• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Text confirming referral

Almondenco

Hi All, I've just received a text from my doctor saying that I've been referred to Sandwell.

I did a quick search for Sandwell on this site and now I'm a little worried as people have said the eligibility criteria is to have a BMI of over 50 with co-morbidities (my BMI is 44). Does anyone know of this has changed, or if there's anywhere to find the eligibility criteria? I could just ring them but wasn't sure if that was frowned upon!

Last edited:
Hi All, my name's Jenne and I've just received a text from my doctor saying that I've been referred to Sandwell & West Birmingham.

I did a quick search for Sandwell on this site and now I'm a little worried as people have said the eligibility criteria is to have a BMI of over 50 with co-morbidities (my BMI is 44). Does anyone know of this has changed, or if there's anywhere to find the eligibility criteria? I could just ring them but wasn't sure if that was frowned upon!
Hopefully your GP would have known what the BMI eligibility criteria is for your CCG area. In mine it is 35. You could ring your Clinical Commissioning Group and ask...
Did you look at the dates of those who had said about the over 50? It may be some time ago and it could have changed.

Hi All, my name's Jenne and I've just received a text from my doctor saying that I've been referred to Sandwell & West Birmingham.

You can call them :) you don't have to give your name but they have to legally answer your question lol. Fingers crossed! :)

Hello :) I love your picture!
Ring up and ask. Hopefully if your doctor has been able to refer you then you meet their BMI criteria x

Maybe the criteria of being over 50 was for direct surgery referral? They might have a tier 3 that you can be referred to - that is supervised weight loss program that can then lead to surgery after completion?

I would also suggest ringing your local CCG and ask what the area criteria is.

Hi all, thanks for your replies!

I contacted Sandwell directly asking them what the criteria was for surgery. They advised that they don't perform Bariatric Surgery but they will refer patients to Heartlands or Walsall Manor for that type of procedure, so I assume my referral is for the weight management team. I'm sure I'll learn more as soon as I receive the letter; I'm just being impatient and anxious as I've already been waiting fours years for this surgery! :)

Back