• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from Wimbledon (St George's hospital)

lllellielll

Hi everyone! It's my first post here. I was a bit apprehensive about writing earlier. It has been a long and tiresome journey for me with lots of delays and downfalls. So in a way I didn't want to keep my hopes high (in case I don't get anywhere (it's not as painful to fail this way)

I was initially referred a couple of years ago, when I still lived in Bromley. By the time I got to see the surgeon (the application process was quite different there and the surgeon, not GP applies for funding), the criteria changed in the borough. My BMI was 47 and 50 was needed.

Last June I moved to Raynes Park (Wimbledon) and went to my new GP straight away. She was very nice and applied for funding just a few weeks later.

My 1st appt was with a surgeon on the 24th of November. I saw the dietitian on the 8th of March and the phsychatrist on the 20th of May. Two weeks later at mdt meeting it was decided that I needed further input and should have a joint appointment with the dietitian and the bariatric nurse.
I had my appointment on the 15th and my case was discussed on the 20th. I still don't know why I needed that extra appointment because there was hardly anything to discuss after 3 appointments and 5 support group meetings that I have attended so far. Both Scott and Cathy knew me quite well from those meetings, so all we did was just had a bit of a laugh going through the same questions we have discussed so many times.

Well, I rang the nurse on the 20th to find out about the outcome and she told me that she was writing my waiting list card. Then Scott (my dietitian) emailed me to congratulate and then... well... the following morning my phone rang and I was offered the have my surgery on the... 13th of September. There was a cancellation at St Antony's on that day.

My pre-op is on the 1st of Sept. I am supposed to start my diet this Saturday but I am not sure if I should wait until Monday. My DD's birthday party is on unday and I still have a few questions about my medication, vitamins and other things on this diet.

I am really worried about going on this diet. I've tried some food (soups, shakes, etc) and I HATE them. Can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. I will be strong though. There's no way back.

I don't understand why they sent you back to see a nurse and the dietitian! What did they need to know in that appointment?

By the way well done on sticking with it and getting a date!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hello Newbie!

I don't understand why they sent you back to see a nurse and the dietitian! What did they need to know in that appointment?

By the way well done on sticking with it and getting a date!

I have no idea to be honest. I have depression so I guess that was the reason. They probably wanted to make sure that I knew what I was getting myself into. Apparently suicide rate among those who had gone through this type of surgery is quite high (that's what they told me anyway).

Hello, welcome and good luck!!! :) :) :) i am so happy for you :)

I think those extra apointments might have been just another little tick.. Just my personal opponion! :)

Anyway!! Its in the past now :)

Lets look into the brighter future that is ahead of you! ;)

Congrats on the date! St Anthony's is lovely and you will feel very well taken care off!

Back