• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work for surgery

Hello everyone

I am having some trouble working out how to manage my work situation.

I have my dates through now for my pre op and my op and was planning on arranging the time off with my manager today. The problem I have is that the letter inviting my to be admitted as an inpatient just says the date I have to go in (which happens to be a Sunday) and not how long I will be in so it doesn't document that I will need time off.

Also is the time off going to be sick leaving in which case I don't need to book it in advance?

I am not telling people at work what the operation I am having is so I have not mentioned it yet to anyone.

I just wondered if people had any similar experience?

All hospitals differ with regards to your stay as an inpatient - give them a ring and see what their minimum stay is. Also, if you have any complications you could be in longer.

You will be able to take the time as sick and you will probably be of work a minimum of 2 weeks while you recover. I keep stating minimums because we are all different, have different recovery rates & it also depends of if you have any issues after the op and how hands on your job is.

I'm office based with no lifting etc. but did get an infection and was off for 5 weeks even though I was just expecting to be off for 2. Best laid plans and all that!

Hi Sinead,

Yes this should be classed as sick leave and either the hospital or the GP will provide you with a sick note (or fit note as they are now called) which details how long you should remain off work.

I think most people have between 4-6 weeks off work, but it will depend on your own recovery, any complications and the kind of job you do. Take advice from your own Dr with regards to when you should return to work.

Hi,

I booked 2 weeks off work which is what my surgeon advised I'd need. I said it was abdominal surgery for an ulser problems I'd had for a while. The surgeon gave me a sick note for the 2 weeks. They'd give you longer than that though if you needed it. If you're not telling work might be better to book it as holiday unless you ask for the sick note to be vague as to why they've signed you off?

I was told i needed 2-4 weeks off, so have booked 2 weeks holiday as i have not told anybody at work. However, i only work 3 days a week and i'm sat at a desk all day, so if your job is more demanding i think it would be best to be prepared to take longer.

I think as others have said it depends if you have any complications during or after the op, but i must say i was discharged from hospital yesterday & felt i could have gone to work today!

I had 2 weeks off, including the 3 days in Hospital, but I have a sit down non physical job. if my job was more physical, I'd have probably gone for 3/4 weeks off to be safe.

both me and my friend had the same op but a few weeks apart . im went back after 4 weeks and she's now not going to be back after the summer hols r over we work in a creche. it all depends on how the op goes and how well u heel. 4 days after surgery i was doing the weekly shop around the supermarket.

everyone is different, i found it very hard to get around after surgery, was nearly 2 weeks before i was out and about then i was only going out with my bf or my dad as i was still feelin faint and dizzy, i work in a factory and its very demandin so i had 4 weeks off, when i told my boss i gave her the letter sayin when my op is and told her i would be off at least 4 weeks, i told her i need a long private chat with her and when we did i told her everythin and said u can ring the team at the hospital i went in with number etc....

Hi,
I only stayed in hospital for one night and have been feeling much better than I iamgined I would. I would say in my experience its more the lack of calories making you feel weak and tired than pain from the op.
I rang my doctor for a sick note and she signed me off for 6 weeks. I work in a nursery.
Good luck with everything x

I was in hospital 2 nights but that was only cause my journey was a round trip of 440 miles! I was off work for 8 weeks as i manage a childrens home working with complex and challenging teenagers and face the risk of daily assaults! I told everyone and anyone who would listen about my surgery so i was a bit different as my employer knew when i was going off and knew i would be off for approx 6 weeks xx

I was off for 4 weeks in total, I did originally only book 2 weeks off of work, stupidly thinking I'd be fine after the 2 weeks to go back - it would of been much too soon, I was still in alot pain.

Just say its gastic surgery - that covers a number of things.

I had 10 weeks of on the sick and my dr thought it was still to soon to go back work

I'm office based secretary/pa and i told my boss not very long after i started last August i was having a bypass and would be off sick for what they reckon would be 4 weeks. However at my pre op the nurse reckoned it would be 6 weeks (after she established i would get full sick pay of course :) ), i haven't mentioned that bit to my boss...

If i was you and your manager will respect your privacy and dignity then tell them what exactly you are going in for and that you have an admittance letter for the hospital and you are expecting 'x' amount of weeks off sick. You will of course keep him up to date on your health and possible return or lack of return to work... Alternatively if you don't want to share your business they will just put gastric/abdominal surgery, you don't have to go into specifics, if they quiz you just tell them it's personal....

All the best xx

Thanks guys.

My worry isn't about how long I need off, my team have advised 6 weeks minimum and I know that it is variable based on my recovery.

My worries are around how to arrange for it off with my manager as I don't have a letter advising of the time I need off as an inpatient. Obviously once I am in recovery I will need a sick note but they don't need providing in advance.

I think what Julie has said is the best route for me; I will say I am expecting to be off 7 weeks (including the week in hospital) and that I will keep her informed. I will be telling her I am having an operation but not anything more specific. I have had serious issues with her lack of respect for confidentiality in the past so I am just going to remove the risk of a leak!

Cheers again

I've had absolutely no advice on how much time to take off work. I told my boss I was having a bypass and that I expected to be off for at least 3 weeks, including the hospital stay. However, a colleague had day surgery for a hernia the week before I went in and he's having 3 weeks off, so I reckon I need at least that ! I rang the surgery this morning - couldn't get to see my GP :mad::mad: but they'll get her to sign a certificate for me which I can pick up later. They just asked me how long did I want off ! How do I know ?! It's one thing feeling OK not doing much at home but quite another coping with the daily commute and all the responsibilities of work, even if it is office bound.

Last edited:
Same here really Rose.
When I rang my G.P she asked how long I wanted to be signed off for, and when I said 6 weeks she said that it what she would have suggested.
As you say, I am feeling quite well, but that it with being at home and doing nothing more than pottering about x

Same here really Rose.
When I rang my G.P she asked how long I wanted to be signed off for, and when I said 6 weeks she said that it what she would have suggested.
As you say, I am feeling quite well, but that it with being at home and doing nothing more than pottering about x

Leanne - just noticed you lost 10 weeks in the first week post-op ?! That's amazing ! Did you put any on in hospital ? I put on 10 lbs :eek: I'm sure it's all fluid and I'm just waiting for it to disappear before I weigh myself.

I don't do pottering very well... thank god for the internet - without it I'd be REALLY bored haha !!! x

Sinead, your manager has a duty to respect your privacy as your employer and could actually be in breach of a confidentiality procedure or indeed dignity at work policy if he/she shares the reason for you being off sick! As everyone has said its one thing to be sitting at home doing not very much but when you go back to work you will feel tired so please ladies if its financially viable for you please take your time and make sure you are fully recovered xx

Leanne - just noticed you lost 10 weeks in the first week post-op ?! That's amazing ! Did you put any on in hospital ? I put on 10 lbs :eek: I'm sure it's all fluid and I'm just waiting for it to disappear before I weigh myself.

I don't do pottering very well... thank god for the internet - without it I'd be REALLY bored haha !!! x

Hi I put on 10lbs too in the first couple of days but it was all fluid and by the end of the first week I think Id lost 17lbs
x

Hi I put on 10lbs too in the first couple of days but it was all fluid and by the end of the first week I think Id lost 17lbs
x

17 lbs !!! :eek::eek: WOW !
OK, I will not get on the scales yet... I will not get on the scales yet... :D

Back