• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Take a Break mag

dani38

Just wondering if anyone had read the take a break mag this week. There is an article in it about two different women who have had a gastric bypass and both of them have gone on to become alcoholics and 1 self harms. They both say that the food addiction just becomes another type of addiction. Any thoughts any one??

addiction transfere from food to booze is a very common one unfortunatly :(

Really, scary. I haven't had a drink in 9 yrs cant imagine, although i do see food as an addiciton I can't control.

Doesnt mean we will all do it,up to us to find a way of coping with less food in our lives.

One of the ladies is a member of this forum, although not posting often nowadays. She has said on her fb page that the mag exaggerated and she is not an alcoholic, and she is very happy with her bypass... Unfortunately nice news doesn't sell nowadays...

Beware of addiction transfer, it is a big possibility x

I do tend to go 100% into things - hence why I'm overweight - but I don't drink at all, so I can't see alcohol being a problem with me but I'm hoping to channel my addiction into exercise. I used to go to a local gym, after work everyday for 2-3 hours, when I was married first time round but that may have been just to get away from horrible hubby ha !

They're not going to publish an artical that says that Bypass surgery is wonderful and life has improved are they? It wouldn't sell. I guess they have to find people who have found it traumatic and falling down. Even if they have to exagerate.

But surely if she was unsure about surgery she should have not gone for it.It sounds like she rushed into it with out seeking advice or coming onto a site like this to get help.I say it was not the surgery that caused her to drink but her own mind.
Hilary x

Sorry Hilary, you must have missed my post. One of the ladies is a well respected member of this forum and did do her research....

Unfortunately additction transfer wasn't as commonly talked about when she had her surgery as it is now. And even now not all wls people know about it. You'd be surprised how many people don't even know about 'stretches' or what their eating habits will be like post op!

Don't believe all you read is the theme for the day here....

I used to self harm during my twenties but haven't done it for a long time now, not since I finally found the right meds to stabilize me. But I know it's something I'm going to have to be aware of post op. In all honesty, I'd rather be a normal weight and occasionally succumb to mild self harm, than risk my life by being morbidly obese. That might sound weird to people who haven't self harmed before, but, although it is of course a negative coping method, it isn't as awful as people imagine it might be. I know I'll always be susceptible to doing it and of course I aim never to again, but it won't be the end of the world if I have an occasional lapse. Anyway, overeating until you're morbidly obese is just as much a form of self harm as cutting is.

bev gave me a copy of that mag the other night, and i intended to bring it up on here, ..... and forgot, oops, sorry bev. mind like sieve comes to mind, lol. i know that these mags exagerate and add to, a friend of mine lost loads and loads of weight at ww, and she was featured in the sunday people mag, it was a few years ago now, she went for the photo shoot, dressed really nice, and looked gorgeous, they re dressed her in a dowdy skirt and jumper, that made her look a lot bigger than she was, she was only about 21 at the time, and looked about 35, we were all so disappointed. so they only print what theyre gonna print, regardless of the truth.

I posted one from this mag a few weeks ago
take a brake seem to be hammering this WLS thing
they had a 44 stone owman on their with a child
before that sotries of the same thing as this weeks

A lot of these mags are doing it lately....they seem to jump on the bandwagon and when it drops from the news they will loose interest in WLS again! XX

I dont normally read these magazines but I brought this one especially to read the article. Yes, it was probably over emblished to sell more and to add to the shock factor. However, I personally believe that there is a great risk of turning from one addiction to another. I am 12 months post op and didnt drink for about 8 months post op and then only the odd one here and there. However, on two occasions in the past six weeks I drank far too much and both times it was because I was upset. In the past I would have binged on food at these times and I was disappointed to note how easy the wine went down and how much I enjoyed it at the time. However, drinking post op is very different in that I cannot drink most drinks except wine and baileys and both go straight to my head.

Dont get me wrong I am not drinking every week. For the first 8 months not a sip past my lips, for the next few months I probably had a total of two drinks and then recently I had two evenings were I drank far too much.

As I am aware of my addiction problems and how easily it would be for me to turn to the drink I have made a decision a week ago not to drink again. I dont need it, I dont actually enjoy it and it is not in keeping with me looking after my well being which is my main priority now.

On a more positive note my new addiction is yoga which I really recommend as a introduction back to excercise.

Turning back to the article, whilst it may have been over the top I believe that those with addictive natures should be careful post op as they may find themselves with new addictions.

Thank you so much emergingbutterfly for been so honest . IT'S Good to know all this pre op so we can go into it fully prepared. I am gonna sound really stupid now but someone mentioned streches, is that just meaning when you can strech yourpouch by eating more? THANk you everyone for all your comments x X

I read the article this morning, as I was intrigued to see who the 'well respected forum member' was, and I can't say I was surprised.

My opinion is probably going to be controversial, it normally is.

I've watched rachael's journey from the beginning, and it was obvious to many that she would have problems and needed psychological and emotional support. If you read the original and current Walsall massive thread, particularly her version of the psyche assessment, you'll see what I mean. Many members here tried to give her at least some support and offer advice, but it was generally ignored.

Now with regards to the general subject, it shows the importance of good psyche assessment and good long term aftercare. I believe all WLS patients should undergo a comprehensive psyche assessment and receive any treatment needed before having surgery. Even more so for private patients who often have a very short journey from thinking about surgery to going under the knife.

Anyone who goes into a psyche assessment with the mindset of being watchful what they say, concealing their past issues or depressions, and believing the psyche to be another pointless hoop to jump through are heading for trouble in the long term. Every time I see a 'what shall I say or not say to the psyche' thread my heart plummets.

Now I'm not saying that those without a psyche assessment are doomed to fail, or that private patients are all future crazies, just that many of these post op problems could be avoided so easily with the right support and treatment pre-op.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I read the article this morning, as I was intrigued to see who the 'well respected forum member' was, and I can't say I was surprised.

My opinion is probably going to be controversial, it normally is.

I've watched rachael's journey from the beginning, and it was obvious to many that she would have problems and needed psychological and emotional support. If you read the original and current Walsall massive thread, particularly her version of the psyche assessment, you'll see what I mean. Many members here tried to give her at least some support and offer advice, but it was generally ignored.

Now with regards to the general subject, it shows the importance of good psyche assessment and good long term aftercare. I believe all WLS patients should undergo a comprehensive psyche assessment and receive any treatment needed before having surgery. Even more so for private patients who often have a very short journey from thinking about surgery to going under the knife.

Anyone who goes into a psyche assessment with the mindset of being watchful what they say, concealing their past issues or depressions, and believing the psyche to be another pointless hoop to jump through are heading for trouble in the long term. Every time I see a 'what shall I say or not say to the psyche' thread my heart plummets.

Now I'm not saying that those without a psyche assessment are doomed to fail, or that private patients are all future crazies, just that many of these post op problems could be avoided so easily with the right support and treatment pre-op.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Well said. I totally believe the ones that are more successful with their weight loss journey are those are knew what they were getting into and were mentally prepared.

I havent read the article and I dont know who this person is either but I agree that being prepared mentally for surgery is vital.

Forewarned is forearmed with as much research into the advantages and potential pitfalls is just as vital.

Back