• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

mmm whats happening?

Hi i lost 20lb in two weeks then put 4lb on and have not lost a thing in five days, and today i feel so low i'm scared to eat in case i put more on. (please do not tell me not to jump on the scales each morning ). so you not alone.xx

Just out of surgery it is perfectly normal for stalls etc as your body struggles to cope with the trauma of surgery/pre op diets and post op slushies etc.

Don't worry about weight loss until you are well past the recovery stage at least.
When you have your first fill is more the time to think about weight loss

totally agree with neen wait until you start having fills to worry about losing weight. i totally thought i would start losing straight away especially being on fluids and mash but nope i didn't even really start to lose anything substantial after my first fill. i went for about 6 weeks without a loss but stick to your guidelines and diet and it will start to come off:)

What i have found that works is eating a high protein low carb low fat diet and always eat off a side plate. i log my food diary on my fitness pal and this tells me how many cals carbs fat and protein i am meant to have in a day. so i always make sure i am under on carbs and fat and over on protein everyday. and i try to average a 1000 cals a day. why not try logging your food on my fitness pal?? you will find what works for you i am sure its alot of trial and error to start with xx

These posts never cease to make me laugh lol....

What on earth makes you think you'll lose weight in three days? Firstly you've had a weight loss surgery, it's not a miracle surgery, you still have to work at it and your body knows food supply is in short demand and is storing onto its reserves. Your bodies are still recovering and you've had no fill in your bands....

Follow Neen's guidelines and you'll do just fine :) xx

WOW i had no idea that the weight loss actually kicks in after ur first fill! i was told by my provider that those ppl that do the best during op to first fill do best overall! i have stalled this week and thought...arrgh...i know i will have stalls but wasnt aware that the weight loss actually kicks in post fill!!

i had gastric bypass 3wks ago and ive gained to 3lb but im sure it will come off in the end ........... i must agree u cant help but worry lol

Before the first fill it is common to have to rely on willpower as you can find that your portion sizes can start to creep up once your swelling subsides and appetite returns. This isn't the case for everyone, but it happened to me and I was so glad that I'd read it on here as I was forewarned so didn't panic. Hope this helps xx

WOW i had no idea that the weight loss actually kicks in after ur first fill! i was told by my provider that those ppl that do the best during op to first fill do best overall! i have stalled this week and thought...arrgh...i know i will have stalls but wasnt aware that the weight loss actually kicks in post fill!!

I just replied on your thread but your provider could be right. That was certainly the case for me anyway. My weight loss post op to first fill was high, I lost about a third of my target weight loss.

Unfortunatly this isnt the case for everyone or by any means the norm - everyone is different x x

i am 8 days post op and will be weighed "officially" in 2 days. i know i have lost some weight but i also know that we need to be patient. dont panic if your at a stand still. however i too weigh myself everyone morning and i know my scales arent accurate so I will go to Boots every saturday for an accurate reading.... u should think about doing the same. It isnt helping, that you are weighing yourself every morning...... why dont we both decide not to weigh ourselves tomorrow........i promise i wont get on the scales :)

Isn't it daft Maura that we are all told not to weigh on a daily basis and I am sure that mentally it is probably an unsatisfactory thing to do, but and its a BIG but........the only thing that I want to know each day is that I am doing well and losing the weight.
I saw my surgeon tonight who "told me off" and said that a weigh in once a month is sufficient. I explained to him that even if a UFO landed in my garden tomorrow morning, I would still need to weigh myself before going out to take a look!
I dont mean to sound flippant as I know that daily weighing should be discouraged but its hard.
x

I agree it is really difficult not to weigh yourself
I have always done this as about 18 month ago I hit what I would term as my crisis weight that was the impedus for me to seek WLS, from that date I have weighed myself everyday as I was heading to 17 stone
I never got to 17 stone and I believe it was because I kept an eye on my weight hence the weighing every day
Hope this helps people understand
xx

Why not once a week then? That's keeping an eye on it without it becomming an obsession.
We are all (most of us anyway) in this state where we have had to have surgery because of an unhealthy obsession/ unnatural relationship with food.
We have to break that behaviour or it will mean we're never going to be happy with ourselves (eg always worrying about weight even after losing the excess)
I don't want people panicking whilst their bodies are in recovery which was my main point!!
Also it depends on so many variables, some of us banders are heavier at the beginning (not many of course) so how can we lose the majority of our weight before a fill?
Also some of us have providers that only put in a tiny amount for the first few fills...not making much difference at all to our feelings of fullness, so again, how can we generalise it at all?

However interested we are in how much weight we think we should be losing in the first year, we have to look at the overall picture. I want my weight off asap but it doesn't always work that way and I think I would rather ensure I don't regain any as well as permanently losing the rest over the next couple years.
Not sure if that helps or not but we do understand about weight being a worry and every single one of us is going to lose weight differently because we're all unique.

Back