• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Terrified I've messed up

dmad

Hi all

I might be getting myself into a mither over nothing but I'd really appreciate your advice - especially you post opers.

I'm 10 days post op today, I've only lost 3kilos, but that was in the first 6 days, I haven't lost anything since? A couple of things are going through my head - has my band slipped - this is my biggest worry or is my calorie intake just too high?

I had to be hospitalised on Friday for constipation and I was told I had to eat better, soup and smoothies wasn't doing it, especially with Tramadol and Co-codomal, I'm a vegetarian so this whole food thing is tough anyway.

The BOSPA say you can eat soft foods in the first two weeks, and I have been careful, I haven't eaten anything solid and I chew to death before I swallow. I haven't been sick, there is a tightness in my chest when I eat so I'm guessing I'm full.

I'm truly trying not to obsess about the weightloss, I've also not been very mobile due to the port pain and bum pain (sorry). but I am obsessing about the band slipping - how can you tell? Or am I just winding myself up?

Sorry for the whining folks, I just don't have anyone to talk to about this, my family and friends can't really be expected to understand.

Thanks all.
Denise x

Hi Denise. Firstly were they bariatric nurses that said you needed to eat? If so they probably wouldn't have a clue about how vital the different stages are to allow healing etc. being on solids now is way to soon and I'd be saying to take it back a stage or two! Follow your providers guidance. As for constipation I need even now to take something otherwise I'd never go! So i take dulcolax once a week to ensure there's no build up. I had the pain in the early days, bottom left..it was quite painful too! you just need something to help things on their way! X

Hi Jo

It was an A&E consultant I saw and he took advice from BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association. I can't for a second think these people would have it wrong, there website has been a very useful tool for me.

My first week I was liquids only (6 days of it) and since then it has been a combination of liquids and mashed/pureed food from the BOSPA site, for eg weetabix with milk (pure mush) and mashed potato and/or mashed vegetables. I'm still chewing to ensure it's a complete pulp before I swallow. This is purely about getting fibre in my diet. I had to have a surgical enema and it was the most painful experience of my life. I was taking 3 sachets of the very strong laxative Movicol a day and they weren't working.

I'm trying to find a balance, could I really have caused damage? I'll ring the hospital tomorrow I'm afraid I just don't really trust them which doesn't help.

Denise

Sorry but I'm really confused by your thread, you think your band has slipped after 10 days, why?

You havent eaten anything solid - but you say what you are having you chew, that must mean you are having more than just liquids?

What were you advised to eat for the first 2 weeks, then on the subsequent stages?

Why did the hospital say soups and smoothies mean you are not eating right - unless you are not taking in enough water etc?

We cant advise on calories etc unless you say what exactly you are having - but then we can only tell you what we have been advised.

You need to speak to your provider really, try not to worry so much though xx

Oh that's ok I was thinking you were on full roast dinners lol :)
I'm sure you've not done any damage but if it helps put your mind at rest you do right to get checked. I was talking to a friend yesterday about movical, her doc had said some kids can have 5 sachets a day if they have problems...so as an adult maybe 3 isn't excessive? I don't know however as never tried it. As I say my once a week pull keeps me clear thankfully. Hope you sort it all soon x

I'm 3 weeks post today and I hadnt lost for ten days, but finally starting to see a loss now, don't worry too much I think it's common x

Apparently the symptoms of a slippage are quite dramatic. They told me this when I was in a car accident the day u was discharged and was worrying. You'd probably be on a lot of pain and unable to eat, there's also a lot of vomiting apparently.

If it's not the toilet issues, it can also be that your body is adjusting to your new diet now it's realising that it's not a matter of a couple of days of fasting.

As long as you follow your post op diet sheet provided by your provider you wont go far wrong. As for the constipation I had that terribly and tried all sorts of remedies to get rid of it and after not going for 6 weeks I had to use glycerin suppositories every day to enable me to go and after a short few days I could go normally without any help and glad to say still going properly after nearly 2 years. If in doubt I would contact your supplier - Wishing you all the best - Julie xx

i had same problem and was told to up my fluid intake which i did
have only had to use something the once (wasnt a nice experiance )
i have went from a once a day to around every 2/3 days but no pain so thats ok

Back