• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Talk to me about stalling....

NT1977

I haven't lost weight for two weeks now, not one ounce. No I haven't gained any either but I am a bit disapointed in this. It is not time of the month or anything like that and I am not eating more than normal (although I am going back to logging to make sure this is accurate).

I am still finding my band can be tighter on some days and therefore I have been sick probably twice a week since my last fill, nothing major but it is still blocking.

Could this be a sign it is too tight? my normal daily menu is this:

2 weetabix and a coffee
4 crackers with hummus
2 yogurts
child dinner plate with fish and vegetables or stew or soup

i do exercise every other day - cardio and weights

Any thoughts? I have a dieticiens appointment next week and will talk to her too but just wondered if any of you had experianced the same. Am I eating too much or too little by comparison to you?

any help appreciated

Hi Nina,

I wouldn't say that the band is too tight if for the majority of the time the food and water that you take on board goes down normally. The fact that there has been a couple of occasions that you have been sick are more likely to be that you've - eaten too quickly - taken too big a mouthful - haven't chewed small enough - haven't waited long enough between mouthfuls - eaten a food that potentially you can no longer tolerate. Often it is a mixture of those things and after a fill, it can take a while to get used to the adjustment so that you have to slow down.

If it was overtight you would find that you wouldn't be able to eat, or ultimately possibly even drink. When I had my 1ml to take me to 12mls, and I was over restricted, the only thing that would go down would be ryvita and as long as it had lots of butter on it. But to the end of struggling after trying several weeks on more or less liquids with an occasional attempt at mush/puree I couldn't even drink. The swelling of the stomach was made worse by the fact that I would be gagging and heaving on water even. As such, it swells, the band gets tighter and it gets worse.

Stalls are normal, whatever weight loss program, diet or surgery you've had or following, it could be that you're simply not eating enough. This may sound strange but we have to be taking on enough food for the metabolism to kick in which will then lead to the weight loss - you may also see something referred to as "starvation mode". This is often seen when you aren't taking on enough calories to sustain your body, as such, any food that you do take on board the body will hold onto it for dear life.

Looking at the foods that you have - try changing around what you eat, focus on protein, reduce carbs, drink plenty of water. Maybe try something more substantial for breakfast, something that may keep your hunger at bay, but also keep you fuller for longer. To be honest, it doesn't seem that you're eating enough - if you've been logging recently, do you know how much you're eating calorie wise? protein wise?

Avoid slider foods if you can yoghurts, , things with sauces, gravies, soups etc are all slider foods and will pass through more quickly, but also wont keep you feeling satisfied for as long, it is then that we find with the hunger we then tend to eat more or "graze". A suggested meal size that my own provider is a side plate with 50% protein, 40% salad/veg and 10% carbs, but based on a portion size of around 6 tablespoons.

You could try following the 70/70 set up, of limiting yourself to a maximum of 70g carbs but eating a minimum of 70g protein a day. I have followed that for the first 14 months since my surgery and there are other long term banders who have done this also and have seen good losses. Even then however, we've all had stalls and ups and downs - its a natural thing. At one point I had a minimum 90g protein.

Protein is filling, it helps with the metabolism and weight loss too, so that is one of the reasons that they suggest to have it as a focus.

You could look at following something such as weightwatchers or slimming world, both work in terms of foods and portions - but these things often shake the body up and when the body gets used to eating similar things then the metabolism gets sluggish and needs a good kick up the bum!

I'm now 15 months out, and still trying to find restriction from and with my band. Hunger and hunger feelings are something that for me, my band has not taken away in any shape or form. However, I've changed over from the extreme focus on protein to a more balanced plan. I'm following a similar set up to WW and I am feeling better for that more balanced approach. However I know that in a couple of months, the weight loss will stall again and I will go back to doing something different.

If you use myfitnesspal its great for food logging, and great if you use it to follow the 70/70 but also be aware that it can take a good 3-4 weeks of following something new to start to see the results, so its worth sticking at the changes for a while and seeing how you get on.

Also, it may take you time to find out what you need to be eating. I don't know if you or your provider suggests calorie limits. My own suggested 1000 cals, but for me to lose that wasn't enough. So I actually found that 1100 cals was where my optimum losses have come from and even though I've changed eating plan from the 70/70 to a similar thing to WW I am still on around 1100 cals a day, but eating a very balanced daily batch of food, for me while I find restriction I am finding that this helps too as I am eating foods that are more filling and yet healthy, I still eat the same portion sizes that I need for the band, but so far I've lost almost 7lbs on this plan in just over 2 weeks.

