of those people........ I am now two years on with my band and although I have no regrets whatsoever, the addiction thing has taken hold BIG TIME over the last six months...... I have now resorted to one or two cigarettes a day after being a non smoker for 11 years, and I could really kick myself, not good I know, but I have always been convinced that some, not all, of us have more of an addictive nature than others.

Back