• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question about feeling full

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
I had my fill last tuesday my first fill.
I am really worried that i dont know the difference between food getting stuck and feeling full.
I eat something and I can get a pain in my chest but i cant be full as it is the smallest amount, then a second later its fine and i can eat again so i am guessing I am eating too fast or not chewing enough.
I can also pretty much eat anything which is also a worry.
I think I need to get a food book designed for banders to give me better ideas, I seem to be eating less than before banding but still quite a big portion compared with what i have read on her i.e. ice cube tray size etc... I am eating a childs size portion but probably an older child !!!
Does anyone know a good book or how much is enough to eat.
Just dont want to have gone through all this to blow it.
x

I'm so glad you're here to ask all these questions, I'm a few weeks behind you. I have just had a 2 egg omelette and a small pot of jelly for tea and have this little pain in my chest, a bit like stitch,do you get that?

I am still learning too.

So far I have noticed a stitch like pain when I have eaten something too quickly and today for the first time I actually brought my breakfast up. It was only a couple of teaspoons of egg omelette but I obviously ate it too quickly. It felt like really bad indigestion at first and I could feel it sitting in my chest. I then got a very watery mouth and up it came!

When I feel full it is different. It feels like a tightness across the top of my stomach (just below my boobs). It sort of feels like the muscles going tight - a bit like when you have those little braxton hicks contractions when you are pregnant! Am I making sense? lol

I am eating very small amounts - e.g about a ramekin full of porridge, half a mug of soup. I think I am so paranoid of doing something wrong that I am probably not eating to restriction.

Hopefully one of the more experienced banders can point us in the right direction :)

Hi
Thanks for your replies, well I have just made tea
pork chop, mash, cauli brocolli cabagge and carrots. I managed 1/4 of the chop cut very small, and half of everything else and then felt that tight pain yes braxton hick but i get it higher up like in between my boobs.
just not sure if it is full up pain or eaten too quick pain.
I just thought i would be eating much much less.
x

Hi there...

What you are feeling is restriction.

That tight feeling on the way down is food passing through the opening of the band into your stomach. You are meant to feel this. It's the signal that it's working properly and you have restriction (albiet maybe not 100 percent right yet)

What your eating sounds fine.

LBD, sounds like you might be eating too little there.

You should aim to consume about 1200 calories a day.

As for portion size, this varies too much between each person. Only you know what is the right amount for you. No book will ever tell you that.

But simply put, a dinner plate could contain size wise:-

1 small chicken breast (no sauces)
Tablespoon of vegetables.
1 small potato dry roasted (no oil, just herbs and a bit of garlic is nice)

Eat the protein first then veg, if you still have room, eat the potatoes.

I hope this helps :)

this feeling is the restriction feeling we have to learn to listen to it and stop eating as soon as you feel this as pushing a extra mouth full or 2 in can cause vomiting, once banders have learned to deal with this and can cope with this after different types of foods then it gets easier, banding is a learning curve and things get easier when we learn how to deal with restriction, eating slower and chewing properly can avoid the pain as well as it can be caused by this also x

OMG
I am having about 3 tablespoons of veg and about the same of mash potato with a small amount of chicken or meat.
I am going to try much harder tomorrow
That feeling is so easy to ignor and just eat an extra few spoons, I need to learn to stop maybe if I threw up it woudl teach me a lesson but I dont, I just hope I havnt stretched the band or anything like that.
thanks x

You don't want to throw up, that is not good for the band...

You will get there, having a band is a massive learning curve :)

I'm almost 8 months post op and finally learning that it's best to stop when you get that feeling!! I think that not only am I a slow loser I'm also a slow learner! However I am getting there. So good luck to fbn4e & lbd.

I think its the slow bit that is driving me mad and teh fact that all i think about is food, I remember Carole saying she felt like a switch had been flicked in her head and that she hadnt really had a bypass and I just wish I felt the same.

I have just been looking at my notes from when i saw Mr Ammori in Auguest for his decision and I am only 5 lb lighter than then !!! I had put around a stone on so I have lost 19lb ish BUT thats not what he will want Nor me.
I just wish I knew if I was doing this right. you say your a slow loser but thats still 1lb a week on average.
I just hope this slow loss means no saggy skin.
xxx

I know how you feel, I feel like nothing has been done, no pain no restriction, still on liquids but now weight loss seems to have stalled, although I realise im at the healing stage now as its only three weeks since op, I too am waiting for the "oh my god I've got a band" moment.
had the drain gurgling for a week or so then everything went back to normal, really surprised it wasnt more painful, just call me lucky I guess....
roll on the 13th march for my first appointment and fill I hope.......

Bully how are you doing still in liquids, I had to add the odd mashed potato or somthing in just to break up the soup soup soup meal thing. Meatballs were also fab.
I am now pretty much eating normal food albeit much less but still can handle bread etc.. only had 2ml put in band though so I think I must need more although I can feel restriction (I think) It is all so new that I am pretty much learning every day.
Anyone that says this is an easy option must be crazy.
x

Thanks to all of you that have written in its so helpful , i thought i'd lost the plot , as i feel exactly the same as before no pain no restriction nothing , even the scars are nearly gone 2wks in ! its great to have so many experienced people here to help out when we fall off the rails or go into panic mode. x

Last edited:
Bully how are you doing still in liquids, I had to add the odd mashed potato or somthing in just to break up the soup soup soup meal thing. Meatballs were also fab.
I am now pretty much eating normal food albeit much less but still can handle bread etc.. only had 2ml put in band though so I think I must need more although I can feel restriction (I think) It is all so new that I am pretty much learning every day.
Anyone that says this is an easy option must be crazy.
x

its only 3 weeks this coming thursday, really really cheesed off with liquids now, can start on sloppy stuff next thursday as I was told a month post op and guess I had better do as told.
although I can drink freely, scars all healed on the outside, and the blocked drain feeling has gone.
got an appointment on the 13th not sure if this is for a fill or not though just told to attend at 3pm.... but this is just over 6 weeks post op so I hope it is for a fill as I have said in other posts nothing has changed and the weight loss has slowed right down now I am eating soups and lots of fluids (11 lbs since 28th jan )
Oh well plod on I guess...... :sigh:
Actually typing that made me realised I'm feeling a bit down :(

Thanks LBD

Bully - dont feel down and if you are look at your weight loss you have done ****ing brilliant.
11kb since 28th jan - you do realise we are only in Feb dont you, you nutter.
hey get your head from up your arse and remember how fab you have done and are going to do, this band is a tool not a miracle we just need to remember that and like LBD has just said the weight wont come off straight away and if some does then hey it s a bonus we are in this for life so hey we've got plenty of time.
x
chin up mate

Back