• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

MEDICATION

mouse57

Can anyone explain to me the taking of medication in hard form after a bypass. Now my medical understanding of the body is not that good but if as a by passer you have to eat slowly, sip drinks don't drink and eat at the same time then how do you manage to take hard tablets. If food takes about 20-30 mins to go down surely tablets will be dissolving on top of a very small whole and this would lead to erosion of that part of the body causing all sorts of problems. I read an article last year about a GP who took tablets without enough water and he had some serious problems with his throat all because he either took them without water or not enough, that's why instructions are with a glass of water. I was just wondering because it's a bit like the Ibrufen GPs don't seem to know and I don't want to be causing myself further harm all because I've been told I can now take tablets and medication does not have to be in liquid after all anyone ever got an antibiotic stuck not a nice taste but at least before you could just wash it down or eat something nice tasting to get rid of the taste. Any thoughts on this :)

I can only speak for myself but ive taken my med as normal, meaning just a gulp of water to helpit go down others ive been able to chew but not really liking this as it leaves a bitter taste that makes you want to have a drink!
Hope others can help more

I spoke to a pharmacist today and they told me that it depends on the size and kind of tablet because they all disperse differently plus some shouldn't be chewed or crushed. But she did say don't stop asking the question because it's you that has to take it and GPs don't know it all so we will go on learning :)

Back