• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass VS gastric band????

uglyduck16

Hi Everyone!

I went to see my GP the other day and she agreed to refer me for weight loss surgery.
I am not sure how long it is going to take before i see somebody. We asked if we could be referred privately to hurry things up, and then get back into the NHS, but unfortunately, they only see people on the NHS. So i am not sure how long it is going to take before i see someone.

What happens on the appointment?? How did you convince them that you met the criteria and where suitable?? I think i meet the critera- morbidly obese, problems walking, short of breath, pains, etc. I have a connective tissue disorder and need to keep my muscles strong- so loosing weight will help put less strain and pressure on my joints and i want to be healthier - i am 21, so i think if i get my weight problem sorted out now, it will help me later in life.

I have been doing a lot of googling on the net and been reading about gastric banding and gastric bypass.
Which has the biggest success in the long run? From what i gather, the bypass is a more complicated,riskier operation- but does it have better results?? or not?? What is the difference in the body sensations that you experience after the operation?? When you eat does it make you feel full up?? How much weight do you loose and how quickly??? And has anyone been able to maintain their weight loss??
I am sorry if i am asking too many questions, i am just wondering which operation is the best one to go for?! Do we get any choice anyway?!
Anyway, it would rock to hear from people who have had the operations done/in the process/etc.!!

Thank you for reading (if you have got this far!!)

Lizzie

Hi and welcome to minis, I have not yet had surgery but when I first saw the consultant I wanted a band, after speaking to him and reading up on the two different options on here I was leaning more towards the bypass. I saw Mr Ammori the surgeon and he agreed due to my eating habits (a snacker) that bypass would be better for me. He did tell me that both surgeries take about an hour and 15 minutes to complete. Hope this helps. xx

Oh forgot to say, each PCT sets its own criteria there is a BOSPA list that you can check what the criteria is in the area that you come under, shel will point you in the right direction for the list as unfortunately I cant find it any more...xx

your surgeon wil talk thru the different options i was given the choice of what i wanted you loose weight alot quicker with bypass but it is more serious an op the band is easier to cheat on and takes alot longer to loose with as once it on it takes a few months to get the restriction right i went with band because i coujldnt face the bypass alot may depend on your bmi,
i had funding befor i saw consultant so it wasnt a question of weather he would do it itwas more a formality but every area is different read up on both see which feels like it will be right for you and then discuss with surgeon , mine really pushed for bypass buti explained it wasnt right for me and he was happy to band me

Hi,

Like Serenity has said, your surgeon will discuss with you what he/she thinks will be the best option for you.

A brief outline of each surgery!:

The bypass does come with more risks, but it is said to have better results. With the bypass your anatomy is changed, and it is major surgery. Your stomach will be made to roughly a size of an egg and a certain amount of small intestine is bypassed and attached to your "pouch". I had 1.3 metres of intestine bypassed. Your normal stomach is left in there and will still produce juices. This means there is restriction in the amount you can eat and also malabsorption..you will not absorb all the fat and calories form your food. BUT this also means you will not absorb all the vitamins and minerals either. You will need to take supplements for the rest of your life to keep you healthy! Very important. Oh and then there is dumping syndrome. This can happen when you eat too much sugar or fat. Can cause you to feel ill for up to an hour with nausea, vomitting, the poos! Fast heart rate, feeling faint...all horrible things. So a low fat and low sugar diet is quite essential after this surgery. I personally cannot tolerate dairy very well either. This can be a commmon side effect too. It should go in the near future, but may not!

With the band, you get restriction only, but this can take a couple of fills to get the restriction that is right for you! No change in anatomy, so less risky. But all surgery carries risks, no matter how small! More will power is required by banders, as you can still get foods with high sugar and fat content down if you really wanted! But excellent results are achieved...there are many people here who are doing fantastically with their bands. The band is also a lot easier to reverse than the bypass also, if it ever came to it!

With both surgeries you will feel full quickly. At the end of the day it is a personal decision, and it is important to weigh up the pros and cons of either surgery. Either surgery is a huge commitment! Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep us posted!

Sorry I cant help with the NHS process, I was private. But there are plenty of people that can help you with that, and share their experiences.

Best wishes,

Kel xxx

Hi Duck, welcome to Mini's :)

Each surgery has its advantages and disadvantages, and the best way to decide which is best for you is to firstly research like crazy, and secondly be honest and discuss your eating habits with your surgeon.

The NHS process varies hugely from PCT to PCT, if you have a look at BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association you should find the PCT requirements for your area.

One reason people who meet the criteria can be refused is if the PCT has run out of money! In which case you'd need to reapply at the beginning of the next financial year. I've only heard of that happen a few times though!

Be prepared for the emotional rollercoaster, having sites like this one helps as you'll get a lot of support here and be able to see peoples stories at all stages.

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say thank you for all your replies :)

Lizzie

your surgeon wil talk thru the different options i was given the choice of what i wanted you loose weight alot quicker with bypass but it is more serious an op the band is easier to cheat on and takes alot longer to loose with as once it on it takes a few months to get the restriction right i went with band because i coujldnt face the bypass alot may depend on your bmi,
i had funding befor i saw consultant so it wasnt a question of weather he would do it itwas more a formality but every area is different read up on both see which feels like it will be right for you and then discuss with surgeon , mine really pushed for bypass buti explained it wasnt right for me and he was happy to band me

Hiya I'm new here. how long ago did u have the band? I'm 2 days post op. have you got any helpful tips for me? R

Back