Exercise is great, walking is brilliant for helping to get things shifting as well - if you can set yourself a target, even start small, pick up a pedometer and increase those daily steps. I walk a minimum of 10,000 steps a day (about 5 miles) and set myself a target for November for 300,000 steps, I am actually on track to do 360,000 steps for the month, but I've found that as an additional exercise to the gym and to running that it helps in a way to further boost that metabolism and is great for toning!

Lots of fluid along with it, lots of water and just try different things - its worth upping the calories a bit to find a level when the weight loss kicks in for you.

Do you find you're hungry between meals? When you've eaten how long does it take you to then feel hungry? All of these things would suggest with regards to fills, but what you seriously do not want is over restriction, because the month I had mine was just simply awful and at the end before my defill I couldn't even swallow my own saliva!

Ugh! lol

Good advice Top Kat, thansk for replying.

I do not feel hungry in the slightest, not even after I have been working out. I could literally go all day ando not eat if I chose too, which is why I tend to stick to the same selection of foods I think.

I am going to sit down tonight and plan our shopping for next week and I am going to try increasing the protein I have to see if that helps. I will also track on MFP again, I think on average I am having about 1000 calories a day. With the exercise I do and my daily movement (I wear a fitbit) this can often leave me with an undereat of around 2000 calories, maybe I should try and up my calories slightly by 100 and see how this helps?

I struggle with breakfast, most things get stuck before 11am and I am up at 5 or 6am. I have thought about not having breakfast or just having a drink of some sort but I have it in my head that this is not a healthy thing to do. I could change it up a bit and have a banana smoothie for breakfast which would add fruit and protein from the milk.

Food for thought, I will try the upping the protein and keeping my carbs under 70g, plus up my calories slightly and see if that helps for a few weeks.

I have nothing against the common diets that there are out there and could follow the principles but so far I have not once felt that I was on a "diet" which is why I feel I have been successful, I mental switch I know but a very real one to me. I feel like I have to make different choices now as I am more aware of what is healthy and what my body will process, therefore it is common sense not to eat the bad food/food that will get stuck.

I have nothing against the common diets that there are out there and could follow the principles but so far I have not once felt that I was on a "diet" which is why I feel I have been successful, I mental switch I know but a very real one to me. I feel like I have to make different choices now as I am more aware of what is healthy and what my body will process, therefore it is common sense not to eat the bad food/food that will get stuck.

^^^ this is why I have gone on to a similar type of counting as WW and having a complete balanced day in terms of food, Im having porridge and vegetables, fruit, dairy, cheese, a real balance which I think is very important too, so I hear you on that one!

If you can swap your foods around, be adventurous with what you're eating - another reason I'm enjoying what I've done over the past couple of weeks. I've had some really creative but quick meals and its nice having that variety. Plus, I'm losing similarly to how I was so if I can have a balance of foods etc and still lose then Im happy.

It is about finding what works for us, but definitely try different things and if they don't work introduce something different. I still average around 1100 cals at the moment but I no longer count carbs and I no longer count protein grams either . . .Im finding health wise, but also contented wise, I feel much better currently than I have for a while, which while battling for restriction is a bonus.

I am jealous of you not feeling hungry and that you could even forget to eat - I've not had that feeling in all of the time I've had my band :( lol

It just shows you how different we all are doesn't it, there is no magic and to wave or "cure all" situation that some people like to think there is. Each body needs are different, we just have to learn how to tune into ours properly.

The next step for me - mix it up and get out if the comfort zone!!

I haven't lost weight for two weeks now, not one ounce. No I haven't gained any either but I am a bit disapointed in this. It is not time of the month or anything like that and I am not eating more than normal (although I am going back to logging to make sure this is accurate).

I am still finding my band can be tighter on some days and therefore I have been sick probably twice a week since my last fill, nothing major but it is still blocking.

Could this be a sign it is too tight? my normal daily menu is this:

2 weetabix and a coffee
4 crackers with hummus
2 yogurts
child dinner plate with fish and vegetables or stew or soup

i do exercise every other day - cardio and weights

Any thoughts? I have a dieticiens appointment next week and will talk to her too but just wondered if any of you had experianced the same. Am I eating too much or too little by comparison to you?

any help appreciated

Hi
I have my dietician appointment next week too and was wondering is your Wednesday by any chance
I know you said we have the same provider and wondered if we would bump into one another :)

Hi Val. This one is just on the phone as I definitely don't need a fill. X

Ohhhh I see :)

Back