• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Taking tablets after bypass

gillabean

Really living now!
Somebody said something on a discussion recently about not being able to take tablets after surgery. I was wondering about that, normally tablets stay in your stomach until they are dissolved enough to go through the rest of your body. After the bypass, we won't have proper stomachs so what happens then. Can we take tablets?

Thanks Gaelic Girl, I'd better make an appointment with my doctor to get my medications changed to dissolvable. It's this kind of thing that makes this site so great, thanks again.

Some tablets can only be got in tablet form, the pharmacist in the hospital told me to get a small pestle and mortar and crush them into a powder and add a mouthful of water and take them that way. I did not have any problems at all.

The Pharmacist at the Hospital will check you medicines before you leave for better options than you already have, so no real need to go and see your Doctor beforehand, and if the do change them they will send you out with a letter to give to you Doctor telling him.

I used a pill crusher for the first month. There are certain types of tablets you can't take post-bypass such as Ibuprofen and Aspirin.

Sorry I'm a bander so can't really help with bypass questions but what I will add is that if you need liquid form meds then see your gp before your op to discuss which of your meds can be done in liquid or crushable for. I had most of mine in liquid and those that were'nt available in liquid I had to crush and put in a little water to swallow.
Good luckxx

I was given my meds in liquid form or dissolvable when I left the hospital, enough to last for 2 weeks except for my blood pressure pill. I crushed it with the back of a spoon and added it to a small spoon of yogurt, had no problems. After 2 weeks (my liquid stage was 2 weeks) I was able to start taking my meds in pill form without problem. I would imagine that however long your liquid stage is would dictate how long you would need liquid/dissolving meds. And as stated you should avoid any anti-inflamitory meds like ibuprohen as a bypass post-op.

Nic:D

Thanks to everyone for these replies. It's really useful to know. Do I have to stop anti-inflamatory meds for ever? I use Tramadol for arthritic pain and they really help.

I take the co codamol effervescent for back pain, I have trouble swallowing pills, can they give me this intraveneously? Will I be able to take them post op?

Thanks to everyone for these replies. It's really useful to know. Do I have to stop anti-inflamatory meds for ever? I use Tramadol for arthritic pain and they really help.

I was on Tramadol drip in Hospital, so I would assume that it would be ok, it depends on is you can have it as a effrevescent, or you may be able to crush them. I like Tyraboots take the co codamol effrevescent, I found it actually better and faster working than tramadol.

I was told I needed to be on liquid tablets but thst was after I had been told by the nurse to take my medication which I had already taken with no problems so I just carried on with no problems at all. When you get the forceval I reckon if you can swallow those, you can swallow anything as they are like horse tablets!

Back