• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Talk about a rip off!!

Beth72

Grrr, come to vent my disgust I'm afraid & to see what others thought! I had a private consultation at Spire Leeds last week which I was aware was gong to cost £200. I also had to leave card details for any tests such as bloods or X-rays etc, which I thought was fair enough & would be informed if any needed (got a price list too).

Just walked through door & cannot believe my eyes!!! Had an invoice from the hospital charging me £5.36 for height & weight measurement!!!! Nowhere on the price list does it say about a charge for stepping on a pair of scales & I wasn't informed there'd be a charge for something so ridiculous that I could have told them myself!!

What should I do? I'm tempted to call & say I'm refusing to pay as wasn't informed & it isn't even a test! Making me have 2nd thoughts about using that hospital incase I get charged for the oxygen I'm breathing, as well as an already expensive procedure!! X

Blimey!

I don't know what to say really, its a bit harsh charging for the consultation, tests etc - usually they would all be included.

Definitely call them and question it and say you are unhappy to pay it as you were not made aware there would be any additional costs to pay and that the "consultation" was inclusive. That's what I would do... x x

Thanks - calmed down now lol. Called them & they're going to amend my account so it doesn't include that! It's depressing enough going on the scales, without a bill to tell me how fat I am ;-) x

before I started my journey I had a private appointment with Spire in Harpenden, I paid £150 for that (which was money very well spent, I had an hour with my surgeon, who eventually operated on me NHS,) He talked me through all the proceedures and I came away with loads of info and hs advice to try NHS again!!

I even had a free consultation with the dietician, but I was not charged for getting on the scale, bloody rip off!!!!

I would also have been very annoyed at being charged that much to stand on some scales!!!

Glad you're sorted. Your story reminds me of a joke (or was it a real story?) I read on facebook about an elderly couple who were charged £350 for a night in a hotel, which they thought was excessive so the old woman queried it.

"We have an Olympic sized swimming pool and a gym," the manager explained.

"But I didn't use it," the woman replied.

"No, but you could have," the manager said. "Also we have very expensive spa treatments included in the price."

"I had no spa treatments," the old woman said.

"No, but you could have," the manager said, and went on to list various other inclusive luxuries the hotel offered but the old couple didn't use.

Finally the old woman handed over a cheque for £50.

"What's this?" the manager asked, looking at the cheque.

"I have deducted £300 which is my charge for having sex with me," the old woman explained.

"I didn't have sex with you!" exclaimed the horrified manager.

"No, but you could have!" smiled the old woman as the couple walked out.

that made me giggle Ruthie, glad you got it sorted what a joke...........

i'd go elsewhere, bloody cheek!! you dont know what charges will come up in the future!

Funny joke Ruthie! Yeah I was thinking of going to the Nuffield over the Spire anyway, esp as same surgeon does private work at both, plus the sleeve is cheaper there. God knows where the 36p came from too - what a bizarre amount, £5.36!! And here was me thinking Boots scales were a rip off at 20p a time (well they were the last time I dared to go on them!!)

Boots scales were a rip off at 20p a time (well they were the last time I dared to go on them!!)

Now a minimum of 50p for weight only, 70p if you want your body fat analysed as well.

50p a week to weigh -- what a rip off (LOL) -- ha ha -- ten times cheaper than attending a diet club or getting weighed at Spire Leeds !!!! :D :D

Back